• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Reasonable weapon/class upgrades

No, I'm not going to pick your whole post apart like you do because I simply don't have the time and like I said, pretty much everything you say is based on wrong assumptions so there is no point repeating myself a hundred times.

TWI, the developers of the game you proudly said you played for 866 hours, as a matter of fact seems to think the opposite of what you say(referring to "You are not entitled to any rewards for playing the game for a long time.") So your options are pretty much either open up your mind and wait on more real details instead of pre-condemning everything, or simply stay with OST.

"If you don't enjoy the gameplay, stop playing." Guess what, many people including myself like both awesome gameplay combined with customization! :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, I'm not going to pick your whole post apart like you do because I simply don't have the time and like I said, pretty much everything you say is based on wrong assumptions so there is no point repeating myself a hundred times.

Do you even know what a strawman is? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
TWI as a matter of fact seems to think the opposite of what you say(referring to "You are not entitled to any rewards for playing the game for a long time.")

A TWI developer also told me that persistent player progression is realistic. They're not always right.
Would you agree with that statement?
"If you don't enjoy the gameplay, stop playing." Guess what, many people including myself like both awesome gameplay combined with customization! :eek:
Then go play them. I'm out.

Upvote 0
Like I said before this game is supposed to be realistic, your not dying of starvation or sitting on guard duty for 6 hours, but the combat is supposed to be as realistic as possible, for :IS2: sakes just make the weapons and uniform according to the time and place, maybe the Germans will look all grizzled by the end of Stalingrad, maybe on one map the commander is young but on the other he's old, maybe on a few maps 1 German will get an MKB42, maybe some maps will have an actual sniper with camo an binocs while others will just have marksman, maybe the wear and tear on the weapons will be random, (I saw a pic from the Navy SEAL armory one time, some guns looked brand new, some looked worn to hell, most were in between).

In alot of cases we know about the unit in question that was fighting, the 113th infantry division was peticularly malnourished, Siberians were all grizzled men, Russian Marines had young commanders, ETC. This isn't some career mode for the US Army, this is

WORLD-WAR-II

Upvote 0
A TWI developer also told me that persistent player progression is realistic. They're not always right.
Would you agree with that statement?
A player becoming more skilled over the time of the war being represented with the ability of allowing previously unlocked classes and optical presentation as well as a small morale bonus when next to recruits(new gamers) is realistic enough for me. They don't need to justify every decision they make in front of some Court of Realism Gamers. As long as it fits gameplay and isn't out of place then it's fine with me.

Upvote 0
Part of the problem is that US soldiers were so much better equipped and supplied than the rest of the world. US production, particularly of trucks and other logistical equipment was so much better and then the fact that our supply lines and production facilities weren't being constantly bombed...

the rest of the world suffered the longer they were stationed, particularly in Stalingrad where Hitler decided that airdropping a fraction of the necessary supplies to sustain the forces stationed there would be sufficient for them to win the battle...

meanwhile the Soviets were much closer to home and encircled the city.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-E0406-0022-011%2C_Russland%2C_deutscher_Kriegsgefangener.jpg

That's a veteran hero of Stalingrad right there compared to his fresh Russian counterpart.

I mean, if you want to talk roleplaying we can go on all day.

I tend towards the idea that there should be no roleplaying and that the game should come down to realistic mechanics....realistic physics, realistic weapons, and so forth, rather than dictating player movements. What's really at issue here is HoS has a unique position as the first RO game with a singleplayer campaign to really balance things from a gameplay perspective in the multi mode while giving us the historical perspective and the true-to-life unit placements in the singleplayer mode. It's unfortunate they didn't go that route, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Part of the problem is that US soldiers were so much better equipped and supplied than the rest of the world. US production, particularly of trucks and other logistical equipment was so much better and then the fact that our supply lines and production facilities weren't being constantly bombed...

the rest of the world suffered the longer they were stationed, particularly in Stalingrad where Hitler decided that airdropping a fraction of the necessary supplies to sustain the forces stationed there would be sufficient for them to win the battle...

meanwhile the Soviets were much closer to home and encircled the city.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-E0406-0022-011%2C_Russland%2C_deutscher_Kriegsgefangener.jpg

That's a veteran hero of Stalingrad right there compared to his fresh Russian counterpart.

I mean, if you want to talk roleplaying we can go on all day.

I tend towards the idea that there should be no roleplaying and that the game should come down to realistic mechanics....realistic physics, realistic weapons, and so forth, rather than dictating player movements. What's really at issue here is HoS has a unique position as the first RO game with a singleplayer campaign to really balance things from a gameplay perspective in the multi mode while giving us the historical perspective and the true-to-life unit placements in the singleplayer mode. It's unfortunate they didn't go that route, in my opinion.

