• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ROplanes:plane models

You could definitely make a map big enough to have planes now that the view distance can go all the way out to 4000 meters. Planes definitely wouldn't work with any existing map, but a new map could be made. As far as realistic planes, you better go hire some aerospace engineers or the company that made IL2 to make your mod :) Realistic planes would be pretty hard to do without a ton of work and aeronautical knowledge. You could probably get something fun and semirealistic pretty easily though.

As far as on call air support is concerned, there wasn't really any on the Eastern Front. Almost all airstrikes were pre-planned. You could do it anyway just for fun, but it wouldn't be strictly realistic.

All due respects, my apologies for "on call air support"! I meant and should have said was "close air support" (CAS). Sorry for the confusion. I found this in one of my WWII Air War Tactics Books. Quote:

Eastern Front

The Red Air Force was not slow to recognize the value of ground support aircraft. Even as far back as the Nomonhan incident, Russian aircraft were tasked with disrupting enemy ground operations. This use increased markedly after the German invasion. Purpose-built aircraft such as the Ilushin IL-2 Sturmovik were highly effective in blunting the activity of the Panzers.

German CAS reached its peak on the Eastern Front during the period 1941-1943. Their decline was caused by the growing strength of the Red Air Force and the redeployment of assets to defend against American and British strategic bombardment. The introduction of improved Soviet tanks, the T-34 and KV-1 reduced the effectiveness of close air support, even after the adoption of 30mm cannon and shaped-charge bombs. While German procedures for CAS lead the way, their loss of air superiority and technological advantage, combined with a declining supply of aircraft and fuel, crippled their ability to provide CAS after 1943.

I am not suggesting "flyable" type aircraft similar to BattleField, but more like your suggestion, just for fun. Just a change of pace from the same arty barrages found on most RO maps. After all isn't it really about fun and not history? I can get history from a book, but to participate in as near to realistic WWII battles, RO is the only way to go. OneShot

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If planes are very difficult to control in RO: O why not have them only as bots controlled entirely by the AI and they would be used for airstrikes when called up by the squad leader or commander ? I'm sure someone has requested a low flying Stuka for taking out Soviet infantry and vehicles without the player doing the all the work. It should replace the current out of nowhere arty system in RO: O. Does anyone agree with me ?

Upvote 0
well you wouldn't need computer AI for that...suggesting bot controlled planes would require even more work than player controlled ones. the bots in RO are stupid at the best of times imagine try to get them to think on the X,Y and Z axis.. you could implement that feature with a smesh on a code so you could see the planes fly over and them bombs would fall around the target. However i'm not sure this is something for the TC mods to consider unless we get some spare time more likely someone like AHZ doing the excellent addons that they do could perhaps look at it.

Upvote 0
something that no one has pointed out here is that in order for planes not to pwn everything else any mod team attempting it would also have to put in AA guns, or flak vehicles which is more work and in turn these wud no doubt become anti infantry behemoths that wud un balance the game.

I've seen many videos where anty aircraft guns were used to shoot stuff on the ground.
If the planes and guns are done properly they will benefit the team the most by shooting planes instead of shooting infantry. They could become an interesting oportunity to encourage team work.

Upvote 0
I used to think is would be nice to call an 'airstrike' as such, but in truth ground attack aircraft would mince up anything on the ground, so it's best left. unless you are going to call it to a location, and then have the daft sight of ordinance being dropped on an empty space , where you target was 1 minute ago.
You would have to suspend realism and phaps presume a lone aircraft with limited munitions and fuel, or it's round over. If airsupport isn't going to be as effective as it should- leave it out.
And having the ability to shoot them down (flakpanzers etc) or even flyable planes is for a different game surely. I recon RO should stick to what it does best, and not risk having a poor mans 'forgotton battles' bolted on. For me the effort would be better spent knocking out a few more tanks, vehicles, paint schemes etc.

I have thought it would be nice to have scripted planes to add to the atmosphere. I.e. dogfights above the battlefield or some low flying bombers that rumble the ground and such. nothing over the top, just more imerrsive atmorsphere.

Yeah at the most thats what you want, as was added to BDJ and it certainly added atmosphere- although if you do add planes for effect to some extent you may wonder why they aren't getting involved in the action below.

Upvote 0
ROPLANECRAFT is broken. So it's more difficult than you make it sound. (the unrealistic flight model would have to be built from the ground up)

If you WANTED to fix the RO/ONS-planecraft you have to change lift to work through the Z of the craft instead of the world Z.

Broken as in it doesn't work at all? Or broken as in it doesn't have the functionality you want it to have?

Upvote 0
it wudnt be quite as easy as you suggest Nillson...and yeh Ramm im not 100% sure what moz was talkin about but i assume he means the functionality or maybe the concept in general. Either way its one hell of a lot of work for a feature that really wudnt add much if it was just to replace airstrikes and its def way too much work to get them in as vehicles.

Upvote 0