• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So, about tanks...

Kaneohe

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2007
I. What, exactly, does armor slope do? Does it just richochet shells more easily?

II. Is there some way to calculate how effective a tank's armor is? (ex: Is the KV-1S's 75mm/30-degree-sloped front armor better than the T-34/76's 45mm/60-degree armor?)

I. What, exactly, does armor slope do? Does it just richochet shells more easily?

II. Is there some way to calculate how effective a tank's armor is? (ex: Is the KV-1S's 75mm/30-degree-sloped front armor better than the T-34/76's 45mm/60-degree armor?)

I can rember, that someone said, russian armor, even though that it was sloped, wasnt that effective with some tanks, cause of flaws in the material, compared to the german armor.

Upvote 0

The armour slope doesnt just cause a shell to ricochet, the thickness of armour an AP shell traveling horizontally has to go through is greater plus for a given wieght of armour plate more protection can be gained. If you are that interested see if you can get a copy of Design and Development of Fighting Vehicles by R.M. Ogorkiewicz

Upvote 0
As a practical matter, angled armor functions as if it were thicker vertical armor. This means you can put less armor on your vehicle while retaining the same (or virtually the same) level of protection. And THAT means that you can have both fast and well armored vehicles, as opposed to simply slapping on thicker (and heavier) vertical armor, which will make your top speed slower, OR require you to put in a more powerful engine (which can then lead you to guzzle more gas, and so on and so forth).

Upvote 0
Face the wall punch it.

Face your cars windsheild punch it.

It hurts less to punch the windsheild because the energy of the blow is deflected away from the windsheild.

broken_glass.jpg

:eek:

Upvote 0
how did you come to this idea??
This is correct, take a piece of notebook paper, the distance from left to right along the printed lines is 11 inches (or whatever).

Now fold the paper diagonally at 45 degrees from the top corner. (like a paper airplane).

The length of the crease will be greater than the width of the paper.

Now imagine what happens when you tilt a 3 inch plate at a 45 degree angle. The distance the projectile has to travel through the plate is increased substantially since tank shells travel relatively level to the horizon.

I doubt a molten jet of copper will deflect off the angled surface at all. And a kinetic round is moving very fast, so it is probably gonna turn that armor into butter.

Upvote 0
The frontal armor slope on tanks has always been done primarily to increase the effective thickness, and to increase the tendancy for incoming shells to glance off without transferring energy effectively. Engineering reason for providing a slight slope on turret profiles is not so much to increase the effective thickness or encourage a slightly higher percentage of off-angle shots to glance off without transferring much energy. Rather it is to keep the effective target cross-section of the uppermost extent of the tank, which is the part that is unavoidably exposed to enemy fire under defensive conditions, as small as possible, while maximizing the turret bearing diameter for maximum strength and stability, and maximizing the room at the base of the turret for such essentials as the gun breech and loader, recoil clearance and crew bodies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Geez, dont ask a common sense question about tanks, it'll get locked for sure. LOL

But in any case, the angled trajectory will meet with a thicker object than a perpedicular trajectory. Its just physics. Although, I think sometimes that netcode ect ect found in online play in anything makes it all seem like "hitpoints" at times. YMMV

Upvote 0