• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rising Storm, Windows 10

From what I understand, WinX is mostly about apps (gimmicks), touch screen capabilities, porting Xbox games, interconnecting devices (dumb down the PC) and a blurb on the latest DirectX which no-one has software to exploit.

Sry MS, I like to keep my PC lean to run only the software I want to run. I don't even like rubbing my fingers all over my phone, and would prefer to keep my files, info and actions private. Do I really need a weather.com app if I have internet? Seriously, X is for lazzorz who don't believe in spoons and want to pretend to be Tony Stark.

:rolleyes:

Is there any way this superfluous crap can be scaled back by eliminating chunks of it?

Upvote 0
prise

Is there any way this superfluous crap can be scaled back by eliminating chunks of it?

Since most of 10's features are integrated into the GUI, I'd say "NO". As a result the OS is going to eat ~4GB of RAM with it's bloatware, plus undisclosed concurrent CPU usage. The smaller border for "windows" is about the only redeeming factor I can see ATM.

10 is still basically NT at it's core, which was a wonderful barebones OS. Be nice if there was a stripped down version of 10 for enterprise use, for those who use PCs for productivity, not social media. MS could call it Delta, which is Greek acrophonic number for 10 when capitalized in the familiar triangle (actually "Deka" pronounced THEK-ah), which in coincidence symbolically means "Change". I wouldn't call it "iota" for obvious reasons :)

Upvote 0
Hey, im too on windows 10 i just fresh installed ro2, never did before. i noticed a lot of issues there. dont know if this is a part of windows 10 but with my settings (gtx 970, i5 4690, 8go ram) my fps running pretty low with all settings turned on ultra. i'm around 30-40 fps on rising storm map and 50-70 ro2 map. whatever that low fps, i've noticed too have some stuttering while i sprint .. i decided to turn all low graphic with no AA and what suprise i get same fps as high settings why ? and still with stuttering .. for example on battlefield 4 with all settings ultra + MSAA x4 i'm around 80-130 fps. someone know how fix it ?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

As always, I have a few pleas to Microsoft regarding ANY OS. Leave the silly "touchy-pokey" stuff for smartphones. And for Ghod's sake join the rest of world humanity and consider making this "Rube Goldberg" monstrosity SCALEABLE. Fine! Bill me full price, but make this thing modular. More useless gargoyles than Notre Dame.

Upvote 0
I've had to deal with Windows 8's. Never touching a 8 or windows 10 again. The 7's software has never failed me.

Yeah, after I got my new computer I had windows 8 on it, I was ready to smash the damn thing with a sledgehammer, especially with the fact that it didn't have a touchscreen, who's genius idea was it to do that? Leave it to the phones, make a new version of windows 7, and I'd be interested. Otherwise I'm sticking to windows 7. Windows 8 lasted me about a week, and a lot of restraint to not throw my computer out the window or purchase explosives. I then bought a copy of windows 7-64 bit pro. Really glad I did or I'd have ended up having no computer right now. That operating system drove me nuts.

Upvote 0
:D

Well, I finally bit the bullet and decided to upgrade to 10. I figured I had better learn all about this beast before I have to upgrade my wife's computer.

The bad news:

I went through a 72 hour struggle during which I fought with configuration issues, system file management, and customization issues, where in some cases, third party utilities had to be brought into play. There were steam applications failure, Punkbuster issues, and general incorrigible behavior.

The good news:

I won. The Desktop now looks just like it did in Win 7 and all critical apps are running just fine. In this version, Microsoft has all but cut you off from font and color customization features. So I had to use a gadget called Winaero Tweaker. This resolved most appearance problems. But I practically lived in a Win 10 forum for a couple of days. I have not noticed any performance problems at all. There were a couple of blurry game text behaviors which I sought solutions for and corrected. It's a shame Microsoft puts users through this non-sense, but the good news is that you can get Win 10 to look and behave pretty much like Win 7.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm a Windows server admin. I tried Windows 8.1 at work on my new desktop last year but a couple of things made me hate it and I switched back to 7. When Windows 10 was released I intended to do a clean install on my home pc but ultimately was too lazy to do that.

Then a couple of weeks ago, I was in a kind of risky mood and said f**k it, I'm upgrading to 10 now and hit the button. The upgrade took 1 hour and I have had zero problems to date. I'm very impressed by this. I have yet to see a major OS upgrade that went as smoothly.

On the "spying" matter I'm like: WTF? I don't care. People use Google, Apple, Android, Facebook, pay everything with their credit/debit cards, shop at amazon, use loyalty programs. All of these collect, match and sometimes share your data. Our governments collect data. So I don't understand what the fuss is all about.

Upvote 0
On the "spying" matter I'm like: WTF? I don't care. People use Google, Apple, Android, Facebook, pay everything with their credit/debit cards, shop at amazon, use loyalty programs. All of these collect, match and sometimes share your data. Our governments collect data. So I don't understand what the fuss is all about.

I feel you there but I'd understand why people would care. I never had any real issues upgrading to Windows 10. Windows 8 was a pain though. The only major issue was the Nvidia drivers not installing like it should but that was somewhat easily resolved with a bit of tinkering.

Upvote 0
:confused:

I've begun experiencing a heck of a time with Nvidia drivers and software with Win 10. I can get the drivers to stick with a manual update, but I can't get the nvidia control panel to function to save my life. It looks like a chronic O/S issue but so far I've not derived much useful info out of microsoft or Nvidia to resolve this. Would it help to blow Nvidia stuff out of the registry and start from scratch?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:cool:

Shortly after the upgrade, I attempted to upgrade the Nvidia driver. Any attempt to run the driver .exe resulted in a "data not valid" error, or some such. Didn't matter what driver version either. I did some research and found out the problem was wrapped up in the way in which win 10 performs automatic updates. Apparently critical driver data was being over-written in some fashion. Anyway, I acquired the recommended Nvidia driver removal tool. It essentially clears out all driver data, even in the registry and executes a measure that prevents win 10 update from meddling with with video driver software afterward. At that point it was possible to do a clean driver install and all my Nvidia control panel tools came back again. The problem will probably be resolved with a patch shortly, if it hasn't been already.

Upvote 0