• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

STALKER Mega-Thread; Clear Skies are Coming!

taken from this review at Gamespy:

Our biggest problem, as mentioned at the outset, is that we've had trouble keeping S.T.A.L.K.E.R. running for any extended period of time. Trying to navigate the game's menus, whether it's to change keyboard settings or simply save the game, has repeatedly caused the game to shut down and return to Windows every two or three times we've tried, resulting in countless amounts of lost gameplay. Regular attempts to save the game have resulted in the game simply quitting every five or ten minutes. And, every time the game has quit on us, all of the video and keyboard settings have reset to their defaults, so after the 20th unceremonious shutdown, we simply gave up on trying to adjust the settings and plowed ahead at 1024x768.

In talks with THQ, it appears the most likely cause of our problems was our choice of test machine: a high-end rig running Windows Vista with a GeForce 8800 GTX video card. Reportedly, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was designed for (and will run far more stable under) Windows XP, and NVIDIA's Vista drivers for the 8800 series are still evolving (we tried both the official drivers and 32-bit beta drivers, with similar results). A patch is expected soon, with better Vista compatibility as one of the goals

The Eurogame review didn't mention any of this, so I guess they were running on XP.

Upvote 0
Eurogamer review...looks good to me.
Wow...I'm salivating now. The main bad part mentioned was how you are sometimes unaware you are on a mission but eh, I'm betting they will fix that in a patch. So those military Stalkers are real hostile toward loners it seems: http://www.oblivion-lost.de/index.php?zone=design2〈=en&page=static&static_page=npc

Cool, I plan on harvesting some quality gear from them then, hehe. I can't wait to "fight the power". It seems I'll be making alot of longrange headshots (or wherever they have weak points,..I'll find them/get them somehow) from concealed positions, I'm ready. Also I thought I heard you can store excess gear wherever and come get it later when you need it. Is that true?

Upvote 0
There are two sides, on one side I love it on the other side I hate it.

The atmosphere is very good, especcially in canalisation or places like that(engaging the first blood****er & controller was great). But then again ... first off, it runs like ****. Currently I'm running it on Minimum settings & 800x600, and even there is still doesn't run very good(I'd say 30fps on average). Sure my pc is rather old(radeon 9800 pro, 1gig ram, athlon 2600+) but I'd still expect it to run good on 1024x768 and low settings. Then there's the lack of ragdolls(at least it seems so) which makes everything seem rather unrealistic, especcially as most animations ****. You can hardly notice if you hit someone and at least to me it seems that all weapons are extremely unaccurate, even on semi-fire, while the enemies always hit you.

Upvote 0
There are two sides, on one side I love it on the other side I hate it.

The atmosphere is very good, especcially in canalisation or places like that(engaging the first blood****er & controller was great). But then again ... first off, it runs like ****. Currently I'm running it on Minimum settings & 800x600, and even there is still doesn't run very good(I'd say 30fps on average). Sure my pc is rather old(radeon 9800 pro, 1gig ram, athlon 2600+) but I'd still expect it to run good on 1024x768 and low settings. Then there's the lack of ragdolls(at least it seems so) which makes everything seem rather unrealistic, especcially as most animations ****. You can hardly notice if you hit someone and at least to me it seems that all weapons are extremely unaccurate, even on semi-fire, while the enemies always hit you.

Set lighting to static and then crank everything to max on your graphics card + ingame big performance boost and looks good.

Upvote 0
Could try it out for a few hours.

Quite nice and atmospheric, but I have yet to encounter a weapon that does hit where you aim (over ironsights).
And silenced weapons are quite useless, as you can't sneak up on enemies anyway.
And finally, the weapons really do feel weak. Headshots are instakills, but even in close range, hitting the head of someone is luck, due to the very inaccurate weapons.

Upvote 0
Is there an option to play with no cross a la ro? And if so, do you use it? (be honest :p )
As far as I know (getting the game tomorrow), you can disable the crosshair, but loose ID-ability.

P.s.
A buddy found a userfile, and turned 'always run' off, this makes the constant head bobbing effect go away unless running, which makes the game all the more enjoyable.
Ok... found some neat settings in a file called 'user.ltx', it's in a weird place on my PC (C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\STALK-SHOC). I changed always run to off and it made all the difference. The head bobbing is now not an issue, it was making me a bit motion sick at first.
He's running on Vista, so on XP, the file might be in another folder (maybe in MyDocuments?).

Upvote 0