• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 and why I will play BF3 more

ChaoticRambo

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
When I pick a game to play, it is for a specific reason. When it comes to FPSs, that falls into two categories - realism, and general play.

As a long time Battlefield fan, I started getting more into the realism aspects of the FPS genre when Project Reality mod was released. Later down the road I came upon RO1. I loved this game for its realism, and the strange ability it had on my gameplay to change from run and gun to watch every little corner and window.

RO1 did this in a few ways, number one would obviously be the weapon accuracy and lethality. Another, which is unfortunately forgotten in RO2 was the length of time it took to get to the battlefield. In RO1 the most ****ty thing to happen was to run all the way to the front line, and instantly die - this caused good players to change their play style into a more realistic one of not wanting to die (a lot more so than in other games).

So I started playing RO1 when I wanted realism, and Battlefield when I wanted all out war (tanks, planes, infantry, naval). However, for some reason - the magic of RO1 is just not in RO2. Don't get me wrong, it is still a fun game, but there are a lot of little things that kill the reason I started playing it.

#1 - Playing maps on a best of three scale - this turns each battle into a game instead of a war.
#2 - [Shift] zoom - terrible all around, all it should do is hold your breath, we don't have bionic vision even in modern times
#3 - Spawning close to the combat - turns it into a run and gun game

Don't get me wrong, there are many things I love about RO2 and will keep me playing, but it just doesn't have the magic anymore.

I was playing the BF3 beta today, and had an experience that I have not had in a while in a FPS. The classic, losing track of time. I got into a map and was so enthralled in the action, that I did not notice I had been playing for two and a half hours. I don't think I have played RO2 for that long in a single setting.

So, I personally will be playing a lot more BF3 than RO2, simply because RO2 has not lived up to the reason I started playing it. Perhaps things will change, but I doubt it.

Thank you Tripwire for producing a niche market game so lovingly and you did make a very fun game, I just think you should have followed more of what you had done in RO1 than what you have done now.

#1 - Playing maps on a best of three scale - this turns each battle into a game instead of a war.
#2 - [Shift] zoom - terrible all around, all it should do is hold your breath, we don't have bionic vision even in modern times

#1 - Guess what, this IS a game. And believe me, you don't ever want to be in a real war, ever!
#2 - I feel sorry for TWI because they have to explain this again and again and again. The zoom tries to simulate reality, as you can't emulate the behaviour of human eyes in a game in terms of FOV. Do you remember how the only thing you can see of an enemy at ranges of 150m and beyond in RO1 are two pixels? This is NOT realistic.
#3 - Just like BF3?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My point through all of this is not which game I like more, because I like each one for different reasons.

The point is that the reasons for which I played RO1 are now gone in RO2 in an attempt to make the game more mainstream.

I do enjoy how much you people instantly jump on anyone who criticizes RO2. I have said that I do enjoy the game, just not as much as I enjoyed RO1.

If I had made a post about how I played the BF3 beta and RO2 blew it out of the water, all of you would have jumped up and said how right I am.

If no one criticizes the things the enjoy, the things they enjoy will never improve.

Upvote 0
BF3 and RO2 arnt in same vocab people, stop comparing.

Bf3 is fun, A LOT OF FUN! Caspain Border is a TRUE BF map and BF3 is a TRUE sequel. OP Metro is a CoD map for the console kids, ignore that.

But yea, I played RO2 and BF3 all day. RO is different than BF3, so STOP COMPARING THEM. Both are fun, but when I want some mega action i rather play BF3 64 player than RO2 64 lag fest.. just saying

Upvote 0
Stuff like this will just earn you auto-downvotes regardless of content in the rest of your post (and you don't really have any). Learn why zoom is in the game.

Upvote 0
As a long time Battlefield fan, I started getting more into the realism aspects of the FPS genre when Project Reality mod was released. Later down the road I came upon RO1. I loved this game for its realism, and the strange ability it had on my gameplay to change from run and gun to watch every little corner and window.

LOL! You thought that was REALISTIC? Have you ever served in an army as an infantryman? Do you know what they teach infantrymen?

One thing I was taught was how to use rapid movement to spoil the enemy's aim. I was taught the physiological and psychological reasons why hitting an upright running man is harder than hitting a prone motionless one. We were taught to not try to aim at a target the way a target shooter would. We were told if you are in the open, and someone is shooting at you, you have more chance to stay alive if you run than if you go prone.

In other words, we were taught that what you did in RO1 will get you killed. Not "it's a bad idea", "it will get you killed" period.

THAT is realistic, whether you like it or not.

Another, which is unfortunately forgotten in RO2 was the length of time it took to get to the battlefield.
So what you are complaining about is that you spend more time fighting and less time running to the fight?

OK... no idea what to say about that, really. If you are bored because you have to fight so much, then maybe this isn't the game for you.

In RO1 the most ****ty thing to happen was to run all the way to the front line, and instantly die - this caused good players to change their play style into a more realistic one of not wanting to die (a lot more so than in other games).
Bollocks. If that's what you wanted, you'd be after one-life servers. I bet they were practically non-existent in RO1 too. No, what you want is a SLOWER game, not a more realistic one. You just use "realistic" as a codeword for "not too fast for me to be able to cope".

Real battles are fast and furious and over in moments, one way or the other. The long slow bit is the boring walk between battles. That's why soldiers describe war as being 99% boredom and 1% pure terror. You are asking for the "pure terror" to be left out so you can focus on the "boredom".

The real grain elevator battle happened over 3 days or so, but each day there were a dozen or more attacks like the one we play. Each attack might last about an hour, but then everyone would stop and regroup and recover, then start all over again. It wasn't that they just sat there sniping at each other for 3 days. If they did, they would STILL be fighting for the grain elevator.

Go play BF3, and leave RO2 alone. No one will miss you.

Upvote 0
BF3 turned out to be all HYPE

BF3 turned out to be all HYPE

I dont know what the big Deal is. It turns out that battlefield 3 is buggy as hell, It is so buggy that it makes RO2 in beta look like a polished game thats been out a year, BF3 did not live up to all of its hype in any way. It dint even turn out to have a resemblance to the battlefield series. Its grafics look worse than bad company 2 yet guy with $530 gtx 580 were only getting 45 fps and guys with 2 gtx 580's in SLI were getting 70 FPS<< Thats $1060 worth of video card and not even counting the computer. To top it off, many of the features promised in BF3 dint pan out for pc players. It turned out to be just another version of bad company 2 with worse grafics and performance. It was all multi million doller marketing and Hype. Even the grafics look more interesting in RO2. BF3 looks exactly like just another console game.
RO2 blows BF3 away in gameplay. Its not even close. IMO Ro2 is the best war FPS to come out in the last 5 years. And im someone who has played Battlefield series for last ten years.

Upvote 0

#1- This is in the works from what I have heard. The maps are typically full so it really hasn't mattered up to this point.

#2- Using a rifle on large maps shift zoom barely gives you any advantage at all. The main reason to use it is for a short second to hold your breath. Maybe your screen is larger than mine so it zooms in more.

#3- Sorry, the squad leader spawn only works half of the time as it is. I personally feel that it is broken. Most players don't want to wait 10 mins to get back into the game.

Upvote 0