• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Regarding my comment in the Creep Train thread.

Subgenres are great. Sometimes there's a big difference between xxxx yyyy and regular yyyy

they come in handy when you have very particular tastes in music. like for example, i hate the heavy metal hair band stuff, which is why i dont say i listen to, "heavy metal" when im asked. i say black metal because thats what kind of heavy metal im into. subgenres make things alot easier, and makes communication way easier.

Upvote 0
black metal is not really very specific though, maybe it was 20 years ago but it is a real fleshed out subgenre which is really different from any other metal genre.

i find it actually hard to pick a metal subgenre which is not fairly clear that is different. Maybe nsbm counts but i havent really listened to any. All other subgenres and even subsubgenres are fairly distinct. I mean the difference between say obituary and necrophagist is easy to hear.

Upvote 0
black metal is not really very specific though, maybe it was 20 years ago but it is a real fleshed out subgenre which is really different from any other metal genre.

i find it actually hard to pick a metal subgenre which is not fairly clear that is different. Maybe nsbm counts but i havent really listened to any. All other subgenres and even subsubgenres are fairly distinct. I mean the difference between say obituary and necrophagist is easy to hear.

black metal is very specific. yes there are some more experimental bands, but its always a clear distinction between it and death, doom, thrash, speed, etc.

Upvote 0
black metal is very specific. yes there are some more experimental bands, but its always a clear distinction between it and death, doom, thrash, speed, etc.

Yes the difference between black and death is clear and big, however the difference between black metal bands themselves also can be rather clear. For example the difference between a band like wolves in the throne room and darkthrone.

Upvote 0
Norwegian Black Metal = sellout crap that made Black Metal look like a joke.

"What do you listen to?"

"Black Metal sometimes"

"Oh, Dimmu Borgir? lolololol"

Dimmu Borgir is actually pretty good for NBM.

I would have said that NBM isn't anywhere close to sellout crap. And as a wise man once said, POPULARITY =/= SELLOUT.

Though, have you heard of Riul Doamnei? They sound like a combo of Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth. Though less mainstream because i had to be introduced to them, rather than see them out in the open.

Upvote 0