• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Satchel or any weapon spawning?

Satchel pickup

Satchel pickup

Dingbat's sample map is pretty cool for the satchel pick-up. It shows how to do triggers so you can turn it on or off by a "use" trigger, a wait script for respawn time, and a limit. The only thing is that the satchel spins around like a weapon spawn in the UT2004 game. If you can live with that I will post map on file server and share link. I'm at work and can't do it now. The real secret is picking the right actor. There is a satchelweapon, satchelammo, satchelthrow (or something like it, it spawns a satchel that blows up), and the satchelpickup which is the one you need. They only come in 2s so you can't just get one. The map has no .u files and so you can incorporate it into a map without any extra files.

RD

PS: Worluk, I will check out yours. You posted that you can incorporate it into map in "myLevel"? I will try it but I am a noob with the coding in UTE. Could you please give real simple instructions on how to do that? Oh I can't check it out right now but does the satchel spin around on the map or sit there like the panzerfaust?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
PS: Worluk, I will check out yours. You posted that you can incorporate it into map in "myLevel"? I will try it but I am a noob with the coding in UTE. Could you please give real simple instructions on how to do that? Oh I can't check it out right now but does the satchel spin around on the map or sit there like the panzerfaust?

its more or less a straight copy of the faustpickup, so it should be static.

as for importing it to myLevel:

make sure SatchelPickup doesnt show up in your EditPackages (redorchestra.ini)
Also make sure you havent placed the actor in your map already, if you did, delete it, save your map, restart the editor.

Then do the following: View->Log
Type obj load file=SatchelPickup.u package=MyLevel
(You have to have the SatchelPickup.u in your system folder)
Add the actor, rebuild, save.

(more or less from http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Embedding_Code)

Hope it works, have fun :)

Let me add, also from the wiki:
Don't embed code without permission. (That's clear, but unfortunately not to everyone.) Be sure that the code's author is content with having his/her code embedded in maps. Besides, embedding code makes only sense for small code packages, and if being able to do a centralized update of the code package is not an issue.

Feel free to do it with the satchel ;)

Upvote 0
Hammer

Hammer

Just an idea Hammer, but use the best of both worlds. Use the actual actor that worluk has created (modified pf pick-up for satchel) with dingbat's delivery system (scripted triggers). Don't just place the spawn actor in the map, but use scripted triggers for "spawning the pick-up","wait" for the next respawn, use a counter trigger for how many. This method would also allow you to post a message that the satchels are all gone once you decide to end the spawn. You can use a player proximity trigger to only spawn if a player is close by. The triggers really give you alot of flexibility for any ideas you have. If you still need to see Dingbat's, here it is RO-SpawnSatchel.zip (it's a great intro to scripting and triggers for me, as well).

Reservoir Dog

Upvote 0
yep he sent that to me but I dont know what I am going to use maybe a bit of both like you said, see I dont want to let the russians get the satchels but the germans have to get them so I am going place a proximity trigger triggered by Germans(think that is possible) and have it activate a destroyable mesh ( think this is also possible), so then I can hide worluks spawner under a big crate lets say. Now if I put the satchels far enough back the Germs will have to use strategy to get the satchels where they need them and if they are back far enough it will be a real waste to go get them after you are done with needing them I am going to do the same kind of thing with the Pfausts as well. Should be interesting to see how it works out. My map will require much more communication and strategy than the average run cap, we will see what everyone thinks.

Upvote 0
Another customize satchel map

Another customize satchel map

My Farm map is undergoing a total revision. I have a historian on board and want to make it more accurate with a historical battle but still have similar gameplay without satchel spamming. A possible idea is setting up tree road blocks for tanks which is accurate for this area and time period. Not sure yet if this idea can be incorporated effectively or not, I have been warned it might not. But sachels would be the only thing to clear them so it would add some more tactics to the map. Right now the tank crewmen have satchels because I wanted a possible defense for infantry if cornered by a tank. There are too many satchels in the map the way it is. And the snipers don't have them and are usually the ones that are caught in a field or forrest with an enemy tank. I want to try an ammunition table or crate with a few satchels at the spawns so not everyone has one but they are distributed among the different roles and a controlled number of them. I have also added some secondary objective locations. Although they are not captured goals to win the round they hold important tools to help the team to win (extra radio, panzerfausts, and now satchels) and important to defend. I will have to play with the triggers abit to figure out exactly how I want to use them.

