• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rising Storm preview on PC Gamer

Yeah - I would wholeheartedly agree nearly all of with Justyn's post there.. except I don't remember much injection going on; perhaps I just didn't get invited to those kind of parties ;) :D

The process of developing ideas actually goes back further than the year pre-TW picking it up which Justyn mentions. I think he is talking about when he joined the team, which was certainly a very good day for the growth of the project, so I won't quibble (much).:)

Upvote 0
I guess the game will show us if players will fall for it.

I know when I hear the "ping" I go looking for the source.

As to what Justyn said about teamwork. This group of people from TW, to the RS devs and to the great team of testers we have, we all work as close together as we can because we want you all to get a quality product.

I have been on other alpha/beta test teams and this group is right up there with great work ethics, friendly to all (even the new testers who have all sorts of questions just like what a lot of you ask) and they work all hours to create what I can honestly say is a pretty awesome mod.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the interesting answers so far. :)

AFIK the idea of mortars goes back a bit in ro-modding history. I think carpatian crosses got them down first. ( i cant remember if some of you where involved tho, i think you where :D )

Having them mobile, how will you teach the players how to use it ? Plus, given the idea of enemys spawning behind your lines in bunkers, i was wondering how much RO2 map design could benefit from that. Given that we still dont have a real "rattenkrieg" kind of map that reflects the aspect of the uncertainties of urban warfare.

As example...Zabs house. The ro1 map

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think being able to hear it is fine, not sure how I feel about using it as a trick as most sources I've read have kinda debunked that. It seems like it was maybe done in a very small number of circumstances which have blown into a common acceptance but then again we have things like the dual mag mp40 and Mkb42 in RO2 so there's that.

I like that knee mortars are in, a well coordinated mortar team in DH can be devastating to the enemy team, and if you're on the other end of the barrage it's pretty scary.

Also cool to see a night map, I was just thinking about that while watching the Pacific last night. Will be interesting to see how it runs with the lighting and all.

Annnd I just now envisioned myself yelling 'PING' over public voice channel while playing US...the deception goes deeper...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never liked the whole 'spawn with enemy weapons' thing. People have argued on servers they could be captured...well isn't that the point of being able to drop your weapon and pick up a dead enemy's? Kinda defeats that functionality and is a bit silly I think.

I totally agree. And I can't believe this is a reward and spawning with the enemy weapon is default. It is as if the devs just assumed "yeah everyone will want to fight with the enemy's weapon. Lets make it the default."

Fight with the enemy's weapon = get shot in the back by your mate.

Upvote 0
I totally agree. And I can't believe this is a reward and spawning with the enemy weapon is default. It is as if the devs just assumed "yeah everyone will want to fight with the enemy's weapon. Lets make it the default."

Fight with the enemy's weapon = get shot in the back by your mate.

More realistically,

Fight with the enemy's weapon = run out of ammunition, parts, and magazines + risk death or injury if one forgets or does not know how to properly operate the weapon.

Given that we have at least two maps where the Americans are confirmed to be landing on the island right at map start, it makes absolutely no sense for them to spawn with Japanese weapons. What did they do, get special permission from their CO to cart around an old Arisaka they picked up on Guadalcanal?

Upvote 0
I never liked the whole 'spawn with enemy weapons' thing. People have argued on servers they could be captured...well isn't that the point of being able to drop your weapon and pick up a dead enemy's? Kinda defeats that functionality and is a bit silly I think.

I agree, when I play RO2 and I hear a enemy weapon near me I don't care most of the time because the chance of it being just another ally who spawned with a enemy weapon is way to high.

I personally think this should be completley removed or just a server side option, but not a default one. The whole point of balancing this would be useless when every experienced japanese player spawn with a M1 Garand, but I actually doubt they gonna let everyone spawn with a enemy weapon,

why give the japanese all those "features" to balance the faction when every japanese could spawn with a enemy weapon?

Other then that I am really looking forward to Rising Storm and hope you guys will have a lot of success with it.

Upvote 0