• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam on Mac, ROHOS on Mac?

It would be nice to see it appear on mac (and linux). But if I recall correctly UT3 was never ported to mac, so if that couldn't happen then I think the chances of ROHOS making it are pretty slim. As most likely middle ware would have been the issue in the porting job of UT3, and TWI probably uses the same middle ware.

PhysX which is used as the Physics engine in UE3 for instance simply doesn't support the Mac, so unless TWI would be able to persue nvidia or change the physics engine. There probably wont be a mac version.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Heya!

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3569/

3 simple letters:

W
T
F

I still cannot believe this.

@Case: How long have we been ranting over this now? 4 years? 5 years? Finally a dream come true or at least a step closer to that dream :).

No, seriously, this is excellent news. Just...imagine the possibilities.

Even considering the cruelty of live that right now, while this wish of many steam users finally comes true, a UE3 port for Linux/ Mac still has to be delivered. *Sigh*

Well, one may only remain hoping... that the UT3 client already cooked by Ryan "Icculus" Gordon finally gets out in time... that the same guy gets a chance and the time to have a look at a RO:HOS port...and, well. Would be too good to be true.

OK.

Here's my deal:

If TWI gets "Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad" released on OSX and Steam for OSX and/ or gets released on Linux and a possible Steam on Linux within half a year (means 182 days, 12hours, counting on GMT) after its release on Windows and Steam for Windows:

I will gift 5 copies of that above mentioned game to the first 5 members who will pm me that day.

This is serious.

If i might be unemployyed by that time i'll bloody rent the money. If it will be released the same days the Windows client, i'll be even more happy to gift. If it gets released after that period i *might* (no..seriously, i will) buy it for myself. If it never gets released at all: well, worlds will collide :p.

Take care, have fun and cya around, droogies!

greetz,
gitano

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have and always will hate Macs. We had them at the newspaper I worked at and they were more of a pain in the @ss than pc's. And that was doing loads of graphics work.

lol, on the subject, it pisses me off when you see 99% of home computers portrayed in movies as being Macs. Yeah right :rolleyes:

:D :D :D

~edit: Yes, I'm a little off topic, but the more players the merrier in the end :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i also hate using Macs and hate how their commericals are somewhat misleading......fact is PC = 90% and Mac = 10% of total market shares. of course, that's cause Mac's business plan is to market more expensive products. interesting article i read, sales of computers costing more than $1000, Mac actually holds 90%, meaning the stats are reversed. so the large majority of consumers own and use PCs primarily because they are cheaper and more accessible. because of that Mac will probably never overtake PC as the top seller in the general market.

BUT......that's just my personal taste

i don't care what computer you use. it's your preference and your choice. i also think it's messed up how something like Steam remains restricted to PCs. they are missing out on loads of potential customers because of it. hopefully this is a sign that Valve will finally be smart enough to get a port for Mac users. just good, smart business. anything for more players!!!! :)

Upvote 0
Guys, too many "if's" here, regarding Valve, Steam and Mac.

This seems to be the real deal. Really.

Check out the official news again:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/3569/:

Valve announced today it will bring Steam, Valve's gaming service, and Source, Valve's gaming engine, to the Mac.

Steam and Valve's library of games including Left 4 Dead 2, Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike, Portal, and the Half-Life series will be available in April.

"As we transition from entertainment as a product to entertainment as a service, customers and developers need open, high-quality Internet clients," said Gabe Newell, President of Valve. "The Mac is a great platform for entertainment services."

"Our Steam partners, who are delivering over a thousand games to 25 million Steam clients, are very excited about adding support for the Mac," said Jason Holtman, Director of Business Development at Valve. "Steamworks for the Mac supports all of the Steamworks APIs, and we have added a new feature, called Steam Play, which allows customers who purchase the product for the Mac or Windows to play on the other platform free of charge. For example, Steam Play, in combination with the Steam Cloud, allows a gamer playing on their work PC to go home and pick up playing the same game at the same point on their home Mac. We expect most developers and publishers to take advantage of Steam Play."

"We looked at a variety of methods to get our games onto the Mac and in the end decided to go with native versions rather than emulation," said John Cook, Director of Steam Development. "The inclusion of WebKit into Steam, and of OpenGL into Source gives us a lot of flexibility in how we move these technologies forward. We are treating the Mac as a tier-1 platform so all of our future games will release simultaneously on Windows, Mac, and the Xbox 360. Updates for the Mac will be available simultaneously with the Windows updates. Furthermore, Mac and Windows players will be part of the same multiplayer universe, sharing servers, lobbies, and so forth. We fully support a heterogeneous mix of servers and clients. The first Mac Steam client will be the new generation currently in beta testing on Windows."

Portal 2 will be Valve's first simultaneous release for Mac and Windows. "Checking in code produces a PC build and Mac build at the same time, automatically, so the two platforms are perfectly in lock-step," said Josh Weier, Portal 2 Project Lead. "We're always playing a native version on the Mac right alongside the PC. This makes it very easy for us and for anyone using Source to do game development for the Mac."

Support for the Mac in Source and Steamworks is available to third parties immediately. Interested developers should contact Jason Holtman at [email protected].

Not much reason to argue over that, i guess. And no reason at all to start one of those gazillions OS-flamebaits again, here.

The question raised in this thread was not wether Macs are superior to PC's or vice-versa, nor how your personal experiences/ preferences to one of these platforms are, but wether it will be likely to see UT3 alongside with RO:HOS now, or not.

Uh, Oh... i forget to mention... what about a final update for Ostfront, btw?!

Some fixes together with a Mac client, at long last? Tripwire? Alan? There's a promise to be fulfilled! :)

(/me would kill for that rather than for rohos, to be honest... roost and its mods finally on mac...arrgh, gitano's wet dreams come true :D)

So long and gn8,
gitano

Last edited:
Upvote 0