• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Show us some bolt-action! =)

Simply put, Tripwire have already said SMG's wont have the silly unrealistic recoil that we had to put up with in RO1, which is a big bonus torwards realism in itself. Let's not kid ourselves though, if SMG's are implemented realistically they will be drastically more powerful than bolt action rifles in the majority of situations you'd find yourself in, in Stalingrad. I personally don't think that's a bad thing.

After all, the number of troops armed with SMG's increased on both sides steadily as the war progressed. As powerful as a bolt action can be in good hands, the main reason they were still issued in vast numbers is simply as a legacy of the older wars. Why waste millions of working rifles that were still left over from the first world war (and others).

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
knighted, the weapons will be modeled after their real life counterpart. meaning rate of fire will not be slowed down and damage won't be purposely minimized simply to "balance the weapon".

if this isn't what you want, there are other games more up to your speed: call of duty, battlefield, team fortress, etc.

bye.

Last time I checked humans didn't have 100 Hp, and last time I checked a 7.62x54 didn't have a damage value of 80. The balance of the weapons is incredibly important to every game. Arguing the difference between someone dying from 3 bullets vs 2 bullets, just makes you look like a clown.

Upvote 0
Last time I checked humans didn't have 100 Hp, and last time I checked a 7.62x54 didn't have a damage value of 80.

What does that have to do with Red Orchestra? That's not the damage system the game got. Depending on where you hit, what inpact energy and what caliber you do damage to the specific body part that you hit. If you shoot someone 100 times in the same spot in his hand, then he still won't die as you're not dealing any additional damage to the physical situation of the character.

Sure as it is a system you use numbers so in the end you will have something like a total health of a person, and individual health for every body part. And out of the bullet entering the body a certain damage amount is calculated.

Beside that a 7.62x54 pretty much instantly kills someone in the game of Red Orchestra, unless hitting a hand or a foot. And at close range even a smg will likely kill in one shot.

I just say play Red Orchestra, I'll happily take a bolt action rifle while you take a smg.

Upvote 0
@Knighted

I think you need to be more specific in what you mean by 'balanced' - I have a suspicsion that you and other are having an artificial created argument based on wrong assumptions.

And no this forum is not the most elitist ww2 gaming forum - try the Darkest Hour forum for that they are pretty l33tist there.;)

Upvote 0
Last time I checked humans didn't have 100 Hp, and last time I checked a 7.62x54 didn't have a damage value of 80. The balance of the weapons is incredibly important to every game. Arguing the difference between someone dying from 3 bullets vs 2 bullets, just makes you look like a clown.

Please, this is the oldest argument on the internet when it comes to realism games, i've heard it a million times now in a million different ways, and basicaly, it allways boils down to "games aren't really real, so you shoulden't even try to make them realistic".

It was BS the first time i heard it some time in 1998, when it was used as an argument for why Serpentine shoulden't use ironsights, because ironsights would never work or be fun in a game, and would never catch on (lulz!), and time has not sweetened the argument, only proven it increasingly wrong.

Sure there are limitations to this tech, an FPS game can't make you feel the weight of the weapon in your hand, because you are just pushing a mouse around, and it can't make you feel warm or cold, because PC's aren't aircon units, it can't make you feel wet if you go for a swim in the game, or let you feel the texture of a wall against your fingertips, it's an audio/visual experiance only, and one that is based on smoke and mirrors, it's all driven by code, not real phyical objects or forces.

But that hasen't stopped games from doing amazing things, and by no means should we stop trying to innovate and push the envelope of what the medium can do.

As for thease forums being somehow super "elitist", they aren't really, just filled with RO fans who like the game for what it is, and thus, when you come here and tell us that we're all wrong and stupid, because you know better, and that the game must be changed to fit your opinions because they are obviously the correct ones... yeah, it is quite natural that we will take offense to that, and tell you to STFU or GTFO.

And that is true of any forum, if i went to to the IL2 forums and started making threads about how it's upcomming sequal should remove stalling from the flightmodel, because games aren't really real, and it's not fun to stall, and removes skill from the game.. i would get flamed to a crisp!

If i went to the forums for Quake-Live, and started demanding that the game should have ironsight aiming and reloads, because the game just can't become as popular as CoD without it, i would get flamed to a bloody crisp!

And if i went to the PC section of the Battlefield forums, and started posting about how Dedicated servers should not be in BF3, because it's not as fun as matchmaking and a waste of the developers time, what would happen?

.. to a crisp!

Upvote 0

I heard checkers is a nice balanced game.

Reactions: -[SiN]-bswearer
Upvote 0
That's just it though Grobut, RO2 can't be RO. RO2 needs to be better. In order for that to happen, they need to remove the ridiculous crap, luckily they are from what I've talked to them about.

