• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map RO-Makhnovo_Village Released - Final

It is not too difficult for concerted German efforts to take the Poshta within a timeframe of about 10 minutes. But the key word is concerted - without co-ordination (e.g. 1 HT load storms Poshta, 1 HT load fights off reinforcements) they will never cap it.

The fps issue is not going to go away - people without topend gfx cards should just avoid.

Upvote 0
Even though i have a lowend pc i really love that map!
The details are wonderful and very atmospheric, laundry in the gardens, flesh on the table, just like the inhabitants had just left....

Teamplay is crucial but usually works out fine when the halftracks are used well. (I have started to play "taxi" on it and i really enjoy it, wait until its full, bring them to action, return for a new truckload of cannonfodder :D)

The smoke is a good thing, really, if a map benefits from it, it is Makhnovo!

All in all: Wonderful map with lots of attention to atmosphere and details...
Please more of this good stuff, thnx a lot!:)

Upvote 0
Hi Comrade

I'm one of the free-trial player ...and I'm already convinced: I need this game!

And Makhno, I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only makhnovist left - soon the makhnovtchina will rise and the black flag will fly over Guljai-Polje once again!

Your map really looks cool ...but I'm a noob in this game and I don't know how to install it - could you tell me?

And and and ...if you haven't already seen 1936 - Espa

Attachments

• image20293.jpg
    image20293.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image20386.jpg
    image20386.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks comrade Makhno, the map works now - and it's very nice!

This is pretty funny. It seems that we have been living parallel gaming-lives (whatever that is) - For a long time I was a member of an anarchist MoH clan called Brigadas Internacionales (International Brigades)

You can visit my old clan here (and even see my picture in the BI Iconography):

http://hospe82.hospedajeydominios.com/~biclan/

It would be nice with a SCW conversion of RO - actually part of the 1936 community is looking for a new engine for the mod and I have proposed RO in the forum ...so maybe, some day. A Russian Civil War mod would be nice too - we could retake Guljai-Polje together :)

I didn't know about the movie - it looks a bit cheap, but I will definitely see it if I ever get the chance. Until then we must content ourselves with this little movie of the real Makhno:

http://www.mahno.ru/video/Dop1_TreskXvid2000.avi

...and a little rock and roll:

http://www.cnt-f.org/fau/IMG/mp3/Berurier_Noir_-_Makhnovtchina.mp3

If you don't already know them, you should visit there two Makhno-sites:

http://www.mahno.ru (in russian, but with a huge foto archive - look for Фотоархив)
http://www.nestormakhno.info/ (online Makhno archive in many languages - I wrote the danish section)

"Svoboda ili Smert!" ...hope to see you on the battlefield soon
-Makhno

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've played this map about half a dozen rounds and must say it's pretty well balanced with the smoke nades. I was a german sniper and had about 60 points at the end of the round, where the russians won out of reinforcements and time.

The poshta turned out to be the easiest objective to cap and the church gave us a hell of time because of skilled russian marksmen on the flanks. Even my Ueber SnipOrZ skills couldn't tame the russian bastion. Plus any half-track driver we had was mentally retarded... but what can you do. It was quite a blast and I'm looking forward to your new "marsh" map. Looks quite atmospheric. Thumbs up! :)

Upvote 0
The only thing that I still think needs improvement is that the 2nd cap be the entire building rather than just a room on the top floor. It would make more sense for the Russians to defend the building as a whole rather than to simply stay upstairs. This also would prevent the map from turning in to a war of attrition at this area of the map and the third objective can actually be fought for.

Also, as the Germans are attacking, I think reinforcements should be 220 to 200 or something that would favor the attacker. Also considering that the map takes place in 1941.

Upvote 0
Sorry for a veeeeery late response :)

I just have to say I like this map alot but there are some small issues.

1. FPS yeah it eats it up as I eat a bag of crisps if it is possible to optimise the map a bit without removing foilage from the map it would be great.

2. Lighting (or rather bloom settings) before my GF6600 GT gave up I played with bloom on and dude my eyes they buuuuurn.

3. the blue colour on the station house looks freaky (but maybe that's how you wanted it :p )

Upvote 0
Well the response is rather late, buuuuutt......

The fps has always been an issue and, at its heart it goes back to the basic design.

When I started making this map I didn't even know what an fps was :rolleyes: I wanted to make a big, open map with lots of detail. I had no idea that there is a trade-off that needs to be made between big areas and detail. It wasn't an issue for me personally because I have got a pretty good rig. It was only when I started beta-ing it that other people told me what it was doing to their fps.

By this time I was too far committed to the layout as it was/is to make any major changes - just removing some meshes where possible. My only hope is that, as people get better computers and video cards generally get better, more people will play this map. I am gradually seeing signs of this, or maybe it's just that word is filtering out.

Similarly, previously I never played with bloom on and this map was released long before Ramm's excellent tute on the matter. So, I had no idea how to adjust the settings. Therefore they (the bloom settings) weren't even looked at.

Finally, the station is based on Gumrak station and is, if anything, toned down from the original, which you can see here:

gumrak%20station.jpg

As a final note, I am pleased that my map is gradually gaining popularity and I am well aware of its shortcomings - (especially how 3 rounds of 30 minute infantry-only play can draaaaaag on).

The time may be approaching for a re-release with proper bloom, an attempt at bot-pathing, slightly more optimisation (inasmuch as a basically flat map will allow) and finally, more detail in the church; anybody who knows about these things can look at this map and say, "Yeah, he ran out of steam by the time he started mapping the third objective."

However, it will be a while yet as I am heavily involved in Carpathian Crosses at the moment, mapping and doing the sounds.

Upvote 0
I like the map but I just wanted to point those things (FPS and bloom) out since they are the biggest problem with the map (well not bloom anymore after my good graphics card decided to die :( ) :D

As for the train station I will try to post a screen shot when I get home but for me it's not that blue colour on your picture but a more flurecent blue :eek: (this might be because of the graphics card I had to downgrade ( :( ) to so don't worry to much about it :D )

But anyway overall I think the map is really nice and you have made a great job on it :)

Upvote 0