• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam on Mac, ROHOS on Mac?

You can have compatibility with a new mobo, but most people aren't going to upgrade their motherboard unless they are building a new computer or their current motherboard dies. No, Macs are never going to cater to the system-builders out there who like the upgrade their rigs to the bleeding edge at every possibility, but saying you can't upgrade them at all is lying.

Upvote 0
Where they hell did you get this idea? Nearly all graphics, photography and video production businesses rely SOLELY on macs.

Well clearly they make the world function. Can you imagine a world without that? If they were down for even a day, Wall Street very well might collapse.

The mainframe at the newspaper I worked at ran on XServe,

Okay.........why?

and all of the graphics, photo, and video editing workstations were all macs. All the reporters had macbooks, and most of their workstations were imacs.

Until you've worked in every business, you're statement has no merit. It just isn't true.

As true as....say...Macs have no viruses?

It was a hyperbole. At any rate, graphics, photo, video editing workstations....didn't I say nothing IMPORTANT runs on a Mac? Coulda sworn I had that qualification somewhere....if not, consider it added.

(and for the record, half of my business relies on a macbook. So, I guess I don't exist) lol

My brother's a network engineer and he basically responded with "lol mac servers."

Aaaand.....voila.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/Apples_Server_Market_Share_Grows_273_From_Xserve/

A whopping 1.2%.

Upvote 0
You can upgrade Mac's quite easily, I slapped some extra RAM a replacement optical drive and extra HDD in a friends Mac for him, plus installed OSX Tiger (or whatever the latest version was). The only thing is there's a narrow list of hardware each platform will support and as long as you do the research and choose the right parts all is fine. Getting the things apart though is another case entirely :p

Also if you are thinking about doing this never ever go to the Apple shop to do it... EVER! This friend wanted to do that originally so after we researched the upgrade options and he chose what he wanted to do with it he went into an Apple store. The price they quoted him was ridiculous, it was literally quadruple the price of the hardware pieces and software combined. At that point he decided to go with what I suggested, he bought the hardware online and grabbed a copy of OSX, then I installed it all for a nice bottle of scotch :D

I really don't hate Mac's, I just really dislike the arrogant attitude a lot of Mac owners I run into have that Mac's are infinitely superior to everything else (I'm not sledging you or anything Bobdog). Especially since most of it is built on hype and miss information, like those Mac adds with the chick acting as a camera and 'just working' with the Mac but not the PC. Which considering 99.9% of cameras out there use USB and 'just work' with Windows PC's as well is just a flat out lie. Also everything Mac is just so heinously over priced and then there's those nutballs who treat Apple like some sort of deity, man those people are just scary! Plus the iPad is the biggest piece of hype driven crap I have ever seen especially given it's limitations and lack of data ports etc. Yet people are calling it revolutionary, it's basically a giant iPhone which cannot do half the things a real laptop can do. I guess you can really applaud Apple on their marketing, it is top notch and knows how to work it's niche.

Mac's have a place and are very good at certain things, and hey I am glad to see them getting the Steam love, I just hope the issues with non-source games can be overcome so they can enjoy the whole catalogue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just to be clear, I'm not even remotely impressed that you can upgrade the RAM and the hard drive.

You can upgrade the hard drive of an Xbox 360/PS3. You can upgrade the RAM of a laptop. Not exciting. Sorry.

Not to mention it virtually does nothing for you unless your RAM was a bottleneck in performance.

Upvote 0
I really don't hate Mac's, I just really dislike the arrogant attitude a lot of Mac owners I run into have that Mac's are infinitely superior to everything else (I'm not sledging you or anything Bobdog). Especially since most of it is built on hype and miss information, like those Mac adds with the chick acting as a camera and 'just working' with the Mac but not the PC. Which considering 99.9% of cameras out there use USB and 'just work' with Windows PC's as well is just a flat out lie. Also everything Mac is just so heinously over priced and then there's those nutballs who treat Apple like some sort of deity, man those people are just scary! Plus the iPad is the biggest piece of hype driven crap I have ever seen especially given it's limitations and lack of data ports etc. Yet people are calling it revolutionary, it's basically a giant iPhone which cannot do half the things a real laptop can do. I guess you can really applaud Apple on their marketing, it is top notch and knows how to work it's niche.

the starbucks/seattle of electronics hahaha.

Upvote 0

Uh Oh..what the heck :p

While i'd not get too excited about any news from phoronix anymore (they proved to turn out just a major rumor site in the past...) ...this looks definately interesting. Just had a look at the client files posted here:

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showpost.php?p=123496&postcount=3

and this stuff doesn't look like the steam dedicated server tool (which was my initial suspicion when i read that news :p), might give 'em a try later.

