• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO as a force of good

fireship4

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Anyone think its possible that some kids will be made that little bit nicer/more understanding when taken into the RO community, from the slighly more barren ones of CS for example?

It may even change the way they see other people! (i.e. not people always out to beat you and shout at you after - at the moment here its a bit of a different culture, we have been treated well and treat others the same - not taught to be dog vs. dog. Like the difference between growing up in a hard suburb of london etc. or a nice area). Or do you think our community will lose what it has?

I don't think either of the two options will happen.

People will not grow up because of RO, but might come to like RO because they grew up.
And with a huge amount of players, there will always be a decrease of manners, as the community gets more anonymous. When it stays small, everybody pretty much knows everybody else, so any misbehaviour might be the ruin of ones reputation. With a large community, you will very rarely stumble upon the same people.

I guess it will develop like most online gaming communities: there will be a "rough" public community, hopping servers, etc.
And there will be the community which forms around well established and reputated clans which host well administered servers, where people have only a handfull of such servers they frequent, and where they know pretty much everybody and feel at home.

Upvote 0
BloodyWizard said:
It kinda depresses me...I'm pretty new to all this, and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to find those servers where everyone knows each other just cause I never was a part of the RO community...I guess I'm just out of luck:(

Well, you seem to be part of the RO community NOW, don't you? It might take a while for people to remember your nick and rejoyce (or curse in a friendly way) when you join a server, but it will happen eventually, if your in game communication resembles a little more than internet acronymes containing the letter "f" ;)

Upvote 0
Well, on any game I play a lot...I only play on about 3 or 4 servers max. Thing is, clans are really not a good idea for me considering I'm busting my butt in school right now (high school, just taking some beefy classes). So I suppose I'll look for the good clan servers and hang out there until I get to know people...playing with people that recognize you is a huge reason these games are fun :D

Upvote 0
Nope there are to many bad people preparing to invade the RO community. CS-CSS people are coming for the realism and are just gonna play for points. COD1, UO, 2 people are gonna rape for points and steal tanks/jeeps not caring for others and drive off by themselves, BF2 fans will come and do everything bad you can think of. I remember in another thread, a beta tester said for a whole round a person kept tking everyone and couldn't be kicked. Sadly it begins !

Upvote 0
Some day when Ai becomes so smart that they even outsmart us will multiplayer games decline. Then a company computer called "Skynet" which provides servers will become self aware and take control of all online multiplayer gaming. Only to attempt to take out the multiplayer world.Fortunately Punkbuster was removed, we kicked all there butts with a nice aimbot...gg.:D

Upvote 0
thats what admins are there for , hopefully many servers will be admined & share the ban list to keep this behaviour down , of course its unavoidable that from time to time you come across a foul mouthed 14 yr old , who is in his 16th can of cola , showing off at a sleepover & is spewing his form of tuffguy gangster talk/harassment while teamkilling spawnkilling or something else annoying , when this happens just ignore it , sooner or later there wont be any servers they are not banned from , or just everyone leave when he joins , ....if a tker joins & everyone leaves then his fun is over ,...for the most part RO players have been older or more mature & display the ability to play nice together with good sportsmanship , so we will just have to let those know what is & is not acceptible behaviour ,..ps that reminds me , isnt there some new unfair worldpolice patriot act type law about "internet harassment?
either way with enough complaints i think most isps would drop someone causing them a headache...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Stryker said:
Nope there are to many bad people preparing to invade the RO community. CS-CSS people are coming for the realism and are just gonna play for points. COD1, UO, 2 people are gonna rape for points and steal tanks/jeeps not caring for others and drive off by themselves, BF2 fans will come and do everything bad you can think of. I remember in another thread, a beta tester said for a whole round a person kept tking everyone and couldn't be kicked. Sadly it begins !

I hope that tker dies. Wasting a good beta key that I could of had.

Upvote 0
Stryker said:

This is exactly how I'm looking at the RO release right now. Of course, I'm hoping that it won't turn out as bad as that, but it's very likely that it will. I mean, just judging from this forum, how many CS/DOD/etc. folks are seeing RO on the Steam News page and just getting it without knowing all the facts (namely, that it's supposed to be realistic, not a Hollywood production). Whenever I play a few maps of CS, I always ask people if they're getting RO. While many people are getting it, they all seem to have the mindset that it'll be "COD/DOD in Russia", rather than something like "OFP in WWII East Front".

Upvote 0
Carazor said:
This is exactly how I'm looking at the RO release right now. Of course, I'm hoping that it won't turn out as bad as that, but it's very likely that it will. I mean, just judging from this forum, how many CS/DOD/etc. folks are seeing RO on the Steam News page and just getting it without knowing all the facts (namely, that it's supposed to be realistic, not a Hollywood production). Whenever I play a few maps of CS, I always ask people if they're getting RO. While many people are getting it, they all seem to have the mindset that it'll be "COD/DOD in Russia", rather than something like "OFP in WWII East Front".

As with the mod, I guess these people won't stay long, so after a month, the community will propably dwindle a little, but be nicer again ;)

Upvote 0
As beeing a former BF1942 player and now a BF2 player I've seen the result of a rapidly increased community when a new gaming plattform arrives. The more successful a game is, the more loonies is released on the servers and forums. Serious and mature player often find "their own" forums and public servers, when all other are filled to the rim with "lol omfg haxx0r" and so on. I've seen it happen and expect nothing less of the new RO community, beeing a part of it myself for a relatively very limited time. For developers a growing community is good = $$$. For the community itself it dosen't have to be, it's what the community demands of it members that makes it what they want it to be.

Upvote 0