• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rising Storm first impressions

I'll write my first impressions as well.
First of wall: The game is great! The maps, the polish, the two sides, the new mechanics, the sound. Everything looks and plays great!
I love the flamethrower, even though I haven't used one yet. The visuals are fantastic. Seeing the flames from across the map hit a bunker is awesome! A lot of people playing as Japanese rage and whine about the flamethrower. While playing as axis I don't think it's overpowered at all. It just feels like a special Allies weapon, it's limited in numbers and won't survive long without proper support from the team.

Next goes the banzai charge. Holy ****. This is one fantastic feature with almost perfect implementation! Thank god you guys didn't add some kind of limitations to it, like a cooldown timer. The voice acting and the general atmosphere when you charge is just awesome!
I said the implementation is almost perfect, because there is one thing, which I think can be improved: When you charge towards an enemy and you release the button to hit, your character stops and it takes another 2 seconds to get back in motion. I find myself stopping too early and missing the first hit, and staying there for 2 seconds, watching as the enemy has time to reload and shoot me point-blank. Same thing happens when you banzai charge into a room full of enemies. You kill the first one instantly, but then you stay there watching the other two guys a meter away taking shots at you while you can't move at all.

Next on the list is the knee-mortar. Cool and useful weapon. Also lot's of people complain about it, lot's of suggestions to reduce the blast radius. What I'd do is remove the visual trajectory guide from realism/classic servers (at least make it optional with defaults set to Off). This way it could still be useful, but you'll really have to master it to be effective.

Overall the game feels balanced and polished. I didn't get the feeling that "It'd be great if they add this feature and that feature". It feels complete. The only thing that it will never have enough is maps. It needs lots of maps. It doesn't need tanks or anything of that sort. Just maps. New maps will keep it fresh for years.

Upvote 0
I agree with you about the flamethrower. Being a Japanese player myself, I don't view the flamethrower as OP. It is a good fear-monger, and I ALWAYS love fear-mongers in my video games. I generally don't like games when there isn't something to make you think "Ok, let's get the **** OUTTA HERE!"

Without fear-mongers, the game would be too CoD (And the flame thrower in CoD is not that great). With the flamethrower around, I always buddy up with someone, either to help flank, or just to watch him burn so that I don't get burnt (inhuman on my part). The flamethrower is not OP, and if it is, it SHOULD be OP.

American players whine about Banzai charges being OP, and Japanese players whine about flamethrowers being OP. Just let them be, whiners. They're supposed to be uber powerful so that teamwork is promoted. You can easily stop the two with teamwork. Have a sniper or MG cover you when you scout a flamethrower, and have a B.A.R or MG cover you when you are watching out for Banzai charges. Anything that prevents lone-wolf gameplay and promotes teamwork should stay the way it is. Only nerf when even teamwork cannot beat it.

Upvote 0
17 hours in RS and I am amazed. Fantastic job RS team.

A few things are bugging me though.

-if you switch weapons quickly you sometimes end up not seeing the weapon textures but this happens in RO2 as well

-Banzai charging soldiers take too much damage imho

-The BAR aiming is buggy at times where it sways all over the place

-too many light mortars for Japanese and they are too well equipped (Bolt rifle, pistol, grenades and mortar make the package too complete though that might just be the realism settings and I prefer Classic anyway

-too many SMG's on Japanese side (again might be a "realism" setting)

-SL spawning ruins gameplay especially on Iwo Jima and Saipan as the spawn protection is far back and one SL can spawn his entire squad behind enemy lines and if used properly disrupts any advance of the enemy. I always hear the argument the SL is supposed to lead the assault but all you do is stay back, hide and play fairy spawnmother.

-the garand is often silent when being shot (even on 128 channels audio)

-3rd person view is nice but very unrealistic as it allows you to spot around corners or out of a ditch without exposing yourself

-there is a point on a map where if you climb down into the wooden bunker to resupply you can't exit anymore and on Saipan I think there is a 20 cm high wall which cannot be passed like the broken fence on Station in RO2 (very annoying)

-The map Pelelian has a floating bush

-knee mortars are a bit too easy to use and too accurate. I found myself wrapping up lots of kills with the mortar firing directly and indirectly. As someone pointed out: if you use the map and the tactical view to see the target distance and are near a resupply spot you can spam mortars all day.

I know this sounds a bit negative but rest assured the game is great and these are just some small bugs and minor gameplay issues that I found on my part.

Upvote 0
Operating MG on the offensive is not good - by the end of the second map (played four rounds total) I had enough of Mr. "I CAN'T DEPLOY HERE!" and when I could deploy (often over an hill on Iwo Jima) I think my guy was rising a lot more than I was expecting (difference between deploying and proning felt significant) so I was exposing myself to enemy shooters.

It's fun weapon once you find good spot where you can set it up, but I have to say that finding such spot is perilous journey and I won't be suprised if people take any other class of MG after they realize how painful it is to deploy this particular weapon. It supraises me, because I never had such problems as MG in RO2. I literally had to fight the game playing as MG for the attacking side. Why nobody is mentioning this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

Upvote 0
Operating MG on the offensive is not good - by the end of the second map (played four rounds total) I had enough of Mr. "I CAN'T DEPLOY HERE!" and when I could deploy (often over an hill on Iwo Jima) I think my guy was rising a lot more than I was expecting (difference between deploying and proning felt significant) so I was exposing myself to enemy shooters.

It's fun weapon once you find good spot where you can set it up, but I have to say that finding such spot is perilous journey and I won't be suprised if people take any other class of MG after they realize how painful it is to deploy this particular weapon. It supraises me, because I never had such problems as MG in RO2. I literally had to fight the game playing as MG for the attacking side. Why nobody is mentioning this problem? Am I doing something wrong?
I agree MGs on offense are very difficult to use. In that position, you probably looked like this. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144384516

Upvote 0
I agree with you about the flamethrower. Being a Japanese player myself, I don't view the flamethrower as OP. It is a good fear-monger, and I ALWAYS love fear-mongers in my video games. I generally don't like games when there isn't something to make you think "Ok, let's get the **** OUTTA HERE!"

Without fear-mongers, the game would be too CoD (And the flame thrower in CoD is not that great). With the flamethrower around, I always buddy up with someone, either to help flank, or just to watch him burn so that I don't get burnt (inhuman on my part). The flamethrower is not OP, and if it is, it SHOULD be OP.

+1

When I'm playing japanese on IWO and we are down to defending that last bunker ...and I start seeing flames licking around corners and walls while hearing soldiers in the next room burning alive I start panicking :)

It really is an oh @#$% moment

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Something I tested, because of my curiosity.

You can blow up friendly grenade traps and kill yourself, the message telling you to "forgive or bla bla bla" still pops up, so I presume the player who "teamkilled" you is still punished. Perhaps, that shouldn't be possible, to deter griefers of doing it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0