• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Error] Russians graffitis are wrong. Some of them.

I hope nobody really expects or "demand" TW to fix them? Definitely few bigger bugs around to fix first... And at least they're quite close. In many games, studios just throw something that looks/sounds Russian or Arabic to Americans.

But the post was great and I appreciate the effort you put into it. Nice read really, especially that E-Sherlock find about Spartanovka town hall :D

Upvote 0
I hope nobody really expects or "demand" TW to fix them? Definitely few bigger bugs around to fix first... And at least they're quite close. In many games, studios just throw something that looks/sounds Russian or Arabic to Americans.

But the post was great and I appreciate the effort you put into it. Nice read really, especially that E-Sherlock find about Spartanovka town hall :D

Still, I hope Putz sees this.And they aren't trying to "please" only Americans... that's such a stereotypical view point. These guys are American, but they are trying to please everyone, not just Americans. If this game couldn't be sold in the USA, do you think the the cyrillic would be correct or not there at all?

Think about what your saying before you start slinging that kind of garbage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pprkut and Rumo
Upvote 0
Still, I hope Putz sees this.And they aren't trying to "please" only Americans... that's such a stereotypical view point. These guys are American, but they are trying to please everyone, not just Americans. If this game couldn't be sold in the USA, do you think the the cyrillic would be correct or not there at all?

Think about what your saying before you start slinging that kind of garbage.

I am sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say, but I get the feeling that you didn't understand me either.

What I said was, that graffitis in RO2 seem to be great compared to many mainstream games, where they can be something random and totally irrelevant to the theme. As long as they "look Russian" enough to *any western majority customer*.
Good example of this is "opforian" language, what enemies used in Americas Army. It was mix of russian/bulgarian/some other Eastern European language and it didn't really mean anything. But still people thought it was real language.

So details in RO2 are close enough in my opinion. Thinking those small mistakes are a really big deal is almost as petty as complaining about wrong serial numbers in gun models. At least in this stage of the game, I wouldn't want any manpower to be wasted on something this minor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pprkut
Upvote 0
I am sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say, but I get the feeling that you didn't understand me either.

What I said was, that graffitis in RO2 seem to be great compared to many mainstream games, where they can be something random and totally irrelevant to the theme. As long as they "look Russian" enough to *any western majority customer*.
Good example of this is "opforian" language, what enemies used in Americas Army. It was mix of russian/bulgarian/some other Eastern European language and it didn't really mean anything. But still people thought it was real language.

So details in RO2 are close enough in my opinion. Thinking those small mistakes are a really big deal is almost as petty as complaining about wrong serial numbers in gun models. At least in this stage of the game, I wouldn't want any manpower to be wasted on something this minor.

The basis of my argument is that you simply targeted americans as the reason that little effort was put into the signs, because we are the major selling point. Instead of saying 'if it sounds russian/european then americans won't notice' it should be 'as long as it sounds russian/european then english speakers probably won't notice'.

There's also a reason games like america's army uses this opfor made up language; it's because it's the opfor, it's non-existant and they likely didn't want to add russians or arabs as the enemy so it appeals to everyone. In games where the enemy IS russian, that's probably what you are going to hear.

I understood what you said, but it was offensive and I didn't appreciate it. I honestly don't want to carry out this argument any more then you probably do, so let's just agree that we both interpreted each other incorrectly.

Upvote 0
The basis of my argument is that you simply targeted americans as the reason that little effort was put into the signs, because we are the major selling point. Instead of saying 'if it sounds russian/european then americans won't notice' it should be 'as long as it sounds russian/european then english speakers probably won't notice'.

There's also a reason games like america's army uses this opfor made up language; it's because it's the opfor, it's non-existant and they likely didn't want to add russians or arabs as the enemy so it appeals to everyone. In games where the enemy IS russian, that's probably what you are going to hear.

I understood what you said, but it was offensive and I didn't appreciate it. I honestly don't want to carry out this argument any more then you probably do, so let's just agree that we both interpreted each other incorrectly.
lol you sure feel important

Reactions: Viersbovsky
Upvote 0
Massive necropost:

I found a really weird sign on Pavlov's House (now that my graphics are high enough to read it), on the side of the chapel in the middle of January 9th Square. I can't find what Ologn'iy might mean unless it's a person's name, I don't know why there's an exclamation mark, and I think that seal shows a pre-Soviet imperial eagle. Is it some obscure Orthodox saint? Is it related to the 1905 massacre of Jan. 9th?

Spoiler!

All in all, I don't know what to make of it. :D

Upvote 0