• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

STALKER Mega-Thread; Clear Skies are Coming!

Man I'd love to go into that huge wide opened space left of Prypyat... Would make for some awesome stalking with less shooting and more like the movie.

Speaking of which, if you guys liked Tarkovsky's movie, you should probably investigate the book that started it all. Its called "Picnic by the side of the road" (or any variation of it), written by the Strugatsky brothers. Its pretty damn awesome, and you can probably find an English version on the webbernet somewhere.

Upvote 0
Next patch is supposed to make the game not end once you beat it either. You can keep doing whatever. *thumbs up*
It'd make the storyline a bit confusing though. Not like you can just go back to stalking once its over. Either way, the devs are definitely not done with this game. There's unused code everywhere.

Oh, and my guess at what the Zone would actually look like in the real zone.
untitled2ju2.jpg

Upvote 0
Best game iv played in my life.

My 8800gts and dual core etc etc run it fully max with no crashes once in game
I get a few crashes loading when first starting game but thats avoidable by loading a earlyer save then my last save.

I get good FPS but I do get the random freeze thingy people complain about but it is only when im sprinting in open ground and it never has effected gameplay.

Game seems to have massive room for expansion and personaly it seems very rushed and semi ruined but its still
the best game I have played.

Upvote 0
The thing is you need to have replay value in a game created soley for singleplayer (we all know the multi player is there just because it's not that hard to make (convert from singleplayer) a few Deathmatch maps and have people run around in them trying to murder each other. Multiplayer isn't the focus of Stalker unlike RO or other FPS's. I'm starting another game but when you see all the same missions comming up in the same order and that you already know EXACTLY the outcome why would you find it interesting to play the game more than once? I gotta talk to this guy, then go here defend this guy (from himself) It's all "connect the dots" linearity. I bypassed huge areas to get to freedom base and of course the exact same scripted events happened all along my route but on top of that I now have a huge "backlog" of mandatory missions that must be done whether I choose or not. Follow the yellow brick road. Stalker needs to lose the entrenched scripting of everything and dismantle it's linear gameplay completely ( I realize this is basically asking for an entire rework of the game) and then it will truely be one of the best games ever, not until then though.

Upvote 0
WOW: http://www.megaupload.com/se/?d=QVSSQ9HD (got link from official forum thread on "cut content")

Now I know why the game took so long for so little.....they cut seemingly everything that would've made the game better and redid the (existing) weapons more than once wasting time & resources. I can't believe it, what a sad outcome & squandered content. I'm confident it has something to do with "the big bosses" demanding Stalker be a mold pressed "linear O thon" and that it needed to curb it's ambition. Too bad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
waddler, you could try wearing artifacts that boost your endurance, so that the effects of encumbrance are minimised. I haven't tested that out, though.

Well I heard that the exo-skeleton suit increases the weight you can carry to 70kg but you cant sprint in it.
You need to find artefacts that boost your endurance though.
Combine a few of them and you'll have a never-ending sprint(if you're in the weight limit,ofcourse).

Thanks for the hints guys, I shall keep my eyes open for these things next time I play.:D

Though that may be a while, I'm giving it a rest for a few days. It's a great game and all, but it seems to be getting a little repetitive. I just left X18 and I feel like I'm either hauling loot back and forth over the same suprisingly constrictive environments, or I'm leaving everything and just run n' gunning through derelict warehouses. Great fun but not if it's all you're doing. I feel this could benefit from some kind of fast travel mod like Oblivions, so I don't have to trek through Garbage accumulating failed missions whenever I want to see the first trader, though I'm probably in the minority on that one.

On the plus side though, the atmosphere is terrific and most things look eerily beautiful, appropriate given the source material, speaking of which...

if you guys liked Tarkovsky's movie, you should probably investigate the book that started it all. Its called "Picnic by the side of the road" (or any variation of it), written by the Strugatsky brothers. Its pretty damn awesome, and you can probably find an English version on the webbernet somewhere.

I've been meaning to pick this up for a while, thanks for the head's up or I probably would have forgotten it again, it's now on my shopping list. And...

You, sir, are a Godsend, it's nice to know I wont have to wait for it to arrive before getting to read it, a hearty thanks to you too.:)

Upvote 0
All the 'Locations' pictures refering to the railway are in the game, there inside the freedom base.
I know that, that old media pack wasn't put together by me. However the one main difference is the old freedom base has a hind instead of the junkyard mechanic facility in game now. Not a earth shattering difference for sure. I really like Stalker for a awesome "one time through" experience but there is no replay value because the game is linear so once you've beat it once there's not much different to look forward to the next time around. If it was non-linear I would be all over it time and time again, sadly it's very linear. It's like Call of duty, great singleplayer experience but only good for one time then the multiplayer is where you go for long term interest. Unfortunately I didn't buy Stalker with any intentions of playing its rudimentary Deathmatch multiplayer as my primary focus. Single player games can't be linear and hope to have any staying power. Great game, but could've been SO SO SO much greater.

Upvote 0