• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Standard Shotgun Reload Needs to be changed.

Sgt TastyWheat

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2011
I'm posting this in general instead of suggestions because I want others opinions. I'm not sure if this should be changed or remain the same.

The standard shotgun in the first killing floor (literally called just "shotgun") is the equivalent to killing floor 2's "SG 500 Pump-Action" I think we can all agree. They are both pump actions. Their both the lowest ranking shotgun and the cheapest.

Like KF's "Shotgun" the SG has single bullet reload, meaning you reload it one bullet at a time like a bolt action rifle. At any point during the reload you can stop and shoot, meaning if you are in a tight situation you don't need to wait for 8 shells(or how many your clip holds) to be loaded into the gun in order to start shooting. This has always been a great feature and I am happy to see it has transferred over into the next killing floor installment. Tripwire has always taken pride in their weapons feel and look and they did a great job this game.

Yet this is still Pre-release and something strange caught me off gaurd using the SG. Usually in the first KF i would begin to reload the shotgun just to have a Zed pop up at the wrong time. There WERE three ways to stop the reloading of the shotgun.

1. shoot.
2. aim down sights.
3. change weapons.

The second option is not present in KF2. Meaning if a zed jumps up on you during reload you must either A: "prey and spray" as the reverend puts it, or B: change weapons and suffer the punishment of a changing weapons animation. Or of course C: take damage until you are done reloading.

In the first KF i would always click the right mouse button to aim down sights in order to stop my reload animation and prepare to shoot. Why was this taken out? and Should it be added back in. Everyone's thoughts?

Here is a video of the reloading I am referring to in killing floor 1. Notice how I go from reloading and before I have a full clip I aim down sights and the animation stops. It starts about 20 seconds in.

Edit: Liknk didn't post first time. Sorry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAZ1kcVgC6I&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
You can also cancel a reload by using your bash attack (which is the ideal response to suddenly getting jumped by a lesser zed anyways)

I think someone said you can also cancel reloads by running, but I haven't been in the habit of doing that.

It is true that bash would be the first reaction if one jumped up on you. What if you saw one about 6 or 7 ft away. Your reaction would be to lift your gun and shoot but as of now all you can do is hip shoot.

Upvote 0
I have to agree. Enemies move a heck of a lot faster on higher difficulties, and the ability to cancel your reload and take action at any time becomes very important. The action you take does not matter, what matters is that you can do it unhindered, at any time. I don't care if its a bash, sprinting away from a Scrake, lining up a shot, etc, you still need to be able to do it as required.

Last edited:
Upvote 0