• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server skill limiting

in many ladder competitions (not roladder though, really wish they would btw).

Lulz . . . from a dude thats never played a single match at the ladder and never taken time to read the rules, that statement is very incorrect.

ROL runs a system that if you challange a team very much below you in the rankings you will lose points even for a flawless victory. Anyteam also has a wildcard.

You are also stating getting owned in a ladder is a bad thing. It indeed is not. As I said several posts above, if you play weak teams you stay weak, only by playing teams that are much higher in skill do you learn how to play RO properly. For example on Monday I played the German national team . . good players but I would never say no to playing because they are skilled. I learned some things on Koitos I never knew (Good position on square) and if I learn 1 thing from playing good teams I am happy.

SO back to topic, yes new dude vs new dude would be nice in a pink and fluffy I dont want to learn, only want to draw, only want to have a KD ratio of 1/1 everyones a winner type server or league :rolleyes: but with HOS having a single player mode . . it gives new people a chance to learn certain game dynamics and of course how to hip a semi auto across a map :D

I also agree with Rak. The implementation of picking who is weak . . . impossible. You make points using "vets" . . do you consider yourself a "vet"?? What about your skill? what bracket would you want the computer placing you?? The game is too complex to simple have a K/D or K/Hrs ratio to decide skill.

Upvote 0
#1 reason why the turnover rate for RO sucks and there aren't as many players as there could be. elitism and bullies wanting to pick on the new inexperienced players because they are having fun. do you also enjoy beating up on blind people in wheelchairs? :p

everybody is new to the game at some point. throwing somebody new without any skill straight into the fire against top players will only yield frustration and dislike towards the game and will turn people away. like many already said the trick is how to determine "skill" and "experience". once you do that problem is solved.

in many ladder competitions (not roladder though, really wish they would btw), you cannot challenge a team that is ex. amount ranks below you. that stops the big boys from beating up on far weaker teams. i look at this point about server play the same way. the extreme top players should not be allowed to beat up on the extreme low players, which of course new players are not going to have any skill when they first start. don't let top "ranked" people play against players so ex. % or rank whatever, below they are. new players will always be playing against "better" competition, just don't pit them against the "best" competition at the start.

it's not really so much the worry that new players will hurt themselves playing against top players....if they want to get destroyed right away, then that's their choice! :D it's the top players being bullies and beating up on the new players for "fun" that worries me.
ever hear of an underdog? besides tha tdo u honestly beilive twi will implement this idea in their game?

Upvote 0
forgot, @craig read my posts again......you're putting words in my mouth that were never there. thanks for the trolling and flamebaiting as it is much appreciated

@ the roladder crew........some of you are not very good at comprehending posts. i know the rules of roladder. i made a slight reference that roladder did not use the system i was referencing that is used in other places. why the need to attack me and freek out about it? i did not attack roladder nor did i attack any of you, so why are you all coming in trying to defend something that didn't get attacked? i never said or implied that roladder was unfair towards weak or new teams. i simply hinted that i wished roladder implimented a feature of a system that other places used in regards to not allowing teams to challenge down ex. amount of ranks. i know how the challenge system works in regards to matches/rounds worth ex. amount of points and i know about the declination rules. of course i agree that the system is relatively protective of new/weak teams, but i feel that giving a low team the option to decline a challenge from a team too far above them is not the best idea and that you should instead not even allow top teams to challenge too far down in the first place. you can disagree with me about that, as that is your opinion and people are open to having their opinions.

i could go on about this and that about the roladder system, but i will save that for another time and another topic because along with your posts, it has no relevance to my point and the overall point of this thread because that competition system is designed for teams working off a defined points and challenge system whereas this thread has to do with unorganized, variously skilled players playing on public servers.

if you are trying to compare the roladder system to something that would be used in public servers, then you're trying to compare apples and oranges. should all new/weak pub players be sent a message saying "you are currently ranked #4829 and you've been challenged by players #584, #328, and #92 in this public server. You have the option to decline this challenge and go to a different server since they are ex amount of ranks above you." obviously you can't compare the two which is why I did not use the roladder system as a comparison to what i was suggesting and instead used a completely different one that is more relevant to the purpose of this topic.

so now that all of that is out of the way if you all wish to continue reading about the real nature of this topic and my post please continue......

do i consider myself a "great" player? well relevant to what? based on all players in this game that i've played with/against, i'd consider myself an above average player yes, but in comparision to some no, of course i'm not at their level. also, i've not played against every single player in this game so how can i compare myself to them? in RO there is no standard to base a person's "skill" off of, so how can one determine where they stand when they go to pub? at least with the progression system for ROHOS being described by TW so far, it looks as if something like that will be put in place so players can determine what skill level they are at....note: i'm not saying players will have an exact numbered rank (#2185, #621, #869 etc...) in a "ranking" system because that would be way too difficult to determine as opposed to having more broad skill ranges which would be much more feasible to impliment.

if you have a standard system for "ranking" players, then as a serverside admin feature, you could force the option to not allow players of a specified "rank", whether it be deemed to high or too low by the server admin, to even join the server. that way you can have servers where players will be roughly near the same level and you won't get an unbalanced mix of the two extremes of the ranking scale.

players will then have options to play as they wish. if they want to play against substantially better competition then they can. if they want to play against substancially worse competition because it is "fun" then they can. and lastly, if players want to play opponents that are at the worst roughly equal to their ability levels, then they can. at least in doing this players/server admins have options as opposed to the way RO is right now where you will see huge mixes of ability levels because for one, there is no ranking system and if there was, there would be no option to have "Skill Limit Servers" anyway......which, that is what this thread is discussing isn't it? :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Instead of limiting which servers people can join, why not just use the stats to show the average skill level of a server?

Servers could appear in different colors depending on skill level

Green = low skill
yellow = medium skill
red = high skill

That way players can decide for themselves who they want to play against.

Imo, this is a good way to filter servers.

The idea of limiting servers based on skill is pretty elitist. Aw, cmon guys... just warn the player if he is entering a server with an average skill level way beyond his.

I don

Upvote 0