• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 40,000

IG Hero classes would be fairly easy, a Hero status Commander would be similar to Commisar Yarrick or Ibram Gaunt. They would be an ordinary (ie non-Space Marine) Human who has gained enough fame and heroism to have wider access to the IG armory (Storm Bolters, Power Fists, Master Crafted weapons, Carapace Armor, and so on).

I'd be willing to lend a hand with my 2D texturing abilities if need be. I have a good collection of IG units (including Steel Legion and various vehicles) around the house and some modest experience skinning for HL2 and World of Tanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Derpus
Upvote 0
It has been a number of years since I've done a UV map, and I wasn't very good at it at the time. I'm sure if I learned how to UV map I could do it pretty well now. Having seen how some developers lay out the UV I know what is and isn't easy to work with.

Just had a few ideas about implementing morale in-game, keep in mind this would be a way to encourage sticking with your squad. Give players who stick with thier squad morale bonuses to resisting suppression or other effects, while wandering away from your squad would make suppression occur more quickly. To take this even further, if someone is killed in melee combat near you, you would suffer a very short suppression type effect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Reactions: Derpus
Upvote 0
I have a question which clan of ork there will be?

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
Found this might be useful:
Spoiler!

EDIT: found nice ork weopons picture
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a question which clan of ork there will be?

Spoiler!

Ghazghkull Thraka is Goffs I believe, but he had all the clans from the planet Uruk when he left the planet to get on space hulk (which they took through the warp, fought lots of demons on the way, then came out in Armageddon system).

Upvote 0
One thing I found funny though, what prompted to go IG vs Orks instead of Space Marines vs Orks, sounds like the more obvious matchup to me. Sounds kickass though.

Because in 40K lore there have been multiple massive Ork whaaags that have invaded the IG world of Armageddon.

And Space Marines are pussies

Hobitt, those are perfect examples of Ork weaponry. The bolters on the other hand are all Space Marine varients. On the occasion that IG actually do have access to bolters they are usually either unadorned, or mastercrafted for a hero such as Commisar Yarrick etc. If bolters are included it should be done on a very limited basis, they do fire 25mm HEAP rounds after all.

More common weapons would be, Lasgun, Longlas (longer Lasgun used as a designated marksmen weapon), Hellgun, Hellgun pistol, Las Pistol, Stationary Heavy Stubbas, and some special weapons which would be very rare (IG varient Meltas, Flamers, Plasmaguns).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ooh, sorry for not responding to the thread in like forever! :p Let me answer some questions...

We will be doing the Imperial Steel Legion from the beginning. Our reason being because of every WH40k-related game/mod in existence has used the typical Imperial Guard look if there is a presence of guardsmen. The steel legion also matches perfectly with the Armageddon wars, our main focus. We'd like to stray away from everything else a little bit, and explore something else and also very big in the 40k universe that went overlooked, and we want to do it in a way that we promise will be very enjoyable for all of you. :) We would very much like to add in other Imperial Guard divisions for different kinds of terrain (I don't know about the other members, but I have a particular liking to the Catachan jungle fighters) but we're a lot more concerned about properly getting this mod off the ground.

Most of the talent to be found in this site is already reserved for another mod project, and the current members (myself included) have to deal with real life and most of us have virtually no time to get going with the mod. If we had a member willing to sort out a site that all the members frequented, we'd be a bit better off with organisation and attracting new members. For now, we're posting in this forum, and discussing matters on steam, and using dropbox. It's good, but it's not enough.

The reason why we didn't choose Space Marines for the start is because they are - simply put - BORING. VERY boring. The heavy blue-armoured Space Marine look is everywhere in the WH40k universe, and the design of the Ultramarine has been imitated in a lot of Sci-fi stuff, be it other games, mods, movies, tabletops games, and books, pretty much everyone who has stuck with 40k for a very long time are likely to be extremely bored of seeing the opportunity of something great for the 40k universe being wasted by the space marines crashing down in their drop pods and saving the world with the help of a land-raider for the 9000th time, so it'd be nice to finally have a break because the idea is so damn overdone. Also, the newest Warhammer 40,000 game had Space Marines vs Orks, so there is absolutely no reason why we'd like to do the same as they did. Space Marines may have a very interesting fictional history, but that's not something we're going to weave in easily for a multiplayer-focused FPS mod.

What's more, it doesn't work very well with the RO2 gameplay. If we were going to use space marines in a 32 vs 32 realistic and authentic shooter, we'd be obliged to make the marines as true to the ones in the 40k universe as possible. It would not be good for balance at all, the orks will be slaughtered, aside from ones packing heavy gear, which we don't even know if we'll be including. Now don't get us wrong, given the time, resources, and room to add space marines, we would very much like to. The question is, HOW can we add them without damaging the gameplay we had in mind, how can we add them without making people groan and say "oh, here we go again", or how can we add them without being a total waste of time, which we could have spent on a bit of originality by making a playable faction that is popular, but doesn't get enough love in the videogames? And we'd like to find out, we really would! :)

As for Ork clans, we're not at all sure as to which one we want to include. Since the mod is taking place in the Armageddon campaign, the same clan that Ghazkhull led is a must-include. However, I think I heard that there were different clans involved, but that's something that needs looking into.

As for you, FBOTheLiuetenant, PM me with your Steam ID if you'd like to offer your texturing abilities! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One reason I would like to see this mod to focus on the IG and the Steel Legion in particular is that being a RO2 mod, the Steel Legion (aside from the Valhallans) look the most like WWII infantry. They simply look badass, like Sci-Fi SS with lasers. As far as having Cadian style Guardsmen...they would stick out like a sore thumb the same way they did in Space Marine. I don't know much about the planet SM took place on, but typically Cadians are on Cadia. Sure, they do have that quintescential Sci-fi spacemarine look that is based off of Aliens and Starship Troopers, but it wouldn't be "authentic" to have Cadians figthing on Armageddon.

Also I was wondering, how closely do you want the mod to stick to Steel Legion Doctrines and tactics? Is the gameplay going to be a broader experience of things rarely seen in 40K games, or is it going to be very focused on Steel Legion tactics in specific. For example the Steel Legion's love of mechanized infantry would be a very litteral approach, or would the mod play more like a standard infantry FPS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well armageddon has a lot of places that include jungles cities and other stuff so plenty of opportunities for diffrent IG units.
For space marine balance maybe use space marine neophytes they are weaker then regular space marines
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Neophyte#.TpWE0LKIhls

Im a fan of the Warhammer 40k universe waiting for this mod to bad i cant help : (

Last edited:
Upvote 0