• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Single/co-op campaign.

No, I didn't. To transition between each map with cut scenes is not the same thing as making the entire playing experience one giant cut scene, ala CoD or Medal of Honor.

The playing experience itself would be much more open ended it if it took place on a maps based on larger MP map environments, especially if you were given command of a squad and were allowed to approach objectives from many different angles.

It also sounds like the order of each map will work like the MP campaign, where you can choose, Risk style, where to attack next based on the outcome of a previous battle. I think tying each map together or prefacing each map with a cutscene would give alot more substance to an otherwise very "MP"-feeling experience. I remember how empty BF1942's SP option was -- just a string of MP maps in chronological order which lacked character or a sense of completeness. There was no point in playing offline other than for mindless practice.

"Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing a non cinematic campaign at all -- I'm really tired of all this crap CoD has created."
+
"Then if each mission was tied together with some sort of narration and cut scenes that would be totally ace."
=
contradiction

Upvote 0
"Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing a non cinematic campaign at all -- I'm really tired of all this crap CoD has created."
+
"Then if each mission was tied together with some sort of narration and cut scenes that would be totally ace."
=
contradiction

Not really. Yes, cutscenes and narration are example of cinematics, but just having narration and cutscenes to tie scenarios together is nowhere close to the magnitude of CoD's, "you're playing a movie" style, where basically the entire game is one carefully orchestrated interactive cutscene.

Upvote 0
what i think they will probably do at most is add cut scenes at the beginning and end of the level. but what they should do is look at games like half life and how they do cinematic they really don't you never lose control if your to far from conversation it won't happen. that's what i think. they should do. this should be how they do story narration in the campaign it self. (just on single player though.) :D

if they add the propper varibles conversations could happen in any order like per objectives. so game changing elements would happen while your in full control and one person may be experiencing a tank. while another is complaining about the hoards of infantry. this way no matter where you are on the map there is some kind of story this method wouldn't provide a cod drama story but interesting things happening that soldiers make comments about or have random conversations about life back home while at a resupply point. but this is alot of work and frankly almost pointless. but would be cool.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I fear SP campaign will be just MP maps with bots, yet I still hope they actually try to make a solid cinematic campaign with cutscenes and stuff, because they really have the potential, although what I really care about is the multiplayer part. But seeing the movie Stalingrad turning into a game would be like a dream coming true to me since it's my favourite film in all genres, and a game is so much better to tell a story because it doesn't have a lenght restriction like movies, so you have as many hours you want to tell your story.

I'm not intrested in cutscenes especially... but if co-op and SP are just MP with bots....
Then this will be a game with very limited appeal.

I'm looking for a squad based tactical challenge or some sort of semi historical, non-linear mission rather than a botmatch.
No respawns, no flags. None of that nonsense. A tactical shooter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not really. Yes, cutscenes and narration are example of cinematics, but just having narration and cutscenes to tie scenarios together is nowhere close to the magnitude of CoD's, "you're playing a movie" style, where basically the entire game is one carefully orchestrated interactive cutscene.
Exactly. Just because a game has some form of cutscene doesn't automatically make it linear like Call of Duty. I'm talking about the GAMEPLAY ITSELF being open with lots of paths to objectives. Kind of like a mini-sandbox that you find in large multiplayer maps. That is no where close to what Call of Duty does, funneling you through narrow paths, essentially making the entire gameplay portion feel like one big interactive cutscene.

Upvote 0
Potted histories of the actual battle the game is attempting to represent always go down well.

A cut scene with the mission briefing... a battle map and some explanation of objectives and likely enemy forces is always welcome.

The story of Leningrad seen theough the eyes of Jack The War Hero however... is not.

And any cutscenes should be entirely skipable, straight to the action.... with one single click.

Anything that can be done in a cut scene can always be done better in a pre-launch briefing screen or after action review.
I'm not looking for an interactive movie, I am looking for a game.

When I want a movie, I'll buy one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried playing Bulletstorm last week.

The trailers looked utterly awesome.

