• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad RO Realism - Whats the story?

burning sands was a failure due to the combination of lack of administrative assistance from the MN team and the lack of participation from the 100+ players who signed up to play. sam was busy with other things and it ended up being myself along with the huge help from jim miller and butch cassidy from TWB helping out with server stuff.....anyway that is in the past now, time to look foward.

the idea for the large campaign was such a good one. a way to combine everything and get the realism community working together. now that units are again having scrims and battles and are starting to get along better, this has a shot at working. it is just up all participants to work TOGETHER to make something work. may i also suggest that this gets IC involved? it appears as though they are at a standstill for the time being, but they are looking to move into DH?!?! perhaps pulling all resources together to make a grand Realism Campaign on all fronts, and including both realism units and regular clans, and even individual signups will really produce something really fun and successful.

i know ROLeague still has the 50 man MN server that was used for battles, but only 24 man match servers for regular RO matches. however, i know some clans like [50pc.] and -[SiN]- have 40 man RO servers that could be setup for use, and i think [50pc.] and maybe <AKA> have 40man DH servers as well. the map that sam made would be great to build off of, and i know IC has mappers that could help with map modding, and of course medals for the eastern front.

Upvote 0
I def. think it could work out great if we all pull together and work on this. The realism community and clans in the RO League I feel have finally bridged a gap and can work together on this new campaign idea. If you wish to help out, try to get more clans interested in the idea like TWB, [50pc], AKA, and so on. I don't think anyone would have a issue with non-realism units playing beside realism units as long as we all play by the same realistic rules.

Werner and I have been working on a totally new site and concept (but goes back to the "On All Fronts" idea. I've also added a Timeline rule so the Germans wouldn't get Panthers in 41 maps and so on.

If anyone wants to help make this work let me know and I will give you the website that we are working on. This will basicly add some WW2 Online Battleground Europe in with RO/DH/MN. 41 through 45.

Upvote 0
Well, it looks like the 29thID (very interested) plus some of the RO League clans will be joining us on this "On all Fronts" campaign. We are still working out the details between one Huge campaign or a bunch of small campaigns, I personally like the idea of doing all of WW2 from 41 to 45, but have German Generals decide where to attack. The goal is to combine more strategy and accomplishment in with the overall campaign, like Axis and Allies meets RO/DH/MN. There will be a timeline used also for new tanks developed, and when the Americans can join in.

Maps loadouts will be configured to resemble each commanders request in tanks, arty, and infantry. Also, with more clans joining the campaign, more then one game maybe played per week plus each sector could have several maps that need to be played (that can be played in one day), but still rotating fronts per week.

War map - The map will be of all of Europe to the Urals to North Africa. It will be divided into sectors with a number in each sector. The numbers are the amount of maps that need to be won to capture that sector plus the amount of points each sector is worth.

Points - These are used to purchase new troops and equipment at the beginning of each turn. The points will be distributed among that nations Army Groups. it is up to the Nations Leader or the AG Commanders to distribute the Points per turn.

Army Groups - These are the fighting units of each nation. Each army group will be comprised of different types of divisions Infantry, Mechanized, Tank.
A clan/realism unit will be considered a division of the Army group and will take one of the 3 titles of a division (each clan can be more then one Division within other Allied Army groups, just not the same Army Group.). This is needed so the AG Commander can put a Division that best suites the maps needs into action. (Example: U.S. Army Group 1 has the 3rdAD/{SHD} as it's Tank Division, the AG Commander wants to use this on the map of Cagny, against a Panzer Division. The Mechanized Unit will be good for Combined Arms, Infantry for Infantry maps, and Armored for Tank maps (and small combined maps). The AG Commander will direct his army group into whatever adjacent sector he/she wishes to attack/defend.

Local Milita - Some Areas may not have any army groups defending them, but will have to defeat the local milita, so this could be a Combined arms or infantry map, but the defender only gets to use infantry and no support. This will be played by volunteers from the side defending. The kills that the milita inflicts does count towards the AG deaths, but the Militia acts as a invisible army and only appears when a vacant sector is attacked. Only one map is played for that sector instead of the number in the sector.

Timeline - The timeline starts in 41 and will proceed to 45. New tank classes will become available according to history and when the Americans will be allowed to enter the war.

This is the rough idea we had back in June for the "Big Campaign". I think this could be done and with more clans joining this should be able to work well.

Upvote 0
Details and revisions of this campaign,

Resources/points deleted - Instead of resources/points now, each turn will be 2 months and on each turn, each army group will recieve re-inforcements instead of the ability to purchase units. This was changed due to have more control on the realism factor. The reinforcements will be planned out 6 turns/year in advance, so commanders will know when he/she receives more troops/equipment and can plan their attack accordingly.

War Map - The war map has been setup into sectors and enough maps in each for best case scenerio for the Germans to reach Moscow when they did in real life. The British/Germans could be pushed out of North Africa in 1 year. The re-inforcements for the Allies start getting more and more equipment as time goes by making it increasingly difficult for the Germans to defeat the Russians.

TimeLine - This hasn't been changed, but the Americans can only join the fight according to the timeline. Tanks like the Panther will be available for deployment in June of 43, and Firefly May of 44 and so on. I tried to pick months when they were first seen in action and not produced. Usually they were very close to each other production/saw action.

News from the Front - This will be a running newspaper of events happening on the front lines throughout the campaign.

Clans - All clans are welcomed to join up. You will not have to change your game names, but you will be fighting under a real unit name. Example: =SiN= would be known as 7thAD/=SiN=. Because each battle is with Army Groups, other units will be able to fight along side with your unit, or take your place when needed. Each clan/unit may play in more then one front when needed.

Individuals - Individuals may sign up and will fight along side divisions and can be in any army group (of the same side).

What is needed -

1. We could really use some big servers for this, setup with the realism mutator.
2. We need clans/units/individuals to sign-up in large numbers so we have fewer units playing double shift.
3. We could use another map modder. We have one already, but with so many fronts, it would be nice to have one more.

*So please PM if you wish to help out with the servers/map modder please. The site should be ready for public in about a week.

Metal

Upvote 0
No, everyone is allowed to join. Because you fight along side other clans/inidividuals/units, numbers shouldn't be a issue. There should always be enough soldiers to field since all fronts can be played by everyone (on the same side).

I think everyone will be impressed with the new site and hard work we've been putting into this. Hope to see all the realism units and clans sign up for this.

Upvote 0
I'm starting a small tactical squad, and if it does form we will be in this campaign for sure. A little more on the tactical squad, its Russian based and it would be like a realism unit just down sized. We would have the ranks and names and everything but just that unless it were to expand. Sorry to thread hijack but pm if your interested. On a side note like I said, if this forms you will have another group of guys fighting up in the eastern front for the reds.

Upvote 0