• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red orchestra in the future...

Well i have played RO for almost 20 months and maybe some might disagree i have contributed the community. But quit playing RO for several reasons. Ooh and i'm not a kiddo.....

One of the reasons is the attitude in posts like yours Egg. This attitude is very common here and i'm almost convinced it's the same reason that many players doesn't even visit the board.
This "Pure" Playerbase thing sounds a tad to elite.......

Seems my use of the word PURE has gone totaly wrong....What I meant by it was that those who enjoy the game will continue to play and those who don't have left or are leaving. That was all I meant. So we are left with a pure player base of those who enjoy the game...plain and simlpe, nothing elite or exclusive.

Upvote 0
M8 re-read what i said, i said [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"Western Front and have passed even RO in realism and quality." m8 a mod can be better then the orginal by having more skilled devs that can make better quality work and are more skilled in their are of work. I have been in mod teams before so its not like i dont know what iam talking about. Nuclear Dawn has extremely good devs helping that are making the quality in the way of graphics details better.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=-1][FONT=arial,sans-serif]Real devs have always said that mod teams are better as they are more free to do things rather then be hold back by retail constraints.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Hmm, the big 'I am' - the sort of thing that puts me right off anything you care to mention..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont understand this argument about which theatre of war is more popular or why..?

Never forget what got you playing RO in the first place. The whole realism thing and seeing weapons accuratley portrayed!

For some, playing as a ruskie was a novel idea. But the game rocked anyway and became a full retail product! So people might be sick of a certain arena or want to see more of it! I personally would not want to play a game thats limited to the Western Front for example, cos that has been done to death!

I will definitly play DH, but would you really want to be part of a community that only played DH? :confused:

Upvote 0
i wouldn't say any mod is better than RO because we are using a lot of what TWI did as a base. I just hope we can put something out there most people will enjoy. If people don't want to play the western front DH or North Africa MN they its simple don't play them when they release.

Thanks Aeneas for resuming braggard-free sevice.

And yes D3, it seems the Eastern front setting plays a secondary role to the gameplay ethic for the majority here - and many express a desire for a new enviroment. But there are some who still have a lot of enthusiam for RO's, and for whom the scenario is a very much a major factor in that.
Whilst they may welcome the mods and wish them success, they could be forgiven for being upset if they suspect that may come as the deathstroke to the already waining stock game.
It's not personal issue against the mods, just a continuing love for the game.

Upvote 0
I am looking forward to playing all three(CC,MN,DH) mods when they are released.I am equally excited about them all.but thats just me,because I love ww2 history(The common things,and the obscure).
some of us are more than gamers,we are history buffs and this is just another exciting extension of our beloved hobby.
I don't think that it is wise to say things like " Who would want to play a Romanian?"(CC) I know that I would,because it is a part of ww2 that is rarely touched on.and for that matter,The Americans vs. the germans seems to be one of the most popular gametype.Thats why there are so many "Normandy" games,because people buy them.
I don't think there is a place here for any "My mod is better than yours" attitudes.when these mods are released,ALL of the RO players out there are gonna have to decide for themselves what they like and dislike.Of course,some people are gonna gravitate towards certain themes that they themselves find appealing.
After the initial "newness" of the mods,I think things will gradually calm down,and people will just play whichever ones they choose to play.
some people will probably just play DH,some MN etc.etc.

I am just wondering if my clan is going to go in 3 different directions,or be able to stay together when some want to play DH,others MN,etc,etc.

Upvote 0
I am looking forward to playing all three(CC,MN,DH) mods when they are released.I am equally excited about them all.but thats just me,because I love ww2 history(The common things,and the obscure).
some of us are more than gamers,we are history buffs and this is just another exciting extension of our beloved hobby.
I don't think that it is wise to say things like " Who would want to play a Romanian?"(CC) I know that I would,because it is a part of ww2 that is rarely touched on.and for that matter,The Americans vs. the germans seems to be one of the most popular gametype.Thats why there are so many "Normandy" games,because people buy them.
I don't think there is a place here for any "My mod is better than yours" attitudes.when these mods are released,ALL of the RO players out there are gonna have to decide for themselves what they like and dislike.Of course,some people are gonna gravitate towards certain themes that they themselves find appealing.
After the initial "newness" of the mods,I think things will gradually calm down,and people will just play whichever ones they choose to play.
some people will probably just play DH,some MN etc.etc.

