• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Server Crashing After Several Days - Logs Gigantic

bidam89

May 14, 2018
I'll start the server, it will run for days, then crash seemingly at random, and the logs are spammed with these messages here:

Code:
[34748.39] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'DeployedTurrets'
        KFPlayerController KF-ELYSIUM.TheWorld:persistentLevel.KFPlayerController_26
        Function KFGame.KFPlayerController:Destroyed:004A
Code:
[53525.55] ScriptWarning: Accessed None 'DeployedTurrets'
        KFPlayerController KF-CONTAINMENTSTATION.TheWorld:persistentLevel.KFPlayerController_65
        Function KFGame.KFPlayerController:Destroyed:004A

When I say spammed, understand that normal log sizes on my server are about 20K in size.... these logs are anywhere between 96MB and 106MB in size, filled with these messages.

Any help is appreciated.

Code:
[18158.87] Critical: appError called: Runaway loop detected (over 1000000 iterations)
        KFPlayerController KF-BURNINGPARIS.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.KFPlayerController_5
        Function KFGame.KFPlayerController:Destroyed:0059
        Script call stack:
        Function KFGame.KFPlayerController:Destroyed

Roger on the awareness of the issue, finally got this at the end of the logs on this last crash. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Upvote 0
I assume most of you running this in linux use screen with it as well. I've cobbled this together to watch for specific named screen sessions then run a program if it isn't found. Throw it in a crontab that runs every minute and it will restart the crashed server. Hope this gets fixed soon.:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Validate number of arguments
if [ $# -ne 2 ] ; then
  echo "ERROR: Invalid number of arguments - Usage: screen_session_name program_to_start "
  exit 1
fi

# Check for program
if ! screen -list | grep -q "$1"; then
  #Start program
  echo "Screen session not found, starting program in 10 seconds, press CTRL+c to abort..."
  sleep 10
  "$2"
fi

Upvote 0
Another approach is to just set it up as a service with the systemd and let it do its job restarting it if it fails. E.g.

Code:
[Unit]
Description=Vanilla clone KF2 Server
After=syslog.target network.target
Wants=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=kf2-admin
Group=kf2-admin
# make sure KF2 uses the Steam provided library, not the ones it bundles
ExecStart=/home/kf2-admin/kf2-server/Binaries/Win64/KFGameSteamServer.bin.x86_64 kf-construct -log=ServerVanillaThird.log -ConfigSubDir=hoe-plus-third
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=5
KillMode=process
CPUAccounting = yes
MemoryAccounting = yes

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Reactions: bidam89
Upvote 0