• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

sniper scope and reload

Stierlitz

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2006
LA
I heard from other threads that with manual bolting action we could CHOOSE when to reload... does that mean we can finally SEE the enemy death in the scope without taking our eye off the scope for reload after shot been placed ?
btw same aplyes to regular iron sighting
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Stierlitz said:
I heard from other threads that with manual bolting action we could CHOOSE when to reload... does that mean we can finally SEE the enemy death in the scope without taking our eye off the scope for reload after shot been placed ? :rolleyes:

Hopefully not. The recoil should put you off the target anyway... :p That's one of the reasons they employ spotters now.

Upvote 0
Stierlitz said:
oh so thats why i never seen anyone in my scope yet %)
btw spotters will give away positions... good snipers worked alone :p

And that's why they invented ghillie suits :p

But true, snipers often worked alone in WW2, but too confirm a kill, they usually had to set the scope on the target again... But I agrre that you should not immediately "unscope" and bolt afetr each shot, to make this easier.

Upvote 0
The "Vasily Zaitsev" of Stalingrad fame was actually a team of about 6 or 8 snipers that always worked in pairs. They would spot for one another, and act as decoys to make German snipers and soldiers expose themselves so that their partner could engage them. Russia needed a big hero at the time, so all the work was rolled into one person.

No big deal, though. The Germans did it too.

Upvote 0
you have to wonder thou how they'll make it look.
some quite complex optics will be going on between your eye and the scope when you fire the rifle.
they havent had to deal with that untill now because of the auto bolt but now with both a semi and manual bolting (cause they couldnt make interruptable bolting work *cry* )

i hope we'll actualy see some of that optical stuff in the game and not just do the standard hollywood thing of moving the scoped view up a bit...

*p.s. check sig for my opinion of snipers in general :p *

Upvote 0
russiansnipersblackwhite19xg.jpg

what you dont see is my bayo sneaking up on them :p

Upvote 0
i think the sniper is perfect the way it is. I hope that they dont give you an option to see the whole screen as the aimer though, because it makes sniping way too easy.

I love the way they did the sniper scope because in other games its like you forget everything around you and all you are aware of is in the scope.

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
Aren't most of these scopes rather low powered? Something like 2x mag. From a supported position, wouldn't the recoil be reduced to the point that you're not off target?

I really don't know, I've never fired a gun, much less a scoped rifle.

The Russian Mosin Nagant PU scope was 4x magnification.

Additionally, typical sniper rounds tend to be quite high powered. The Mosin's 7.62x54R round is a pretty big one. Obviously a trained sniper has a high degree of control over his weapon, but the round still has quite a bit of recoil which could knock him off target. Modern snipers use rounds up to .50 caliber (similar in size to the PTRD's round)

I took my SKS and Mosin out to the range a couple of weekends ago. The SKS felt like a toy after firing the Mosin, and it uses the same assault rifle round as the AK-47.

Upvote 0
WickedPenguin said:
The Russian Mosin Nagant PU scope was 4x magnification.

Additionally, typical sniper rounds tend to be quite high powered. The Mosin's 7.62x54R round is a pretty big one. Obviously a trained sniper has a high degree of control over his weapon, but the round still has quite a bit of recoil which could knock him off target. Modern snipers use rounds up to .50 caliber (similar in size to the PTRD's round)

I took my SKS and Mosin out to the range a couple of weekends ago. The SKS felt like a toy after firing the Mosin, and it uses the same assault rifle round as the AK-47.
I think the Russian was x3.5. I think the German had a variety from x1.5 that was just for riflemen, up to x4 or x6 for the snipers. I think the one modeled in game is supposed to be a x6, at least, I believe that's the case with DoD.

btw .50 cal = 12.7 mm. PTRD = 14.5 mm.

Upvote 0