• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

some ideas

vauzwei

Oct 15, 2022
- doin quests to keep zed lvl low/lower
like hold/destroy/defend something or lower the overrun lvl withe find/hunt/deserter somezed/something
- it keeps higher if u lose or even not do a quest
like lights out in an area (if u not eqipt a night vision or an nightvison/light attechment on weapon ^^ :p )
- maybe get drugs to reduce some punishment effekts?
like bad aim, reload time, crying(noise), reduce defence, lower dmg or medic for berserker or other perks

Upvote 0
...Uh?

What type of quests do you have in mind? Something akin to the objectives we've seen in KF2? Because those get pretty repetitive REALLY FAST. And I don't think keeping the zeds level low will make anyone happy, except maybe beginner players. If anything : veterans are begging for some new challenges.

I really don't understand what your second suggestion is supposed to mean, I'm sorry.

By drugs, do you mean stuff that can temporarily enhance your capabilities? I could see it being an interesting new equipment category in KF3, yeah. But I guess it would be stupidly hard to balance... Unless if you balance the game around those items. Which could be fun, but also either turn every guns into peashooters (you NEED the drug-enhancing items to stay up to snuff) or make even the worst situations trivial. But considering the effects you're listing (crying???) I wonder if you're actually offering nerfs. What those nerfs would actually apply to remains a mystery.

Upvote 0
What type of quests:
only quest where u can get consequences from
-like if u not repair some electric stuff next round some light in some rooms get off or u get weapon boxes unlock if u do
(maybe dlc weapons to test or random hrg weapons withe full atechments)
or if u not close some ventiles next round the air will be poisend/ or heal u if u do
or if u not find and destroy some turrets they work next round against u or withe u if u do
or if u not find and kill elite trupp they will be spawn in boss fight/ or raise the number of zeds in wave or u get extra money if u do
and so on...
so if u lose a quest or 2 on hell on earth next round will be hell on earth ^^ withe some rooms are deadly or close etc

By drugs:
it could be easy handeld if u could imply adrenalin "drug" in ure heal injektor from 0 to 100%
so a berserker get 100% adrenalin and 0% heal bonus because he heal himself withe his weapons and throu kills etc..

some different zeds do different punishment effect and they can be lowered by adrenalin in ure heal injektor

punishment effects
like witch scream let u hear less good withe steps or teammates from 0 to 90% (i need heal!!! what? oO) xD
scrake punish u wihle hard hit withe panic and u can only run away on panic for 5 sec
the fat zed spit on u and u get "blinded" like in kf2 but ur aime get bad as hiher the punishment
flashpound slow u down on hit and crippled u slower and slower as higher the punishment

any high punishment effect can activate a reaction like screaming, crying etc from char for the atmosphere

on hoe could a high punishment activate paranoia? so teammates look like zeds and can get friendly fire ^^

so u can get adrenaline if u do fatalatys withe knife. so it could work

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What type of quests:
only quest where u can get consequences from
-like if u not repair some electric stuff next round some light in some rooms get off or u get weapon boxes unlock if u do
(maybe dlc weapons to test or random hrg weapons withe full atechments)
or if u not close some ventiles next round the air will be poisend/ or heal u if u do
or if u not find and destroy some turrets they work next round against u or withe u if u do
or if u not find and kill elite trupp they will be spawn in boss fight/ or raise the number of zeds in wave or u get extra money if u do
and so on...
so if u lose a quest or 2 on hell on earth next round will be hell on earth ^^ withe some rooms are deadly or close etc
Basically the mini objectives given or similar to it like on the map Airship, but with actual consequences for not completing or insufficient work on said objective. I see where you're going at this, but I can tell how this wouldn't work out well on survival mode. Imagine the team receive an objective on the other side of map for example, "repair the circuit boards at X locations or else lose power for the remainder of the next round or full match". Now the team has to travel across the map to complete said objective and guess what, the game decides to spawn 3-4 raging FPs at the team's tracks. Now majority of the team is either severely hurt or dead. This results in said objective to be incomplete or insufficient because the team had to compensate for the lost of manpower, and now have to deal lower map visibility. Although the case I mention is an extreme one however it paints a picture on how these mini objectives adds unnecessary difficulty for the wrong reasons even worse if RNG is against you.

