• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Smoke Artillery Barrage

Smoke Artillery Barrage

• Total voters
Don't you think smoke nade + artillery smoke would be too much ??

Imagine certains maps of ro2 with both of them at the same time...

I do understand the concept but also think there is no place for this in Ro2, because it's already the job of squad leaders which need engagement to be done not simply press a key accross the map and it's good like that.

It (artillery smoke) would surely be a bit much on any of the smaller maps but for any of the large combined arms maps I think it would be appropriate.

Upvote 0
It spawned another idea in my head. How about you can decide for mortars and artillery if you want it loose or tight. A narrow passage between two impassable objects needs tight hit pattern not loose.
Defending Commissars front you might want a loose pattern as the entire front has enemies approaching.
Additionally you might want to decide how many salvos are fired.

Basically the smoke barrage and the hit pattern could be modded in like this: Right click on mortars, select smoke and hit pattern in the pop up menu and click on request.

Actually, most of this was in the original design docs for RO2. But, the more we looked at it, the more we realized that there are few enough people who understand (well) how to use artillery already. Adding in all the extras would just confuse people. Hell, go look up the real way artillery operated - long-winded call procedures, spotting rounds, corrections, blah blah.

Upvote 0
Actually, most of this was in the original design docs for RO2. But, the more we looked at it, the more we realized that there are few enough people who understand (well) how to use artillery already. Adding in all the extras would just confuse people. Hell, go look up the real way artillery operated - long-winded call procedures, spotting rounds, corrections, blah blah.

My advice is to follow your vision. Your game isn't for simpletons, they're already not here. We will figure it out. Just make an easy way with complex options, perhaps even a matter of leveling the Commander class. I know that I love figuring out what works well in what situation, refining my internal game theory of RO2.

I know you have this internal drive anyway, as grognards, but I want to remind you it's out here too.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'd agree, increased complexity is good for the most part. For example: Make it easy to simply call arty as it is now, so anyone can quickly learn to do it, but when selecting a type have an option to right click and then select a pattern and shell type/smoke for those who want to refine it.

Upvote 0