• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SCAR and M14 idea

But by FAR, it's less god-awful than the M14s. I dunno. Honestly, I'd be fine just getting the SCAR-Style scope on the M14 without touching the SCAR itself.

Just putting some scope on the M14 would be fine i guess. That would give the M14 what it needs.
However, keeping the SCAR as it is and giving the M14 a scope would make the weapons maybe a bit too similar? And thus the proposed pierce/increase weight/remove scope/take M14's laser-thingy for the SCAR, to make sure to seperate the styles of the 2 weapons. While this is not necessary to do for the SCAR, i still think it would be worth it. But that's just my opinion i guess :)

Upvote 0
Don't change the SCAR, and for the love of god don't give another weapon such a useless thing as a laserdot thingy. The M14 needs a magnifying optic (just a low powered one like an ACOG), not a CQB sight like on the SCAR, so that'll be different enough. Compared with the Mk17, the M14 should have:

Slightly more power
Much more recoil
Slower rate of fire

Upvote 0
I tried using the sights on the M14 yesterday and i must say, i can't sharpshoot for tihs with them. The laser sight doesn't really help that much; in fact i think 2 LARs would be better than the LAR/M14 combo.
(text snipped)

I tried M14/LAR the other day on HoE just to see if it was useful at all. I found (in the first few waves) LAR was perfect for headshotting Husks and Sirens, stunlocking Scrakes, and killing the odd Crawler at my feet. However the M14 was inferior with the inability to 1-hit Crawlers on a non-headshot, reliably 1-headshot Husks and Sirens or stun Scrakes. It also has a terrible ironsight, an unreliable and dim laser (which likes to disappear upon touching Stalkers instead of going through them), and only a marginally faster firerate than LAR. I found myself using the M14 for small specimens, while taking out the LAR for anything Husk upwards. I took out the M14 for Fleshpounds but really, the XBow does just as much damage at just about any range. I didn't try the LAR on FPs but I'm sure it does just as much if not more damage than the M14.

So if M14 gets a decent sight and can be useful longer than Commando range, maybe I'll use it. Otherwise I'll take 2 LARs.

/wallotext

TL;DR: Agree with improving M14 ironsight. Ambiguous about SCAR sights (doesn't need a laser) but it might balance out adding penetration (which I've wanted for awhile now).

Reactions: Nanostrike
Upvote 0
I tried M14/LAR the other day on HoE just to see if it was useful at all. I found (in the first few waves) LAR was perfect for headshotting Husks and Sirens, stunlocking Scrakes, and killing the odd Crawler at my feet. However the M14 was inferior with the inability to 1-hit Crawlers on a non-headshot, reliably 1-headshot Husks and Sirens or stun Scrakes. It also has a terrible ironsight, an unreliable and dim laser (which likes to disappear upon touching Stalkers instead of going through them), and only a marginally faster firerate than LAR. I found myself using the M14 for small specimens, while taking out the LAR for anything Husk upwards. I took out the M14 for Fleshpounds but really, the XBow does just as much damage at just about any range. I didn't try the LAR on FPs but I'm sure it does just as much if not more damage than the M14.

So if M14 gets a decent sight and can be useful longer than Commando range, maybe I'll use it. Otherwise I'll take 2 LARs.

I wish more people would do what you did and ACTUALLY TRY the M-14 instead of just saying "It was overpowered, now it's fine" and ignoring the situation.

It's a genuinely crap weapon and everything you said about it here is true. The inability to 1-shot Crawlers is the ridiculous straw that broke the camel's back for me. Even the freaking Handcannon can 1-shot 'em with a bodyshot. Useless gun is useless.

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
The M-14 is fine where it is the long range of it is just quite amazeing. Unlike most sharpie wepons none can really be perferable in close range though. that where laser sight comes in handly where your roaming to a area to hold out in or just roaming for that matter. Yeah they may nerfed the dmg but the Rate of fire tottally makes up for it =)

Upvote 0
The M-14 is fine where it is the long range of it is just quite amazeing. Unlike most sharpie wepons none can really be perferable in close range though. that where laser sight comes in handly where your roaming to a area to hold out in or just roaming for that matter. Yeah they may nerfed the dmg but the Rate of fire tottally makes up for it =)

It's basically a point-blank version of the Lever Action. And it can't kill a Crawler in 1 hit without a headshot.

It's just a terrible, terrible weapon right now.

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0