• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Speedhack detected ruining the game for many

agelistrator

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 24, 2013
Athens-greece
Bought the game few weeks ago during sale,something i wanted to do for quite some time now,as i loved the general idea behind it,and the focus to realism,i play on wireless,with signal strength above 75%,and so far i am only able to play on two servers i found that have the speedhack "detection" disabled,every time i join another server than those two,i play for 5-10 minutes and then get autokicked,it's the only game where i have problems,and it ruins my experience,i can play other online fpses with latency ranging from 30 to 200 with no problems at all,i cant for the life of me understand why this speedhack detection is in game,implemented this way,making legit players unable to play where they want to,as it ruins the experience for many that are not as fortunate as me to find the mentioned servers,or are obliged due to house layout to use a router,i love tha game so far but if that speedhack crap is not resolved soon i wont be buying the next expansion,i'm sure than many as me,had to stop playing the game due to this faulty detection,which lately is driving me nuts,and no,i wont be plugging my ethernet cable,i wont change something that worked fine for years for an amazing game with faulty netcode,2 years after release.

two problems i see.
one, you should have posted this in the tech help forum.
two, saying you're unwilling to hook up an ethernet cable to even find out if it works, will automatically turn people off who would normaly help you. the previous poster is a great example of that.
your post comes off as just a whine thread, with no real interest in getting help. (other than TWI doing it for you). if you really want to play, get in the support forum and start reading up on speedhack. plenty of threads. if you still can't figure it out, open your own thread asking for help.
i have a feeling you're not going to try though.:eek:

Upvote 0
old news. get over it, minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things. yes we'd like it to be fixed, but it does not completely ruin the game.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. Mostly its the message repeatedly coming up instead of just once. Still its a very rare deal.

If its really bugging you, play on a different server (if its the server) or if its your own connection, look into it.

Upvote 0
old news. get over it, minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things. yes we'd like it to be fixed, but it does not completely ruin the game.

Why so harsh? This is a big turn off to new players.

Not everyone has the capability to have a hardwired connection. I was forced to drill a whole in my wall to run a connection through or give the game up. This is an issue related to how punkbuster if I does things, remember correctly, so it would be nice if TWI could get this cleared up once and for all.

Upvote 0
I maybe came of a bit offensive,but honestly,i guess that many people that tried the game on the free weekend got turned off due to that faulty speedhack detection,it ruins the experience for many,it doesnt detect speedhacks at all,and it just screws the experience for many that dont have a steady connection due to the country they live in,their connection in general,or even using wireless,honestly,it is a huge bug in the game,since it doesn't do what it is supposed to,but it's messing with honest and non cheating players,making the experience worse in every way possible,since it is disabled on some servers,and it works fine,since on those two servers i play on i never found a hacker(they still have punkbuster and vac enabled) i don't find a reason for it being enabled,it just drives people away from the game,it's the first time in my 6 years playing on wireless that i have an issue such as this,and the fix is easy.

Upvote 0
Ask you server admin to turn off the speed hack detection. Problem solved. However after that you are not allowed to complain about suspected hackers.

Though from my experience in Australia, the Aussie / NZ server it has had PB turned off almost since day I and recently speed hack detection was turned off off. I can't say I have seen any convincing proof of anyone hacking.

But maybe that is because Aussies will only cheat at kangaroos races. I speedhack my roo all the time for the town races.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I maybe came of a bit offensive,but honestly,i guess that many people that tried the game on the free weekend got turned off due to that faulty speedhack detection,it ruins the experience for many,it doesnt detect speedhacks at all,and it just screws the experience for many that dont have a steady connection due to the country they live in,their connection in general,or even using wireless,honestly,it is a huge bug in the game,since it doesn't do what it is supposed to,but it's messing with honest and non cheating players,making the experience worse in every way possible,since it is disabled on some servers,and it works fine,since on those two servers i play on i never found a hacker(they still have punkbuster and vac enabled) i don't find a reason for it being enabled,it just drives people away from the game,it's the first time in my 6 years playing on wireless that i have an issue such as this,and the fix is easy.

You must not have played many MMOs back in their heyday, I'm guessing.

I ran a wireless connection back when they were somewhat infant about 10 years ago.
I hated having to use it. Regardless of the game, wireless connections proved to be a huge pain when it came to game performance.

Now, they have gotten much better, but not perfect.
Moving my Router and Modem and hard-wiring it to my Xbox and PC was one of the best choices I have ever made.
I might see the Speedhack glitch once every 6 games for about half a second. It is quite rare.

But remember it's not necessarily TWI's fault.
The problem is Punkbuster requiring a good consistent connection and how the server responds to your connection.
CS:S is a good example of how these kinds of problems still occur, regardless of how good the release is or how quick the bugs are fixed. I'm not sure how dated the games are that you have been playing, but everything from World Of Warcraft to Mechwarrior 4 played horribly on my wireless setup.

TL;DR: Improve the connection to your rig, or just ignore the message. It's not a game-breaking issue.

Upvote 0
hey agelistrator,
sry for the harsh words you're getting. I don't have the technical knowledge to work around the speed hack and connection problem of yours! Sry for that.

Feel free to add me on steam so we ca team up on a server you can access without problems. Ideally ranked realism.

You do not come off as offensive, you are infact navigating the subjective dread of most poeple quite heroically and you should never give up doing so. ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses guys,i know that playing on wireless certainly has it's downsides,but for many it's the easy,or maybe only way to go,the reason i didn't post at technical support,is that i searched everywhere for a solution to my problem,and i didn't make that post to find one,i know that plugging in my ethernet cable,moving my router etc might solve the problem(a problem that i only have with red orchestra 2 mind you),but i'm not able to due to house layout,as are many.So i posted this in general because i think it affects many people,that will not try as me to find a solution,and-or server to enjoy this very good game,and that this issue,just makes the community smaller,as it disallows many people from staying in a server for more than 5-10 minutes for no legit reason other than having an unstable connection,for whatever reason that might be,router,wireless,country they live in etc...

Ps i used to raid on wireless with a quite hardcore guild in wow,no problems at all (from the burning crusade and after expansion,i used to play with ethernet on when house layout allowed it,in the naxx-aq40 days,and when i jumped to wireless i didn't notice a difference at all,and latency-game feel remained actually the same)

Ps When i ping my router,the jump adds one ms of latency,i am not an expert,but i guess that if i have 100ms latency in a game with ethernet on,on wireless that would be 101,no big difference i'd say,mind you,my router is a quite expensive one,although from 2008,and i always try to keep signal strength at the maximum possible value

Ps Thanks raw,i too play mainly classic realism,and occasionally hardcore,on the three servers that i can play on no problem(yesterday night i found one more with speedhack detection disabled!yay me!)i also guess we are from the same country,if i judge from the gr :p,if you want to add me i play by the name Ageli[str]to|2,i searched you and didn't find you

Upvote 0
Many server Admins have turned the Speed Hack Detection off because of the high rate of false positives it generates. All you need do is find those servers with it turned off.

Nomad, are you not an admin on several servers (or have significant influence on their setup)?

Is this thread just a roundabout way of telling people you guys have removed the speedhack detection, so they are welcome there if they have issues?

Upvote 0