I am just wondering if my clan is going to go in 3 different directions,or be able to stay together when some want to play DH,others MN,etc,etc.

Once again morbius provides a great post here (although i'll point out that DH and MN are both adding brits as well as US, South Africans, Aussies etc). The point is at least from my POV i have equal respect for both the original RO and the mods teams. It is not my intention to kill off RO and in reality i would love to add to it. Like i said only time will tell exactly what form the mod releases will be in but i can garauntee all the devs on the mod teams i work on love RO and want to see flourish not die. Also thanks dogbadger.

On a personal note a lot of people seem to think DH is showing a lot of media and that this for some reason is a bad thing. All i ever wanted to do was share with you guys what we're getting in game and for those seeking to help there is always room to beta test. If i'm doing the wrong thing however by releasing media please let me know and i'll stop.

Upvote 0
On a personal note a lot of people seem to think DH is showing a lot of media and that this for some reason is a bad thing. All i ever wanted to do was share with you guys what we're getting in game and for those seeking to help there is always room to beta test. If i'm doing the wrong thing however by releasing media please let me know and i'll stop.

No please dont:eek: i love seeing all the new media plus you cant deny it keeps people interested.

Upvote 0
Thanks,Aeneas,You know, I have been through all this before.Not in the gaming community,but in the WW2 Reenactment community.I joined a unit thats primary impression was German,An SS unit,they also had a secondary Russian impression as well.

But then they decided that they wanted to do American 82nd Airborne,and some of us started doing an Italian Bersagliari Impression too.Before our unit knew what hit us,we had too many guys doing too many things to keep the unit together.eventually everyone went their separate ways,and our unit disbanded.(I didn't help the situation when I showed up at a battle once as a 13th SS handschar(a muslim croation )complete with a fez,instead of a helmet! it was good for a few laughs though.

My point is,too many choices sometimes can ruin a good thing.
I am hopping that this is not the case in the RO community.

Upvote 0
Well in the new year (early) im planning to hav a sit down with wilson and ramm, if they have the time, to really hash out if we can work some stuff out with them because i agree choice can be great but it can be a killer to. You only need to look at all the 24Danzig/Arad threads to know that sometimes choice can lead to no choice but like i said i know all the mods are dedicated to supporting RO and keeping it popular.

Upvote 0
Seems my use of the word PURE has gone totaly wrong....What I meant by it was that those who enjoy the game will continue to play and those who don't have left or are leaving. That was all I meant. So we are left with a pure player base of those who enjoy the game...plain and simlpe, nothing elite or exclusive.

Well this sounds a lot better then your original post. A lot of people played the game for a long time, but as with almost every game people eventually will leave and try out new games. It also has nothing to do with kids and shiny toys too...

Upvote 0
Oh man.. what am I? brown bread?

:[

.. anyhow.. in my instance, and I know polygon has done this as well as Dingbat and alot of the other devs, many of us do help out in the general LD/Mod/Sound/3d/2d forums.. maybe not as much as we once did, but we do and have. So it's not like we are exclusive talent to one mod or another mod.

Aside from that, I garentee that the 'devs/former devs' aren't doing all the heavy lifting on the mods.. frankly I know most of us don't have the time to carry the mod.. so most of it's done by new or learning talent, plus alot of us mod-days crusties that are still sticking it out :]

This is a good point as Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 is one of the few games out there where the developers actually work on the mods for their own games. Name another commercial game at the moment where this behavior is apparent. Many freelance artists simply disappear or go on to something else.

Personally, no project is too small for me. Look at Carpathian Crosses for example- it's a pretty recondite theme, but the quality is all there. I will never pass up the opportunity to work with talented modelers and other artists. As a result, I researched and textured all of their character models so far as well as several of their weapons, and this is just for a mod.

Sometimes, just that extra boost from an official developer working with a modification goes a long way.

Upvote 0

And my five cents would be that if everyone would be shush-shush about the progress, people would more likely get pissed off and think the mod is dead and say "FU [mod X]!" and when it is released with every kinds of stuff - no-one would know anything about it and it would barely attract any kind of interest.

