• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Gorlitz Beta 2

WOW. I just tried it. In****ingcredible! Congratulations. This will definitley be one of the best urban maps of all time. This is exactly the kind of map I love, HUGE sprawling urban & wartorn. IT'S GOT A RIVER TOO! I like how the objectives cut diagonally through the city & in 2 spots through the river. I'm kinda speechless how awesome this is. Good job.

Upvote 0
What exactly do you mean by the germans were having a tough time? They should be pushed back eventually, were they being steamrolled or something?

Truth.... We just finished another session on our server... 10 per side.. All GOOD players. The Germans never stood a chance. We had three UPC's running ahead of the 2 T34/85's.... the sappers did an excellent job - We followed up behind them in the Tanks and mopped 'em up. Sure, I was Panzerfausted a few times, but in reality... "steamrolled" is putting it mildly. :) The Germans were losing every round.

With the buildings, I will work on this. I think for the next version or the one after that Ill be able to include much more variation, and some more destroyed stuff will be included in that.

Good to hear!! Both the map itself and its concept are excellent. I'd like to see better game play... (balanced) along with damaged buildings to justify the rubble. Thanks for listening. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Truth.... We just finished another session on our server... 10 per side.. All GOOD players. The Germans never stood a chance. We had three UPC's running ahead of the 2 T34/85's.... the sappers did and excellent job - We followed up behind them in the Tanks and mopped 'em up. Sure, I was Panzerfausted a few times, but in reality... "steamrolled" is putting it mildly. :) The Germans were losing every round.

Interesting, I wonder if this will be a pattern. I'm wondering because I was on a server earlier, and while it was still beta one, the Russians were being crushed, having trouble with the first objective. I'll have to play some more online, but if the germans are getting trampled, I have a couple of ideas to balance it out.

---

I'm currently reevaluating the map art, and I think I can, without too much of a problem, improve the look of the architecture and give it enough variation that it will seem more natural and realistic. Also on the art front, I'm going to rethink the street curbs; I think they can be done better in a different way, and one that would also be more representative of the area. What's there, the collision weirdness aside, is too modern looking for the scenario.

Upvote 0
Really a great map! I love the sounds, the background view (again) and all other things of this map (+it's large). Also the places of the objects are very good and realistic. But only one thing, WHY DO THE GERMANS HAVE G41'S????? Those things weren't build a lot at the start of the war and in 1944 everyone has them? Please change this to the G43.

Upvote 0
Is there a reason to have semi autos for the rifleman class? I think a standard role selection would be fine for this map. Something like;

- Unlimited riflemen (bolt actions)
- 2-3 Semi Autos
- 2-3 SMGs
- 1-2 MGs
- 1 Squad Leader

And then the rest would be tankers and sappers where needed. Everyone with a semi auto seems a bit gamey to me.

Upvote 0
Really a great map! I love the sounds, the background view (again) and all other things of this map (+it's large). Also the places of the objects are very good and realistic. But only one thing, WHY DO THE GERMANS HAVE G41'S????? Those things weren't build a lot at the start of the war and in 1944 everyone has them? Please change this to the G43.

G41 production peaked in 1943 at some 90,000+ units. The G43 would be more common at this time, though the G41 would still be present to some extent.

Upvote 0
Is there a reason to have semi autos for the rifleman class? I think a standard role selection would be fine for this map. Something like;

- Unlimited riflemen (bolt actions)
- 2-3 Semi Autos
- 2-3 SMGs
- 1-2 MGs
- 1 Squad Leader

And then the rest would be tankers and sappers where needed. Everyone with a semi auto seems a bit gamey to me.
Yeah the classes and loadouts are a bit whacked out (probably an oversight though maybe intentional) hopefully just an oversight since it's beta. Only other major semi-problem is the performance is kinda bad on my PC. Hopefully it will be optimized more in the future. But aside from those things the map is outstanding.

Upvote 0
Bug: I'll try to describe it best I can. As Russian tank traveling west from the intersection cap point the road turns north and there is a destroyable barricade there. While facing that I backed up in the tank and ended up inside the building.