A Massive actionfest!!!

Blasting and cyberwhipping and kicking my way through bad guy after bad guy in a chain reaction of hysterically humongous brutality.

And then I tried it. And after every 2nd kill it went into a couple of seconds of cut scene.

Coitus interuptus.

Game uninstalled. A present for a friend.

Upvote 0
I quite like the linear nature of CoD games in single player they are a blast. *dodges stones*

Do I want RO2 to be like this though? Definitely not.

I really enjoyed Armed Assault's Operation Arrowhead expansion, it actually got me playing the game properly, before that I just got bored. It ticked all the boxes for me, great scenarios with a realistic mission brief, challenging AI and combined arms combat.

We don't need loads of cut scenes, a realistic and immersive feel with a lot of interesting battles to experience is all we need. Epic music will help!

Upvote 0
I think in between maps of single player there should be black and white original footage reels with commentary explaining the history of the battle in that area. Would be awsome!

That would be suitable, because period black & white footage immediately gives you a sense of authenticity. And then the footage slowly fades to black and then fade into a small first person cinematic showing the player and his fellow soldiers being driven to the frontline in a truck. Something like that would suit RO.

Upvote 0
That would be suitable, because period black & white footage immediately gives you a sense of authenticity. And then the footage slowly fades to black and then fade into a small first person cinematic showing the player and his fellow soldiers being driven to the frontline in a truck. Something like that would suit RO.

I would be happy with something like that.

Reactions: Switchblade
Upvote 0
Maybe perhaps a historical campaign and a more sandbox campaign.

Historical, you actually go through some type of mission but still being the original idea, like say you are apart of a German Regiment moving along, and your right flank is destroyed, you are apart of the regiment that gets sent to reinforce, not sure if they happened but you got the idea I hope.

Sandbox, you are put in like historically but you get more options that takeaway the historical content, like we got stukas coming across the river! Taking away our reserves, you have the option, take 'em out risking your current position overrun, or you stay put and your reserves start taking punishment.

Either way, it should be fun to play. I am interested in how TWI will bring it out though. Good luck guys (and gals)!

EDITED: Oh! And perhaps add some kind of leveling or something element to increase re-playability... those CoD, MoH, and other games suck something foul when it comes to replaying the campaign I can't stand it, I like it when I want to do it over again.

EDITED #2: I'ma post this in the ideas section. =D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe perhaps a historical campaign and a more sandbox campaign.

Historical, you actually go through some type of mission but still being the original idea, like say you are apart of a German Regiment moving along, and your right flank is destroyed, you are apart of the regiment that gets sent to reinforce, not sure if they happened but you got the idea I hope.

Sandbox, you are put in like historically but you get more options that takeaway the historical content, like we got stukas coming across the river! Taking away our reserves, you have the option, take 'em out risking your current position overrun, or you stay put and your reserves start taking punishment.

Either way, it should be fun to play. I am interested in how TWI will bring it out though. Good luck guys (and gals)!

EDITED: Oh! And perhaps add some kind of leveling or something element to increase re-playability... those CoD, MoH, and other games suck something foul when it comes to replaying the campaign I can't stand it, I like it when I want to do it over again.

EDITED #2: I'ma post this in the ideas section. =D

No leveling please, your idea of a sandbox campaign already extends the longetivity of the campaign;)

Upvote 0
Ghost Recon and Hidden and Dangerous 2 both had leveling.

It worked great in both those single player campaigns.

It gives you incentive to keep your troops alive and allows you to tailor your team towards your own tactical style.

HAven't played H&D2 and only played ghost recon Advanced W. 2
so dunno exactly what those systems add:p

Upvote 0
Very minor upgrades.

A choice between stealth, accuracy, strength etc.

In the games these translated into slightly tighter aiming reticles/bullet spread.
Slightly more hit points..
Slightly increased weight allowance for your weapons loadouts.

Also completeing certain missions would unlock new team members to choose from. A commando raid in Norway for example might add some Norwegian recruits to your roster thereafter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0