Your examples are ridiculous btw. I'm not here saying Tripwire should give you powerups and rocket jumping. I'm talking about a very basic and necessary function of any game. Balance. I'm talking about rate of fire, accuracy and effective range. I've been a shooter my whole life. No one in their right mind is going to rage because an mp40 is only shooting at 450 rounds a min. But if it's what makes the gun feel right in respect to the other weapons. It needs to happen.

Upvote 0
Last time I checked humans didn't have 100 Hp, and last time I checked a 7.62x54 didn't have a damage value of 80.

Last time I checked humans are incapable of understanding everything they want much to their demise, so quite frankly there is no point in any scientific research. Any advancment done is only relatively brief fart in the big scheme of things and ultimately pointless. So why humans do it then?

But then again thought terminating clich

Upvote 0
That's just it though Grobut, RO2 can't be RO. RO2 needs to be better. In order for that to happen, they need to remove the ridiculous crap, luckily they are from what I've talked to them about.

Your examples are ridiculous btw. I'm not here saying Tripwire should give you powerups and rocket jumping. I'm talking about a very basic and necessary function of any game. Balance. I'm talking about rate of fire, accuracy and effective range. I've been a shooter my whole life. No one in their right mind is going to rage because an mp40 is only shooting at 450 rounds a min. But if it's what makes the gun feel right in respect to the other weapons. It needs to happen.

:troll:

I'm really starting to think that you are just trolling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I've just read through this whole thread and I can't help but laugh. I really don't think you realise what TWI are trying to do and I don't think you realise what the RO community is about.

People aren't going to start complaining because a certain weapon is more capable than a similar weapon on the opposing team. This is the weaponry that soldiers were equipped with in WWII and that is what they had to deal with. So no, it isn't "ridiculous crap", it's simply the way things are and that's what everyone will have to accept, like it or not (including yourself).

Oh and by the way, no one has used such a ridiculous example like powerups and rocket jumping as you have done. Maybe you should try understanding this thread and what the actual subject matter is about, which has strayed so far from, it's almost unbelievable. It was supposed to be about bolt action footage!

Upvote 0

WTF2.gif

Reactions: -[SiN]-bswearer
Upvote 0

Your credibility is virtually destroyed by the simple fact that you're claiming to be a lifelong shooter and in the same breath saying weapons in RO2 should be "balanced" ie. made unrealistic.

Upvote 0
TWI needs to keep the weapons as close to in RL they were/are when they tested it separatelly 1 by 1 for RO2.

True,some weapons might have an advantage over the others,but that how it used to be back then when real soldiers were batteling,this only means that you will have to get accustomed to all weapons and use their advantages in the field.

Look whats happening on EA forums,every single one is complaining,buff this weapon,nerd that weapon,oh this rpg is way overpowered...So there is a tons of opinions cause they want to make the game for the cauals,you know run and gun and die as less as possible....

While RO2 will have true ballistic damage,and will make you work for your kills but in the same time use your head and implement tactics in order not to be the victim all the times.

Thats why I will love RO2,it will make you work and actually try to do something more than just run and hipshoot every body with the crosshairs like in other FPS/Consolised games.

Reactions: Brozex
Upvote 0
True,some weapons might have an advantage over the others

That's the thing, no weapon in RO has an inherent advantage over the others, only situational advantages.

No matter what the weapon, there will be situations where it is the ideal tool for the job, and situations where it will be outmatched, creating a true need for the classes, and for tactical play, this is where RO draws it's balance from.

What Knighted seems to stubbournly refuse to understand, is that RO is a class based team game, it's more like TF2 than it is Quake, classes matter here, they have a purpose, they have streangths and weaknesses, and skill must be applied to use them to their advantage, and try to avoid beeing caught at the disadvantages.

The winning team is usually the one that understands this, and makes good use of their avalible classes.

Upvote 0
What is with this sudden influx of people seeking to completely revamp RO2 into a COD clone?

Weapon "balance?" I remember you people, AKA those who make playing MOHAA impossible now with the 60-round STG44 mags and 10-round semi-auto K98ks modded into every populated server. Weapon balance is the last refuge of those who refuse to adapt after they get killed by a "cheap" weapon and start whining about their "K/D" and how their loss is obviously due to the evil developers not balancing "cheap" weapons.

These same people then migrate to more realistic games and mess that gameplay up too. I remember getting kicked from Americas' Army servers for using the M249 SAW in a realistic fashion (suppressing fire) because CS kiddies got upset that they got killed by "spam whores" when they didn't take cover.

I hope that servers won't be infested with mutators that add crosshairs and "+1" indicators like Insurgency is with CS-style mutators.

Last edited:
Upvote 0