By drugs:
it could be easy handeld if u could imply adrenalin "drug" in ure heal injektor from 0 to 100%
so a berserker get 100% adrenalin and 0% heal bonus because he heal himself withe his weapons and throu kills etc..

some different zeds do different punishment effect and they can be lowered by adrenalin in ure heal injektor

punishment effects
like witch scream let u hear less good withe steps or teammates from 0 to 90% (i need heal!!! what? oO) xD
scrake punish u wihle hard hit withe panic and u can only run away on panic for 5 sec
the fat zed spit on u and u get "blinded" like in kf2 but ur aime get bad as hiher the punishment
flashpound slow u down on hit and crippled u slower and slower as higher the punishment

any high punishment effect can activate a reaction like screaming, crying etc from char for the atmosphere

on hoe could a high punishment activate paranoia? so teammates look like zeds and can get friendly fire ^^

so u can get adrenaline if u do fatalatys withe knife. so it could work
I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by "adrenaline drugs" are you saying that you can administer these drugs into the syringe. Providing physical enhancements with some trade off such as unable to heal similar to the power ups you get on Hellmark Station? If so, then I really don't see a place for it since these drugs too situational for common use.

As for punishment effects, saying that certain zeds can cause players to suffer cripple limbs or paranoia? Resulting in slower reload/movement speed on crippled hands/legs respectively or have no control of your character for a few seconds? If that's the case then it would not work for kf3 because the zeds already are punishing on the higher difficulties with their attacks such as the husk deadly flamethrower attack up close and crawlers/stalkers able to deal a good chuck of your health in few swift attacks. If zeds can cause the players to lose control for a few seconds then players will be frustrated at that given our experiences with the EDAR trappers. If players can be paranoid and accidentally cause friendly fire, then I already see how greifers can purposefully destroy matches given with such opportunity.

Reactions: OnionBubs
Upvote 0
On the other hand, it looks like people are just camping in one place. But when I see what task awaits me and what consequences await me, I can still decide whether to take the risk or not. What you describe is the worst example of how players can decide. But if you go further, the option would be that allows the player to enjoy camping that they love and rewards them with certain tasks or makes them easier in an emergency, then it is a step forward for the player, the game and the map designer xD
If we limit ourselves to adrenaline, which can be injected with a life syringe, this could be the tipping point between equipment, lives and the abilities of the various characters. From a situational point of view, a high and slowly depleting adrenaline value could enable a good start in long-range combat at the beginning of the round, a fast and depleting value could be helpful in close combat, while a constantly increasing value towards the end of the round enables an easier conclusion, such as running away as the last survivor Damage and effects such as slowing down of oppressive properties at a high value. So the doctor has something to do sometimes xD
With random and short effects as well as cooldowns at different difficulty levels you could make the Zeds stronger and more fearsome.
Effects like "Paranoid" would then occur for a short time when hit at the highest level with little adrenaline, limiting the friendly fire damage to 1%.

It would be an interesting mechanic

Upvote 0
Emphasis mine:
On the other hand, it looks like people are just camping in one place. But when I see what task awaits me and what consequences await me, I can still decide whether to take the risk or not. What you describe is the worst example of how players can decide. But if you go further, the option would be that allows the player to enjoy camping that they love and rewards them with certain tasks or makes them easier in an emergency, then it is a step forward for the player, the game and the map designer xD
That's a lot of reinventing the wheel for something that has a pretty easy solution: tweak the spawn system and you fix the problem of camping being the best viable tactic in most cases.

There is a reason why good players park the bus with hitscan teams or Zerkwalling in the highest difficulties: in most maps, it forces the wacky spawning system to play on the party's terms, rather than the other way around. The primary skill left to develop after that is good old-fashioned marksmanship, i.e. "kill them before they reach you." With Zerkwalling you don't even need to worry about that part since you can spam your way to victory.

The spawn system in KF2's current iteration exists largely as a response of sorts to players kiting infinitely as was done in KF1. What it winds up doing in practice, however, is turning maps in to an enormous dice roll when trying to escape from a bad situation, and attempting to run away from a broken hold point could either be completely harmless with either no Zeds or a sprinkling of Clots...or you could be greeted around a corner by a freshly spawned cluster of Fleshpounds that make it impossible to move past, and thus you must accept your fate of being sandwiched between what are now two hordes, which in most cases is GG.

Medic, Berserker, and Survivalist have a higher chance of surviving pincer attacks like this due to their higher runspeeds and durability allowing them to worm their way around Zeds and survive extra hits they would otherwise receive while making their way through crowded chokes, which is why players enjoy picking them so much: their kits allow them to bypass lots of punishment systems that affect other slower, squishier classes as well as being allowed to make far more mistakes before finally giving up the ghost, and being able to regularly get away with kiting is one of those aforementioned bypass methods.

