• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rugby World Cup

Rugby World Cup

• New Zealand

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Australia

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • France

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • South Africa

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Argentina

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Ireland

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • England

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Wales

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scotland

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
We gave away 8 points (Traille's imitation of Pointrenaud _ those who regularly follow the Heineken cup will understand _ and Swarzeski's unfortunate High tackle), and when we showed genius (like that volleyed pass on the touchline) we subsequently wasted opportunities 5 meters from the tryline. Also, an excellent Bauxis was substituted by a not overly inspired Michalak
This and England rather good => English victory.

Upvote 0
And already doing the rounds, a couple of comments posted by Jonathon Davies, a Welshman and arguably one of the greatest rugby players in either code:

Firstly, what do you call the seventh and eighth place in the 2007 World Cup? The answer: the Bledisloe Cup," (for those NON rugby players, who only support 'their' team during world cups etc, the Bledisloe cup is played regularly between Australia and New Zealand and is touted as the ultimate match between two of the greatest teams in the world)

"Where are the world's most under-achieving coaches? Answer: New Zealand. Where have the Welsh Rugby Union's top three officials gone looking for a new coach? Answer: New Zealand

Incidentally, these comments about boring rugby etc which are being justified with comments like "I'd even say this if it were my OWN team playing", etc etc etc. Sorry but it just sounds like sour grapes. England are poised on the brink of becoming the FIRST team ever to sucessfully defend the world cup. I've been following them for years and am used to the highs and many many lows in their performance. The fact of the matter is for all their beautiful play the All Blacks have underperformed, the Australian scrummage (which is important no matter what they think in the land of super 14 competitions) was pants meaning they couldn't get any ball to one of the most devastating back lines in the competition. The Irish (my pre tournament outside bets) massively underperformed, while the Welsh were good only in fits and starts.

Its been said before and will be said again. The world cup is a marathon NOT a sprint, and the team that can keep plodding on even when they're not playing well will win. Thats what England have done, and if their style of play gets them the win I guarantee that no-one here will be moaning in 2 years time about HOW they did it, they'll only remember that they DID do it. Personally I DO hope that the Argies get through to the final too, and if they did I'd be really struggling as to who to support as I love their style of play and the fact that they have truly risen to the occasion.

So who voted in the poll for their team to win and is still in a position to see it happen? :D Just a few of us then :D:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well what a tactfull bloke YOU are Coey . Allow me to retort. League is great to watch, BUT not as popular (outside Australia and the North of England) as Union. I played Union, Trained union and Reffed Union, but I am the first to admit that League is more of a spectacle (when played well). Unfortunately, crap league is just as bad as crap union to watch so don't deceive yourself. Anyway isn't it time for you to tell me how the Aussies stuffed the Kiwis at league?
Shame :D:D:D

Upvote 0
I was replying to SheepDip.

Anyway, I too play Rugby Union and I enjoy it very much, but watching Super League (Trent Barrett!!!), Aussie League (State of Origin!!!) etc is much better than the Heineken Cup nearly any day of the week. I'm not saying Union is always boring and League is always fantastic, but most of the time, at the top level, that's how it is.

Upvote 0
Incidentally, these comments about boring rugby etc which are being justified with comments like "I'd even say this if it were my OWN team playing", etc etc etc. Sorry but it just sounds like sour grapes. England are poised on the brink of becoming the FIRST team ever to sucessfully defend the world cup. I've been following them for years and am used to the highs and many many lows in their performance. The fact of the matter is for all their beautiful play the All Blacks have underperformed, the Australian scrummage (which is important no matter what they think in the land of super 14 competitions) was pants meaning they couldn't get any ball to one of the most devastating back lines in the competition. The Irish (my pre tournament outside bets) massively underperformed, while the Welsh were good only in fits and starts.

Its been said before and will be said again. The world cup is a marathon NOT a sprint, and the team that can keep plodding on even when they're not playing well will win. Thats what England have done, and if their style of play gets them the win I guarantee that no-one here will be moaning in 2 years time about HOW they did it, they'll only remember that they DID do it.
I couldn't agree more mate.
I too have watched england for years.In fact i have been watching them since the mid 70's (yes i am that old) and i have seen some shocking England teams.So its nice to see them sticking it to these bleeding upstart nations.:D
That semi final was one of the most tense i have watched.Which up until the drop goal by you know who could have gone either way.
Yes it wasn't a brilliant open type of game.But then there is too much at stake for it to be one anyway.
But all that matters is that this team of B grade old men,Who have only got one decent world class player in the whole squad(to quote some Aussie guys before they lost the last game) are in another final and only 80 mins away from winning.
If they can win is a different matter as SA may be too strong for them.But we shall see.
The only problem is my wife has booked a birthday meal at 9 oclock when the final is being played.So i can't watch it.The chance of me taping the match and then getting through the night without find out the resuilt are pretty remote.
What a bummer.

Upvote 0