• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Regarding Map Design (visually) in Rising Storm

Bane5

Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2012
Part 3: Map Visuals and Aesthetics
---------

This thread is about map design regarding how it looks aesthetically.

For the most part, Red Orchestra 2 nails that look and feel of a city at war aesthetically. Ruins are everywhere in Stalingrad. Fallen Fighter's open terrain is brutal, unforgiving, just like the harsh Russian Winter. On Spartanovka, the rigidly planned housing blocks attribute to the ruthless monotony of centralized planning within Communist Russia. Poetry aside, the map design in RO2 makes you feel like you are in Stalingrad. You aren't just in an FPS arena but an actual drab Soviet factory, city block, or apartment complex.

The map layout isn't placed with obviously convenient cover at every turn. Sometimes streets are wide open as they SHOULD be. No seemingly convenient random cars or barrels obviously placed with intention to be used as cover. The environment was already here and you just happen to be caught up in a fight here. Its this magic feeling that RO2 managed to capture. read up on review from PC gamer for RO2. They mention this.

Rising Storm took an opposite direction. The placement of everything seems intentional, cluttered, to give cover around every turn and inch. In fact on most maps there is a distinct lack of long range shooting compared to RO2.

Indeed most RS maps seem just random. Huts are everywhere. Straw huts. Everywhere! Placed without rhyme or reason. They are just everywhere.

Take a look at some screenshots. Are these really convincing?

Spoiler!

Also there is an uncanny fondness for perfectly cylindrical logs neatly placed everywhere as well.

Spoiler!

All these arbitrarily placed huts, all these clean-cut fortifications everywhere and perfect logs, repetitive elements, all this uniformly distributed cover makes the environment feel fake and not real.

Now look at Red Orchestra 2 in contrast:

Spoiler!

Rising Storm needs to get away from trying to uniformly distribute points of interest and cover everywhere. I like the urban environment showcased in the new trailer; however, all of the other environments shown have me disappointed that its more of the same old in RS1 with its glaring flaws.

Take a look at the new trailer 30 seconds in. We have a another smattering of random huts surrounded by jungle. Nothing else. We go from cluttered jungle to cluttered huts back to cluttered jungle on the other side. Nothing else. The soldiers happen to cross another perfect log bridge which looks out of place and way too neat.

Take a look at a picture of an actual Vietnamese village:
village-Thai_051_xlarge.jpg

What you will notice is that most villages tend to be surrounded by a bit of farmland. Even if jungle is nearby, at least some space is clear-cut for crops or livestock grazing. I don't think the RS developers have successfully managed to capture an authentic look for these tiny villages they always create.

In that environment they showcased, the jungle needs to be cleared at least on one side for 50 or so meters. Let the open fields have almost no cover so some long distance firefights develop. Let other approaches be jungle to advance in. Some variation is needed. Get rid of the odd log bridge platforms and barricades that are overused on most maps. Replace it with a more believable dirt road like this:

laos_village_children.jpg

As of now it seems all the maps in RS1 have been designed with uniform clutter everywhere. It needs to be less even. Changes like these would go a long away and provide gameplay variation in the process.

Anyone agree with me?

Previously: Part 2: Voice Acting Improvements

Last edited:
Personally I think kobura in RS is one of their best map designs. Well whoever made that map. Plays great and looks great.
We fully agree. Which is why we hired him and he's one of the level designers on RS2. :)

Regarding the jungle map seen in the trailer, that is not a village, it's a small VC camp hidden in the jungle, hence the way it's hemmed in by trees and lacks much in the way of proper paths/roads. Other maps have actual villages with rice paddies and open fields.

Also, I never noticed that the Russian localisation for the team names was never updated for RS. Probably because I'm not Russian. Whoops. :/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I think kobura in RS is one of their best map designs. Well whoever made that map. Plays great and looks great.

Kobura may have had a good design, but my friends and I always groaned when people chose it on Campaign mode. Sometimes, we wanted quick victories and Kobura was always long and drawn out.

Perhaps there can be goals for teams to achieve and it would cut the map short if you achieve those goals. For instance on Kobura, if you are able to take C as attackers with only 50 casualties, then you just win the map. Or it can be more complex and possibly fun than that, like blowing up weapon caches and depots while taking less casualties. Maybe, the defending side can even reduce the timer on the map by destroying attacker supply lines (shooting down incoming helicopters with supplies?) or radios.

I'm trying to get away from the thought of "short maps" vs "long maps". Some people hated hanto for being too short with a team who knew what they were doing, while others loved it for campaign mode. Kobura suffered from the same thing, being very long no matter how good your team was.

Upvote 0
Map making can be pretty hard for attack/defend games since you gotta figure out how to make a layout that doesn't lean so far in favor of one side. if your really good at map making you can make maps that are easy to get in the beginning for attackers then gradually get harder and the areas lean in favor of the defenders.

But yeah, I can understand you wanting environments to feel less square. Im sure we will get some cool map mods for the game to maybe experiment with stuff.

Upvote 0
Something I like about RO2 maps is how the capzones are very close together.

On medium-sized maps like Spartanovka, Barracks, Pavlov's House, etc the capzones are literally 1 street away, yet there is still a lot of room to flank and maneuver around. When an objective is captured on these maps, the fight continues on. It doesn't stop and it helps with that feeling of a persistent large-scale firefight. Contrast this with Hanto where the capzone moves back 300 meters almost. The next area of conflict is completely disconnected with the previous.

