• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO1: Darkest Hour MOD

Otto Heinrich

Mar 7, 2013
I know I'm not posting this in the correct section but I wanted to how we can revive this mod because its outstanding but the bad part about it is that the mod is mainly dead as in no one really plays it anymore. We need to come up with a plan to revive this outstanding mod and get it more people.

I know I'm not posting this in the correct section but I wanted to how we can revive this mod because its outstanding but the bad part about it is that the mod is mainly dead as in no one really plays it anymore. We need to come up with a plan to revive this outstanding mod and get it more people.

Yup, wrong section. Expect your thread to be moved or locked (most likely moved)

But before that happens, I'll add something to the discussion.

RO1 and DH's player population has pretty much dwindled to non-existence and that's just what happens to games, regardless of how great they were.

They're dated and most players have moved on to newer games.

I liked Day of Defeat more then DoD Source, but that didn't help keep the player counts up..... people moved onto DoDS or some other game and all you'll find are bot servers or just plain empty servers.

I loved ROCA more than RO1, and while you can still magically find 1 or 2 servers online for the mod, they're located in Russia or some other far away place and for me to play with such a high ping, it's just not worth it.

As for Darkest Hour.... I never liked it and found it more basic in animations, models and textures (as well as map design) than the Original RO mod.... it was lacking in a lot of things and did nothing for me.

Content?

Yeah it had a lot of content.... but as they say, quantity doesn't equate to quality and DH needed a hell of a lot more quality for me to find it appealing.

DH was made by a mod team.... and ROCA was made by a mod team.... yet ROCA had so much more quality put into it than DH did.

I mean:
http://rupix.org/images/24627825812410028835.jpg

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/1/647/12452.jpg
ROCA ^

-----------------------------------------

http://static.yousaytoo.com/post_images/e0/48/b4/550142/remote_image_1324273264.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/615/fg42ingamecopywe1ac2.jpg
DH ^

It was like I was thrown back to 2001, not 2005-2007... for a mod for RO1, I would expect something at least close to the quality of the original RO Mod.

And while I was not impressed with some of the gameplay mechanics being changed in RO1 from the mod, the gameplay mechanics for DH went even further to something I just simply despised.... and with some really bad weapon models on top of shoddy gameplay mechanics, trying to properly aim with bad weapon sights and horrible weapon recoils & muzzle flashes, it simply wasn't a game I enjoyed.

...... To each their own of course.

With all of that said, if you want to get more players together to play a game you really enjoyed, start up a group, add like-minded friends on Steam and setup times to play while hosting your own matches during a specific time.

Make up a forum for everybody to join for easier input and organization of matches. There are many free forum hosting sites out there you can choose from.

Best of luck.

Upvote 0
DH isn't dead.
http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/70.42.74.69:7757/

As you can see this server is nearly full everyday at the evering/ late day. There was a server browser bug but it seems it has been fixed days ago!? (use Gametracker site to know if the server is empty or not, anyway!)

I love how some enjoy to say How bad was a FREE mod. More strange those folk LOVEEEEEE RO2 fast Run&Gun. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Wonder oh wonder, somehow my server issues and those of a few other people i know were fixed which meant that over the last weekend people started hoping on to DH again. On the other hand another pal of mine just started to get it and has to use server ips to connect so i am not 100% sure what happend there.
I use gametracker anyways to check if there are any servers and connect via ip. Worked also while the serverbrowserbug was still active on my side.
Graphics and other game elements are outdated of course but its not always about the external beauty ;)

Upvote 0
No, DH isn't dead. There is a very tight group of regulars who play on a daily basis. The 29th server is full throughout the day, most days.. only dieing at night. The JR and RP servers have people on them too last I looked, but not many.

I also had my reservations about the 29th server way back when, but I'm over it now. Some of the admins are dicks, let's face it. The rules are such that one is led to believe there is a 4 year-old sitting on the lap of every 29th admin as they play, and the slightest banter of an adult nature is somehow scarring this poor little girl for life. Not the limbs flying through the air, or depictions of men shooting and stabbing each other.. but you saying 'sh!t' are gonna ruin the children of the 29th admins forever! Heh. Anyway, that's my little rant about the over done rules they have. When we had the Darkest Orchestra server going things were so much more relaxed, you could feel it.. it was nice. Much more fun.

With that said however, the 29th server is the most populated server, their rules are so tight and they have admins who live to log into the admin console and doggedly pursue the slightest fart.. because of this you do have good games free of intentional jerks.. they don't last long there.

Come play DH! It isn't dead. The gameplay is better than RO2 by miles, and there are still some cool peeps in here.

Upvote 0
I would happily have continued playing but unfortunately, the only populated server is operated by the rudest, most sanctimonius turds I've ever had the misfortune to encounter online -29th ID.

I'd rather suck molten lead through a pipe than play any game alongside those guys. So if you fancy being shouted at, abused, tk'ed then kicked for no reason at all, then by all means play DH.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
There are still people playing, not as many as RO1 last time I checked but still enough to get some good games. Personally I am not a fan of DH, play it a bit for something different but feel like it could use some work. Maps mostly, but maybe I just have not been playing on the right ones.

Now Mare Nostrum, that is a mod that seems dead, have not been able to find a game on it. Unfortunate since it seems fun, if not a bit lacking in content(what is there is good though). Might just be the times I try to find games though.

Upvote 0