• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Server URL redirect

THE REDIRECT DOES NOT WORK!

Dont tell me I dont have it setup correctly on my end. I damn well do! The setup I use worked perfectly on my RO servers, and it does not work on KF. I have gone through it line by line, and checked and re-checked my server and redirect files. Everything is 100% setup to work IF the redirect worked! But it does not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well it works here so we need to determine what's wrong with your install / config?

1. First off when you say it doesn't work, why do you say this?
2. Are you getting an error message?
3. Are you just getting slow downloads?
4. Are you seeing client requests in your webserver access log?
5. Are you using compressed or uncompressed content?
6. Are you seeing any errors in the game server or client log files?
7. Are you seeing any errors in in the webserver error log?
8. Are you running windows or linux?

All of the above might help, stating it doesnt work when others have it working just fine does not.

Upvote 0
it does work on my server...

And i use compression and people here run it without compression as well.
Beside that the redirect code if anything probably hasnt even changed from ut2004 both for ro and killingfloor. Dont say the feature doesnt work rather make a post stating info what exactly doesnt work and what exactly your problem is and simply asking people to help you setup yours.

Upvote 0
That's not true it works just fine, you must have set something up wrong I'm afraid.

If you don't want to have to set it up all your self, you could always snag a server off us where its all setup and working for you and just a few clicks away : Multiplay - Killing Floor Servers :D

Ouch. No shameless self plugs. :p Our sigs are enough. It's more impersonal that way. That's like Coke product placement.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I guess the problem most people have is that they're used to
use the HLDS/SRCDS HTTP Downloading where you point your
"sv_downloadurl" to the folder on your webspace that is identical
to the game's root folder.

So if you're trying to get FastDLs to work with KF be sure to check
your folders on your webspace, if the maps are in a "maps" subfolder
you have to point to it in the URL while finishing with a slash!

Upvote 0
I got a question about redirecting. I put all my compressed maps in my webspace just as it is without any folders etc. what if a map has its map folder+ a texture folder along with it. Do I put the map file in separate then put the texture folder in the same place or make a map folder, put all the map files in then put the texture folder?

Upvote 0
Yeah just to back you up because a lot do not understand about how Unreal works its not like Half Life games where you mimic the http downloads to look exactly like the same directorys!

With All Current Unreal games whether you compress or not all files go in the same Directory!

This goes for Unreal, Unreal 2004 and Unreal Tournament 3 games!
When you use the fast HTTP Downloads you put all the remote download files in the same folder!

You can use the built in compression or use a compression utility as well... There are many ways availible!

Upvote 0
Don't forget about MIME Types! :p

Don't forget about MIME Types! :p

I had a fairly rough time getting my fast downloads working on my KF server as well. I definitely recommend using the compression method to compress the map files into a .rom.uz2 format that is MUCH smaller than the normal .rom file. There are atleast 3 or 4 guides I have seen on these forums alone about how to compress the .rom files into .rom.uz2 map files so I'm not going to reiterate that process now. This will help you save tons of bandwidth from your website. Unless of course your web hosting provider doesn't care how much bandwidth you consume. :p

But CozmicShredder pointed out something very important in another thread regarding this redirect topic. MIME Types! Basically most web servers do not recognize .rom or .rom.uz2 file types by default. So the web server has no idea what to do with the map files once you have uploaded them to the web server. In order to make the web server recognize and handle the map files properly you will most likely need to add a MIME type to your domain on the web server. I have never worked with Linux server or Apache so I'm no help there but with Windows servers, you can easily add a MIME type to your domain using IIS.

A quick way to test if you need to setup MIME types for your map downloads to work is to simply browse to one of the map files you have uploaded to you website such as (example: http://www.yourdomain.com/kfmaps/kf-prison.rom.uz2). If your web browser pops up a download file window and asks you to save it to your disk and allows you to download it then you should be all set and your server should be able to fast download these maps to people as needed (Provided you have setup the server's .ini config file properly of course).

If you receive a page or resource can't be found error when trying to directly browse to one of your map files on your web server. Then your website is not recognizing the map files and you will need to create a MIME Type. Below is what the MIME Types would be like in Windows IIS. I also copied and pasted CozmicShredder's notes from another thread for Apache as I know nothing about Apache as previously stated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows MIME Types - Create 2 seperate MIME Types

MIME Type #1
Content Type: application/ut2004-uz2-rom
Extension: .uz2

MIME Type #2
Content Type: application/ut2004-uz2-rom
Extension: .rom
Apache MIME Type As Described by CozmicShredder In Another Thread:

For apache on a dedicated machine I use this

Like for instance I am using Xampp on my dedicated box
C:\xampp\apache\conf\mime.types
Just add a line
application/ut2004-uz2-rom uz2 .uz2 rom .rom

Then restart apache

After adding those MIME Types to your website you should then be able to browse directly in your web browser to one of the map files on your website (example: http://www.yourdomain.com/kfmaps/kf-prison.rom.uz2) and the web browser should open a download prompt asking you to download the map file. That is how you know it is working properly. Then make you sure your KF Game Server's .ini file is all setup and you should be all set to go.

That MIME Type part gave me a headache last night and that is the best way I can describe how to determine if that is your problem and if so, how to fix it. If you want to see the custom map redirect working with compression and very fast downloads in all it's glory, check my server below while it's on a custom map. Hope this information helps! If enough people want, I can open up this information as a new thread to be stickied or feel free to copy and paste it to any other guides. Good Luck! :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know if you've sorted this out or not, however, we set up redirect by using NGINX
A simple server block liike this will do:

Code:
server {
    listen 80;
    server_name subdomain.yoursite.com; # or you can just use your IP
    autoindex on; # this is VITAL — ensures that things are accessible without index.html, apache or other server software might have an equivalent that you're missing
    location / {
        root /path/to/redirect
    }
}

Upvote 0
I don't know if you've sorted this out or not, however, we set up redirect by using NGINX
A simple server block liike this will do:

Code:
server {
    listen 80;
    server_name subdomain.yoursite.com; # or you can just use your IP
    autoindex on; # this is VITAL — ensures that things are accessible without index.html, apache or other server software might have an equivalent that you're missing
    location / {
        root /path/to/redirect
    }
}
I reneg, this in fact, did not work.

Upvote 0