Of course to make the formula better. Close capzones but with more open to capture/recapture at a time would be good to encourage more maneuvering. Rising Storm seemed to shy away from recapturing objectives. Maps that encourage the defense to be aggressive sometimes are good.

Spartanovka in particular has a lot going for it. The defending team can often launch successful counter-attacks especially on the church. The attackers can use the open left side ditch to outflank. Both sides need to be controlled and teams need to manage their right and left side offense/defense well. Finally it ends with a hard to take Town Hall which but it feels very rewarding when you manage to capture it. Despite being a difficult map to attack, people like voting for it in the campaign a lot. Even on relatively open maps like bridges of Druzhina, once an objective is capped, the attacking team is immediately taking heavy fire from the next.

Recapturable objectives and close-together objectives go hand in hand. Ever been in a melee bayonet brawl on the church in spartanovka? Once the German's manage to take it, they still face a hail of grenades and more bayonet fighting as they try to hold onto their precarious situation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kobura may have had a good design, but my friends and I always groaned when people chose it on Campaign mode. Sometimes, we wanted quick victories and Kobura was always long and drawn out.

Perhaps there can be goals for teams to achieve and it would cut the map short if you achieve those goals. For instance on Kobura, if you are able to take C as attackers with only 50 casualties, then you just win the map. Or it can be more complex and possibly fun than that, like blowing up weapon caches and depots while taking less casualties. Maybe, the defending side can even reduce the timer on the map by destroying attacker supply lines (shooting down incoming helicopters with supplies?) or radios.

I'm trying to get away from the thought of "short maps" vs "long maps". Some people hated hanto for being too short with a team who knew what they were doing, while others loved it for campaign mode. Kobura suffered from the same thing, being very long no matter how good your team was.

You c. Actually win kobura with 30 minutes left on the clock lol.

Map length isn't really something people complain about.

Upvote 0
You c. Actually win kobura with 30 minutes left on the clock lol.

Map length isn't really something people complain about.

Map length is an issue for me, my friends, and many others that I play with on campaign servers. The length of the map plays into your overall campaign strategy. If your team is good at winning maps, but not efficient with KDR (reinforcement attrition), you want a short map so you can blitz to the end without taking too many losses to reinforcements. Since most of my public teams have fit into this category (lemmings), my friends and I always discourage kobura and maps that come close to being as long.

Upvote 0
Map length is an issue for me, my friends, and many others that I play with on campaign servers. The length of the map plays into your overall campaign strategy. If your team is good at winning maps, but not efficient with KDR (reinforcement attrition), you want a short map so you can blitz to the end without taking too many losses to reinforcements. Since most of my public teams have fit into this category (lemmings), my friends and I always discourage kobura and maps that come close to being as long.

It's by percentage of tickets lost not amount of tickets lost. Map length doesn't matter in campaign. Attrition rate matters. How fast your men are dying not how many men died. Losing all your men on apartments will have the same punishment of losing all your men on bridges. If anything it's easier to have all your men killed on a smaller map than on a longer map. On the longer maps tickets are often more than they should be giving the attackers an advantage anyway. Banzai is literally balanced due to the fact most people are too scared to take part lol.

Kobura is also one of those maps you can blitz through. And I mean properly blitz though. Losing a tiny fraction of yor tickets making it the most economical map for attackers in the campaign lol. If your team managed to blitz it which I have witnessed a couple of times. Banzai is OP if your team had the balls for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's by percentage of tickets lost not amount of tickets lost. Map length doesn't matter in campaign. Attrition rate matters. How fast your men are dying not how many men died. Losing all your men on apartments will have the same punishment of losing all your men on bridges. If anything it's easier to have all your men killed on a smaller map than on a longer map. On the longer maps tickets are often more than they should be giving the attackers an advantage anyway. Banzai is literally balanced due to the fact most people are too scared to take part lol.

I know percentage of tickets is what matters. My example was that some teams are more efficient at winning maps fast while steadily declining efficiency as time goes on and taking casualties, so they should go for the shortest map possible. A team with a higher attrition rate will do fine in Hanto since it is the easiest to blitz without banzai (1 wave for A and B, 1 wave for C and flank for D). You can't use the same tactics in Kobura with a team that is bad over time since there are more points of failure. If your team is steamrolling it doesn't matter, but I'm speaking of teams that can win maps fast, but not slow maps, having more tickets, which I've seen often enough.

I think a more prevalent issue are the teams that are much more efficient at killing than winning maps. Too often I'm on a team that won't push forward or stay on the objective to win any maps, so we choose to 100% defend and whittle down the attackers reinforcements over and over. It is effective and we win campaigns a lot, but it is a boring tactic and shouldn't reap so many rewards.

Upvote 0
Well that's only if Hanto and kobura are in the same territory. Which is entirely dependant on what server you are on.

Or if you aren't playing campaign and are just playing standard TE kobura has a far larger swag factor. Simply more fun to play.

That's fair. The scenario I mentioned only applies to campaigns with choices of short and long maps on the same area, and doesn't apply at all when the server is not campaign. The disparity probably points more to campaign mechanics than the maps themselves.

Upvote 0