• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Smoke Grenades?

Guy guys, its good that your making suggestions but I dont think anything that wasent widely used on the Eastern Front will be added to the game, or at least it shouldent no matter how "convienent" or much they would help. And ww2ol is a westernfront game so I'd guess that most things besides the basics might not be taken from that game.

Upvote 0
Smoke grenades would be great. So many times we've been pinned down and all we need is a smokescreen so we can push up to the next cover.

Where did the smoke come from in the screenie?

Jan31st_shot3.jpg

Upvote 0
Smoke was NEVER used by squads in combat in WWII!

Smoke was NEVER used by squads in combat in WWII!

Guys, just for clarification, smoke grenades WERE NEVER used by squads for any tactical maneuvers on any front. This is a common mistake many people make based on the fact that a lot of games (such as COD, BF 42, etc.) allowed smoke grenades for gameplay balance.

The only thing smoke grenades were used for by squads in WWII was for emergancy signaling. However, smoke canisters were attached to many German tanks and were released to screen infrantry movements and provide immediate cover from any anti-tank threat. Also, some mortar guns could fire smoke rounds to cover infrantry assaults.

However, a lot of soldiers were equipped with white phospherous grenades. This looked like white smoke but actually was an incendiary device. When it comes in contact with air it becames an incendiary and when it touches human tissue, it burns it away. It was used on all fronts and most noteably in the jungles of the Pacific war. Again, however, it was ment to route out entrenched enemies and wasn't specifically ment to shield movements or advances.

I think it would be cool if a commander in game could call in smoke screens on a limited basis like you can call in arty. This would be historically accurate and help a lot with team work/gameplay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
CaptRanger said:
Guys, just for clarification, smoke grenades WERE NEVER used by squads for any tactical maneuvers on any front. This is a common mistake many people make based on the fact that a lot of games (such as COD, BF 42, etc.) allowed smoke grenades for gameplay balance.

The only thing smoke grenades were used for by squads in WWII was for emergancy signaling. However, smoke canisters were attached to many German tanks and were released to screen infrantry movements and provide immediate cover from any anti-tank threat. Also, some mortar guns could fire smoke rounds to cover infrantry assaults.

However, a lot of soldiers were equipped with white phospherous grenades. This looked like white smoke but actually was an incendiary device. When it comes in contact with air it becames an incendiary and when it touches human tissue, it burns it away. It was used on all fronts and most noteably in the jungles of the Pacific war. Again, however, it was ment to route out entrenched enemies and wasn't specifically ment to shield movements or advances.

I think it would be cool if a commander in game could call in smoke screens on a limited basis like you can call in arty. This would be historically accurate and help a lot with team work/gameplay.

I second this! Remember this game is trying to be as realistic as possible in the equipment department atleast.
Only artillery and mortars could effectively use smoke, and only when used in great quantities.

Upvote 0
Giving only the Commander one would be ok in my opinion.
It shouldnt be a smoke grenade, more like a signal grenade (its purpose), the smoke should be relativ thin or not that large, but just enough to block some sight shortly.
The uses as a signal would be telling where signal is warning about a coming arty (if you dont need to suprise the enemy --> clearing defended areas e. g. - not random fragging :p ), or maybe telling teammates where enemys are, like signaling an enemy tank, imagine you through a smoke nade onto a tank, that would blew its cover totally.

As there are just a few commanders on each mach, there will be no spamming.

Upvote 0