Anyway good luck with your project Hammer. I'll be looking for your map under the beta section. And thanks Worluk for the time to make the satchel spawn and for explaining how to do it.

RD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it should be pretty easy to time the spawning of the satchel and the amount of satchels that is spawned. Maybe i look into it when i get some time, but the code is there, just modify it ;)

Yep I had a look and saw no references to the number of items spawned even in the editor in the props i tried setting it to zero since 1 was the default but no change . Hmmm ??? I will keep looking you would think it would just give you one like the PF.

Upvote 0
I got a message that reservoir dog posted a message about an error in this thread and I cam in to reply but I am not seeing the message. I believe that I was getting a similar error as him. From what it said it looks like the .u file needs to be distributed with the map to go in the servers system folder and that embedding the code does not seem to work. Any more on this.

Upvote 0
Hey Hammer

Hey Hammer

Yes I did post a message about an error I had. I tried to follow the instructions that Worluk posted but I didn't go to the Wiki as suggested. The Wiki tells you to go to the actor browser and click on and off of "show actor as parent" to see your new embedded actor. I think I added it twice and didn't add the actor before rebuild since at first it didn't look like it had worked and now I have codes in the map that "depend" on the .u file. Even when I delete the satchel spawns from the map, to load the map it requires that .u file. This error might be because of the quirky nature of the Unreal editor.

I have successfully added an embedded satchel spawn in a map after that using Worluk and Wiki instructions. When I move the .u file out of the system folder the map works and can be loaded into the editor. Its not Worluk's fault I got excited and jumped the gun without look at the Wiki first. So I withdrew my post here and pm him my problem with the first map.

Playing around I have a possible solution for fixing my first map but it is time consuming, tedious, and a pain in the a$$. You have to first save all of your "mylevel" stuff, textures (especially the heigh map), meshes, sounds, etc into packages. You then export your map from the "File" toolbar to a .t3d file. This process seems to eliminate any extra "actors/mistake actors" you created. It also lets you see your map in a text file. Import it again and you see all of your meshes, spawn points but none of the mylevel stuff. In particular no heightmap which generates your terrain. I think you reimport all of your mylevel packages and you are ok minus the actors that depend on .u files. Not sure if you have to retexture your terrain again or not. I was asking Worluk if there is a way to purge this weird error so I wouldn't have to go through all of that.

He has pmed me back saying there is something in the map that refers to the .u file. When I type in the log window "obj list class=ROSatchelSpawn" it shows the 8 total satchels "objects" I had in my map even though I have deleted the actors from the map itself, rebuild, and save. I knew something was up when I deleted all of the actors and could still see the "ROSatchelSpawn" under pickup in the actor browser. I tried the flush command to "flush" the cache. Can't seem to get rid of the "objects" even though I'm not using the actors. I am hoping there is someway to do it without doing the work-around I mentioned earlier.

Reservoir Dog

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unattaching bad actors (like Tom Cruise....jj)

Unattaching bad actors (like Tom Cruise....jj)

It wasn't as bad as I had thought. After doing some more reading and playing around it didn't take me long at all to purge the map of any corrupted objs (objects)/actors that I have imported or created myself. I am posting this for Hammer and community, though I know everyone else knows to back up their map before coding and importing code....hehe.

First export your map to a .t3d file from the File toolbar. Then save all of your "Mylevel" stuff (textures, meshes, animations, sounds, etc.) to a package with the same names but with their respective file extensions (name of map works). Close editor. Reopen editor and with no map loaded go to you texture browser. Open the package you just created. Use the "show all" button so you can see everything on one screen. Now "rename" each texture (this is the tedious part) and only change the package to "mylevel." Once you have done this your package you created will dissappear from the texture browser. Do this for the rest of the items that you stored in "mylevel." Now you have a blank level with all of your mylevel stuff in it. Go to "File" and import your .t3d file. It will ask if you want to import it onto the existing level. Put a check in the box to do so. Do a complete rebuild and you are done.

The only thing is that I think you lose your groups in this process, but you start out with just the system actors and purged any unwanted actors out. The only other thing I had to do is redirect a texture of a cubemap that was pointing at my package I created in order to save my map. It was done in less than 10 minutes and I tested the map and it works fine. Since I have browsed the forums for something like this and couldn't find it I just wanted to let everyone know. Hope this helps Hammer, I think you had the same problem that I did.

Reservoir Dog

Upvote 0