Neat map. The German defense could really benefit from more enterable buildings. Especially if it was a second floor room where they could hide and snipe or panzerfaust from if the Russians don't slow down to check buildings as they pass. Inside passages from one block to another would open the fight up to multiple streets and flanking options.

Upvote 0
I've been playing the map online all night. It seems like it is going to be REALLY cool. Although every round i played, and I do mean EVERY round, the Russian got hella owned, never getting past the 3rd objective. This was on mostly full servers 28-32 players. I have a few suggestions:

1) For the love of all that is holy, give the Russian commander back his smoke grenades. If ANY map ever called for needing them, its this one with its wide open streets. Taking these away from the commander almost cripples the map, and the decision to remove them seems almost like insanity.

2) Optimize, optimize, optimize. Even on a 7900 GTX SLI rig, the framerate is barealy playable. You should really add distance fog at a very far distance. You could have almost the same view distance you have now, only things very far from the player would automatically be occluded.

Thats all the feedback I have for now. The atmosphere is incredible, and the whole teamwork between infantry and tanks a really great gameplay element.

Cheers,

Upvote 0
An incredible map! There is a very realistic feel to it.

Playing Russian I remember falling through a hole in beta 1 when spawning at C4. With beta 2, dying/respawning sometimes takes place below ground level and for me sometimes very long.

Could some 2nd floor windows be opened?

I also wish for a G43: the G41 takes so long to reload ...

Upvote 0
Even on a 7900 GTX SLI rig, the framerate is barealy playable.

But I thought you were legendary for having a really cruddy rig!!! I thought the brief for all TW staff was, "Optimise, optimise, optimise... and then optimise some more until even Ramm can run it!"

I suppose you have had to upgrade for the next big thing ;)

To FPH - please bring me back my smokoes and please look at reskinning the buildings to introduce more variation in colour - this could be done by making a variety of combiners or something that you can use to 'drop' different colours/shades onto your existing UV skins and simply reskinning some of the meshes.

BTW: Post #1776 ftw - shame it wasn't posted on July 4th...the day The US celebrates getting kicked out of the commonwealth. :p ;):D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Played this twice over the weekend, both as Germans. Average number of players was 8 to 16. Both times the Germans won. I am impressed by the size of the map and in general, the flow of the battle is very good.

Couple of comments:

- The repeatative nature of the buildings is just a bit much. Not bad, but perhaps change the color/shading a bit more on a few of the buildings to break up the pattern. This comment of course is nitpicking on my part.

- I never actually got close to a tank, but are they new engine sounds? In any case, they sounded really good. It added a little anxiety to the game when playing as an infantryman and hearing that.

- For the most part, I got good frame rates, mostly in the green that occasionally dipped into the yellow. (P4 3.0, 2GB RAM, ATI X800 256MB....)

- At the moment, the lighting seems a bit off. I would picture it a bit darker, perhaps overcast, maybe even a bit hazy from smoke from burning buildings....

-------------------------

I definately need to play this one more, with a full server to offer any better comments, not to mention I need to run around on the map a bit more.

Overall, an excellent job! :D

Upvote 0
Great comments, I'm working on implementing them as we speak. The major change I'm looking at is adjusting the soviet spawns and adding a few new ones, with the intention of making the attack progress more. I'm also changing some objectives to lock once captured. For the commander slot, I'm really not a huge fan of the smokies, but maybe they are truly necessary in this map.

I'm rexamining the architecture also. I think I can add a lot more variation without it being too much of a pain. Here is a render from max of some buildings posed, just a couple of hours worth of work. This is just the start and with time, I'll build on these and it should look much better in the end. Note the roofs are all the same because they are one texture in max, and I vary them by individual mesh once in ued.

Regarding performance, I'm seeing what I can do. These new buildings will help, they both look better and cut down on the poly count and the actor count.

Question, with the signs in the map atm, I copped out and just put up blank posters. Any german speaking people out there want to help make a list of location names for me? I'm just looking for basic stuff, hotel, restaurant, etc. Proper names would be cool too, like the '_______ hotel.' Thanks:)

Upvote 0