On the other hand, the discussion of mod vs mod is plain BS. Sure, I know this is a free world and you have right to express your opinion, but in general we should take into account the mods themselves. They are free of charge, made by some group of more or less weird people that are willing to mod some game around. Like some people might spend hours and hours and hours just to get that damm german lowboot modelled correctly and has the correctly set 74-78 hobnails on the sole. Or some people are willing to pound hours and hours just to texture correct liner in their new helmet model. And you can't even see the damm thing ingame.

And second is the content. Everyone keeps repeating the same thing all and over again, that they are bored about thing X, thing X sucks, thing X is overdone and such and such and such. Especially on mods - since they are free of charge - it is not a good idea to judge book by its cover.

Remotedly, it is like saying that RO is the biggest piece of **** ever because the german 1st person sleeve textures are rather bizarre in few spots compared to a real it-was-there tunic or even a good repro. Sounds quite lousy argument, doesn't it?

Upvote 0
You have never modded a game, right?:p
Me neither, except some basic stuff for me and friends of mine, but I have been mapping for UT2003/4 for quite a while now and in fact I'm doing it right now (typing here while my PC coughs and spews because it has to rebuild again:D). I for one don't do it, just to get this and that right so some more or less weird forum customer isn't going to pick on it - though that might be a reason too, albeit a small one - but I do it, because its awesome to let yourself flow a bit and let your creativity out. Map a bit, rebuild and be amazed how awesome it looks, lol. Or rebuild, realize your map has gone to sh!it because of a BSP-Hole somewhere and then you can go and hunt for it. Funner than it sounds. :D What I'm trying to say is, that its not only the end-product that counts and you have to invest tiresome work to get to it, but for you the way is about as awesome as the endproduct too - more or less, depending on motivation...
If you are working a team, as our modding slaves do (;)) its a bit more on the "work" side, because they can't just stop whenever they want to and go on whenever they have new ideas, but they have to follow deadlines so others can adjust their speed to theirs and everyone can get the resources he needs. Still, in a totally misanthropy-assuming jump, I'm going to assume that those buggers don't crank out awesome material for us because we were all so nice to them, but because they actually enjoy what they do.

Haha, all the better for us, right?:D

Upvote 0
Stalker I must say your attitude stinks!!

Just because you're on the DH team, doesnt make you some kind of expert in the gaming industry mkay?

I bet some of the DH team feel the same about you too, so I would buck up your ways, & think twice before airing your opinions!

Sry i didn't mean to make it come across that way as it was never intended that way but i don't see where my attitude "stinks".

1) I don't think i am an expert but i just said i had exp so i wasn't just saying it becuase i am in the team, is that such a bad thing to say or are you not allowed to stand up for the mod i am in, in anyway ?

2) I don't mind if they do as they can have their opinion, was that an insult aimed at me ?

3) Why i thought the internet was free speech why should i not air my opinion when some people can in a more evil and disgusting way towards the mod ?

4) The fact is you have taken what i said totally the wrong way as most people do on the internet and that is the problem with it too.

What in the world was wrong with what i said ? plz explain and i am in no way one sided i cant wait to play MN and CC and always have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think the problem is stalker you were acting like an arrogant pr**k, wether unintentionally or otherwise. Nobody likes to be told by someone else how fantastic they are or how clever they are.

From your post it sounded like you know more about development than TWI and how DH has easily surpassed RO in terms of realism and quality. If so let the public be the judge of that as your on a mighty tall pedestal now and its quite a way to fall if people don't agree. :p

Upvote 0
guys calm down like i said im sick of this inter mod war ****, tbh im seriously starting to consider leaving entirely if people can't put childish differences behind them and stop running their mouths off.

So will everybody shut the hell up so our friend Aeneas can get us more screens, footage and eventually the mod? ktnx:D

Upvote 0
guys calm down like i said im sick of this inter mod war ****, tbh im seriously starting to consider leaving entirely if people can't put childish differences behind them and stop running their mouths off.

Right Im sure stalker (or whatever his name his is) has had a stern talking to, so lets just agree that there is no conflict between the mods :) and lets all reverb in the fact that we cant wait to see more from Aeneas!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0