If you tweak the spawn system, you don't even have to worry about making needless objectives or adding in unnecessary new mechanics. Such as it is with a horde game, the pacing lives and dies by the spawning system.

Upvote 0
If you tweak the spawn system, you don't even have to worry about making needless objectives or adding in unnecessary new mechanics. Such as it is with a horde game, the pacing lives and dies by the spawning system.
if the spawning points were "optimized" and opponents spawned randomly. you couldn't save yourself, you couldn't plan a route and you were constantly being hit from behind. This gave the impression that no matter how good you are, you can't win if the system only sends enough opponents onto the field and who wants to play a game that dictates whether you win or lose this round?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The game already kinda plays like that with the spawn systems in place. Both KF1 and KF2 do. That's kind of a thing with horde games in general: the spawns play by some randomization rule.** But randomized enemy spawn types don't necessarily make the game unwinnable by chance, although that can be a contributing factor, though that is more due to badly designed enemy types (QP spam) than the idea itself being bad.

What I'm referring to is reducing KF2's tendency to spawn entire clusters of monsters five feet from where players can currently be, not so much the spawn pool itself. The spawning system in general lies at the heart of the game's meta tendencies. When spawns can cut players off during any sort of kite by random chance via spawning five feet around the corner and bodyblocking players, good players will just play the game by shooting well and not bothering to kite: why run circles and leave your success up to chance when you could just kill everything and basically guarantee success if your aim is competent?
(By the way, this is the exact same frustration players expressed when Scrakes and Fleshpounds could teleport if you broke line of sight with them for too long: there's no point in trying to reposition because the Scrake would be around the next corner ready to Dark Souls your face off.)

From a simplicity perspective, fixing that part of the game at a backend point would be a more ideal solution than the stuff you've proposed in your OP (randomized status effects?, even more dynamic difficulty on top of the preexisting randomization, etc.). I say this because based off what's been in KF2, I don't see those proposed ideas doing anything but making the game more appealing to spam perks and Zerk/Med stacking, i.e. stuff the current KF2 and future installments need a lot less of. They don't mesh with how the game functions at a base level. Allow me to provide some examples:
  • Spawn intensity levels directly dictated by the players' actions
    • KF2's Game Conductor already handles this to a point. The very long story short is that chaos teams and uncoordinated players get punished less by the rubberbanding of the Game Conductor than headshot teams, and headshot teams are already harder to play in the first place. It needs to be reworked for future installments.
  • Random objectives
    • The part about side objectives/quests is what gets my goat here, because given KF2's track record with that, it would only stack the deck further in favor of spam-oriented teams.
    • As an example: let's say the spawn intensity gets harder if you refuse to do the Stand Your Ground objective in a wave:
      • Most of those are suicide except for Zerkwalling teams because they are randomly assigned to spots in the map that, frankly speaking, no team with any sense would try to camp.
      • So you don't do a SYG because it's in a bad spot and nothing besides a dedicated Zerk/Med/Firebug/Demo wall would have a reasonable shot at surviving the spot.
      • Whoops, you didn't do the bad spot SYG and the game penalizes you by bumping the difficulty up a whole other difficulty level on top of missing out on the SYG rewards. Game randomly decided to punish you.
    • The stuff like "seal the vents or the next round gets areas filled with poison gas that hurts you over time" comes across as a variant of this: if you don't do objectives like, say, repairing fuse boxes in the Airship level, you get punished by having zones that will kill the players in the following round(s).
      • If the fuse boxes are in a really bad part of the map, you're faced with a situation: try to repair the boxes and possibly get killed, or get punished the next round by risking your holdout zone now be lethal. If your holdout zone is bad, you have to pick a worse spot (also possibly lethal) or risk kiting on a map that is absolutely not friendly to it (ditto). Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
      • I could see potential in this but it would have to be given lots of deliberate attention so that it's not completely frustrating.
    • Which leads me to my next point of yours:
  • Randomly assigning players debilitating status effects
    • Bad aim? As in inhibiting your ability to do the one thing this game is based around (shoot stuff good)?
      • How would you even implement this in a manner that didn't feel completely frustrating? The one thing you're supposed to do in these games is shoot Zeds. You don't win a round until everything dies.
      • Why punish precision players even more than the game already does by periodically rendering them completely useless? If your team's one Sharpshooter or Commando gets the "uncontrollable recoil and massive spread" debuff, guess what: they are now dead weight. Literally and metaphorically.
      • Why make status effects that can be ignored by certain classes in the first place? Firebug gets punished with increased spread and recoil? Too bad they can just shoot the floor and not care.
    • Crying
      • Why?
      • Why?!
      • Is this supposed to serve a mechanical purpose something? Or just because? Weird.
    • Scrake-inflicted "panic"
      • So a Scrake hits you and disables your ability to do anything other than run away?
      • Again: how would you make this not completely frustrating?
        • Especially from the legendary perspective of "Firebug lights up Scrake, Scrake takes out its frustrations on the local Medic, Medic is now useless and can only run for five seconds"?
I also don't see how these would solve camping (assuming that camping is a problem to solve in the first place; one can of course interpret camping as an expression of skill that forces players to hone their mechanical abilities, as opposed to kiting that tends to ignore that aspect of the game).

