• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RSTE-Kobayakawa

Cranston_29thid

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2010
Hello everyone. I've been working on a map on and off for a good while. The map actually started as nothing more than a way for me to get into the editor, but over time the map and concept grew on me. After a period of uncertainty I finally decided to get it ready in time for the mapping contest. Although there are still plenty of things I want to improve on the map, I think it is in a sufficient state to be released for public play, which is why I'm making this thread.

This map differs from the custom Rising Storm maps I've seen so far in a few ways. Firstly, it is not based on any historical battle or event. Secondly, it focuses on urban combat, something I've felt has been lacking in Rising Storm (although for understandable reasons). In any case, I feel that Rising Storm as a game provides a very nice base for urban combat so I wanted my map to explore this aspect of the game as no other map to my knowledge fully does (with the exception of Saipan).

Thirdly, my map is as far as I know the only Rising Storm where both teams are on attack. Every Rising Storm map features one team attacking and the other defending, where the objective capture progression is linear. While I think this is a solid way to build a map, I wanted to do something different and explore other approaches. This is why I decided to go for the double-attack setup similar to TE-Barracks.

RSTE-Kobayakawa features 5 objectives in total. 2 of these start out locked, where one belongs to the US and the other to the Japanese. The remaining 3 objectives start out neutral and open, with equal distance from the US and Japanese spawns. The objective of the map is for one team to capture and hold all the 3 central objectives simultaneously to open up the enemies last objective.

Download Link: http://ge.tt/3BYrGJx

For screenshots, please follow this link: http://29th.org/forums/index.php?topic=41385.0

Last edited:
I noticed a while back to my dismay that the majority of cover nodes got messed up somewhere down the line. Either they do not seem to be there ingame, or they'd be there but not working properly. It looks like I'll have to redo the entire pass. I'll update the first post as soon as this is corrected.

And while we're at it, why not have another screenshot.
c1s9HXV.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for reporting that. I noticed it as well shortly after releasing B2, the ammo dump does in fact include the area I wanted it to, it's just that the volume extends upwards as well. The icon appears in the center of the volume which is why it is elevated. It's something I've picked up when mapping for RO1 because it makes the position of volumes easier to see and manage. In the case of ammo dumps though, I guess this a habit I'll have to drop :)

I've received feedback regarding the brightness level being set too high. I would like to hear more opinions on this. I agree that it is definitely higher compared to most other maps.

Thanks for all the feedback I've received so far, both in this thread and through PMs. I realised I should have mentioned earlier that what I am after the most in terms of feedback is how the game plays (balance, spawn distances, chokepoints, objective entry and vantage points, cap time, etc). I want to hold back on any finer detailing until I know for sure that the map plays well with the current layout.

Upvote 0
I've received feedback regarding the brightness level being set too high.

I'd agree, it's very bright and clear in an artificial way. I think this as a moonlit night map or dark and rainy would be awesome, lots of high tension sneaking around.

I haven't played this map with many players, usually @ 10 so it ends up being whack a mole for the caps. It's hard to give much constructive feedback without a full server.

Upvote 0