W00t, Valve! Though all this goodness comes 4-5 years too late, at least for me: If this turns out to be real, this is the way to go!

greetz,
gitano

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really don't hate Mac's, I just really dislike the arrogant attitude a lot of Mac owners I run into have that Mac's are infinitely superior to everything else (I'm not sledging you or anything Bobdog)

agreed. mac users are cocky as hell. i don't get it. :rolleyes:

Plus the iPad is the biggest piece of hype driven crap I have ever seen especially given it's limitations and lack of data ports etc. Yet people are calling it revolutionary, it's basically a giant iPhone which cannot do half the things a real laptop can do.

Indeed. it's pretty handy to have lying on the table for when you want to look something up but don't want to lug out your laptop or turn on the pc, but for 500 bucks? no freaking way.

it is a proprietary piece of crap bigass iphone

the starbucks/seattle of electronics hahaha.

starbucks? sure. but starbucks does not represent the rest of seattle at all. I want those haiku writing mother****ers out of my goddamn city.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Heyho,

Well this is what the client does so far, at least here:

YouTube - test-0000.mpeg

Draws no interface, nothing to get excited about.. though one really might wonder about all the recent graphic stuff in the subfolders hinting towards an actual graphic client.

And a few libraries (vgui2_s.so at least) in the linux32 subfolder really seemed have been linked against some graphics libs

Code:
gitano@Alhambra:~/Dokumente/Steam$ ldd linux32/vgui2_s.so
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xf774e000)
        libtier0_s.so => not found
        libvstdlib_s.so => not found
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libX11.so.6 (0xf7302000)
        libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1 (0xf725b000)
        libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libfontconfig.so.1 (0xf722e000)
        libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libfreetype.so.6 (0xf71af000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib32/libm.so.6 (0xf7189000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf7185000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib32/libpthread.so.0 (0xf716b000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf774f000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf7026000)
        libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libxcb.so.1 (0xf7008000)
        libGLcore.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libGLcore.so.1 (0xf609f000)
        libnvidia-tls.so.1 => /usr/lib32/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1 (0xf609d000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXext.so.6 (0xf608c000)
        libz.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libz.so.1 (0xf6076000)
        libexpat.so.1 => /lib32/libexpat.so.1 (0xf604f000)
        libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXau.so.6 (0xf604b000)
        libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xf6046000)
Well... it sounds interesting indeed, one might hope. Or not? Poor gitano almost lost his hope few years ago :p

greetz,
gitano

Upvote 0
Nope, i think this is just another phoronix drumbeat-to-nothing.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14588887&postcount=16

Makes sense to me, they're updating their dedicated server client which will share stuff for the end user Steam clients on the server side. Which explains the graphics included in these packages.

Anyways. We're getting a bit off-topic here, the initial question of this thread was wether RO:HOS might come to the Mac, now that Steam on OS-X is a fact.

Well, personally after counting all the bits of information together i think this could most likely happen. No matter what prevented Epic in releasing UT3 for Linux/ Mac (supposed to be some middleware/ legal issues as mentioned sometime ago):

It is up to Tripwire to avoid such traps, they own a copy of the Unreal engine 3 license, they share a 4-5 years relationship/ experience with Valve, they have one of the world's ablest Linux/ OS-X game coders aboard... and i simply trust into their sense of taste ;).

Well, if these are no good reasons... i dunno :D.

greetz,
gitano

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Heya,

Nope, i think this is just another phoronix drumbeat-to-nothing.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14588887&postcount=16

Makes sense to me, they're updating their dedicated server client which will share stuff for the end user Steam clients on the server side. Which explains the graphics included in these packages.

Well, it seems like i have to correct myself here, the files found on the Valve servers (and apparently updated by Valve) definately seem to be some kinda steam client in-the-works:

image.php

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODIwNQ

Some phoronix user wrote a patch that lets the client at least show some kinda splash screen. Nothing functional at all ;) But looks rather promising :)

*edit*
Nope, not photoshopped, this IS real ;) YouTube - native Steam Linux client prealpha?
*edit*

greetz,
gitano

Last edited:
Upvote 0
seeing as the latest news reveals TW's two games RO and KF will be available on mac, a mac release for HOS does sound plausible :)

Nope, it doesn't. Not until it is clarified what exactly prevents UT3 from being released on Mac/ Linux.
And, if it is indeed a middleware/ legal issue, if the same issues would apply to a 3rd party company like TWI using the same engine.

Until that problem is not clarified or UT3 for Mac/ Linux is not finally released, i believe nothing ;).

Until TWI actually drops a statement or at least a hint, that is...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When Steam hits Mac, the hype train will start speeding towards trainstation Unreal Engine 3.x.
And if not, Epic Games will probably loose a few future licencees. Remember that Steam is a very (I mean VERY) powerful platform, Valve (and particularly Apple) is a very powerful company.

Believe it, or not, something will happen. If Valve actually releases Steam for Mac... on time.

Upvote 0