Really, the best way to fix a lot of KF2's problems would be to bring things closer to how KF1 handled it: make the spawns manageable but lethal. Rework Fleshpounds so that they are manageable but punish misplays, rather than a random force of nature. Ditto with Scrakes: make them a threat again so that they're lethal if handled poorly, but also maybe not spawning five feet from players.
I don't see the need to bring status effects and CC that gets inflicted on players. This isn't Overwatch and I'd rather not deal with that.

**The only horde game I've played in recent memory (and this is an admittedly very loose interpretation of "horde game") that relies less on randomization for enemy waves is Team Fortress 2's Mann Vs Machine mode, which relies primarily on premeditated spawns and mixes in random counter force waves (Sentry Busters, spies, snipers) based on what the player team is doing to force players to mix up strategies from time to time. This could be a separate mode from the standard Survival wave mode, but given neither mainline Killing Floor entry has worked like this, it would probably have to be limited to a seasonal thing where new wave setups are introduced periodically; make them harder than the standard game but keep them consistent so players can formulate a working strategy.

I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by "adrenaline drugs" are you saying that you can administer these drugs into the syringe.
What I think OP is getting at is an option to replace the health injector syringe with a cure-all that undoes negative status effects and/or gives beneficial statuses if there is nothing negative effecting the player when it is used. But as far as I'm concerned, as I mentioned above, that's bringing in a whole slew of mechanics that KF doesn't really need.

The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is how Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 handled adrenaline: you have a counter of 100 that needs to be filled, either by picking up pills around the map or by by accomplishing objectives (kills, capturing objectives, etc.). When you hit 100 adrenaline, you can input key combinations to burn the meter for different effects that last a limited amount of time:
  • Booster (regen health and shield above normal values, but slowly over time to encourage players to pick their battles wisely)
  • Invisibility (pretty obvious)
  • Berserk (higher RoF on your weapons)
  • Speed (pretty obvious)
But UT works a little differently in movement and other mechanics from KF2, so you couldn't quite do the same thing. It's not the worst idea?

Upvote 0
Spawn intensity levels directly dictated by the players' actions
and
Random objectives
you have to be able to sell it. If I play 4 rounds it would be nice to have at least one round that is different from the others and not all 4 that just stress you out and don't correspond to the KF series.In addition, the positive and negative ones can also be banal and not exactly fatal. If you could still have the choice of which path you could take in this map, the team composition or the map design would be relative.

Randomly assigning players debilitating status effects
You forget that each character has their own abilities that prevent them from being useless. In addition, if adrenaline is involved, certain effects could be hidden and with the right equipment, immunities or preventive measures can be taken for a more in-depth game.
The punishment I mean is, in addition to life and adrenaline, to be interpreted as a bar that shows susceptibility/vulnerability/stress, which only makes certain effects possible when the value is high. Characters could draw attention to stress-based emotional outbursts when the reading is high. Actively executed battlecry, kills, special kills could lower the punishment level, whereas deaths, hits from enemies and effects on one or other team members could lower it.
Scrake-inflicted "panic"
Especially in this case, as already mentioned, I would point out character skills, adrenaline and equipment. With long cooldowns or counters that could not trigger this effect more than once per round with high punishment, a Scrake in rage in a group would also be a serious danger.

We're slowly getting closer to each other :DSo much for the basics and a little more depth in the game but what would be really great and a step forward:The possibility of equipping yourself with one or different exoskeletons one or two rounds before the boss, which could increase one or more stats and defense or be protected with anti-aircraft cannons or rockets or other heavy weapons. Different unlockable variants that you could build together would be really over it xD another upgrade to the end game and depth.Unusual weapons like a boomerang for the berserker would also be nice and would provide a new approach.

Upvote 0