I've seen that picture alot, is there any info on it?

As for role playing, this is NOT a role playing game, this is a realistic historical shooter!

Upvote 0
For a 100% realistic & authentic singleplayer experience I'd be all with you, but I think the problem is that the SP campaign will as I believe be nothing but a UT3-esque lineup of MP missions with maybe some text-intro here or there and not the real deal.

Yeah maybe it will be like mundane real life missions most of the time and not huge epic suicidal charges or assassinating generals. BTW I also played this game called Mount and Blade Warband, it was a huge dissapointment because I wasn't besieging castles with 5747502175024 men and the archers didn't use flaming arrows.

Me thinks it's a German PoW.

You sir are a historical genius.

Upvote 0
ppsh, by default people were issued with 1 drum and some sticks, the more experienced players perhaps would get the ability to carry more drums with them.

k98, by default you have a sight hood it would be nice if you could remove it throughout the game.

mg34, you will probably start off with the drum mag with the mg34, it would be nice if you could "earn" the ability to use belts.
Not keen on "upgrades", but I do love customization. I'd say have those options available from the get go.
...then why not reward that...[?]
No need to reward what you're supposed to do.

Upvote 0
We already know that the sniper will be able to get scopes of different magnifications.

What do you think are reasonable "upgrades" for other classes?
Here some of my thoughts.

ppsh, by default people were issued with 1 drum and some sticks, the more experienced players perhaps would get the ability to carry more drums with them.

k98, by default you have a sight hood it would be nice if you could remove it throughout the game.

mg34, you will probably start off with the drum mag with the mg34, it would be nice if you could "earn" the ability to use belts.

I can't think of many others so lets think of what would be reasonable updates or changes that won't cripple a new player so the say.

not necessary. just because one weapon my feature an "upgrade" option doesn't mean it has to applied across the board. some of those suggestion(like removing sight hood) simply doesn't make sense and will just take up development time.

Reactions: VariousNames
Upvote 0
not necessary. just because one weapon my feature an "upgrade" option doesn't mean it has to applied across the board. some of those suggestion(like removing sight hood) simply doesn't make sense and will just take up development time.

Removing the sighthood makes sense because it was actually done in battle. And a lot of people liked the K98 more without a sight hood during the mod. There have been quite a lot of threads about it actually. The sight hood blocks a big part of your sight which is why many preferred it without it.

If there would be good 3d support i would be happy as well as then i could just look with 2 eyes open and let my non aiming eye fill in the parts blocked by the sight hood.

So far we know that characters can level up, like obtain slightly less sway and stuff like that. And that the sniper got different types of scope. Indeed it doesn't mean that other weapons will get different abilities, but its a likely step for tripwire to make. Similarly I suspect that people can unlock things like uniform stuff as well.

For instance similar to different scopes rifleman could unlock the carbine versions of the rifles, which would have a lower amount of sway, length and inertia due to having less front mass but less accuracy. And the ability to remove the sight hood.

PPSH soldiers could unlock the ability to carry more drums than the default 1 drum and some sticks. Or perhaps unlock the more rare older PPD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So this thread is not saying that weapon customization will be in, but with one weapon gaining customization abilities, it wouldn't be that weird to see customization with different classes.

Whether they would be unlocks or not we logically do not know but that doesn't change the basis of this thread. About what logical and realistic customizations could be.

Upvote 0
Removing the sighthood makes sense because it was actually done in battle. And a lot of people liked the K98 more without a sight hood during the mod. There have been quite a lot of threads about it actually. The sight hood blocks a big part of your sight which is why many preferred it without it.

If there would be good 3d support i would be happy as well as then i could just look with 2 eyes open and let my non aiming eye fill in the parts blocked by the sight hood.

I have to agree with 213 that mods like that are unnecessary and a poor allocation of development time.

So far we know that characters can level up, like obtain slightly less sway and stuff like that. And that the sniper got different types of scope. Indeed it doesn't mean that other weapons will get different abilities, but its a likely step for tripwire to make. Similarly I suspect that people can unlock things like uniform stuff as well.
Oh, god. Tripwire is a small developer. I hope they don't decide to make all these tiny little mods.

Content and bug fixing is more important :(
For instance similar to different scopes rifleman could unlock the carbine versions of the rifles, which would have a lower amount of sway, length and inertia due to having less front mass but less accuracy. And the ability to remove the sight hood.
Incidentally, rifle length does not determine accuracy.

Carbines should have less inertia and sway...however, more recoil and muzzle blast :p

I think it would also be realistic due to the decreased weight and length to have slightly faster sighting.

Upvote 0
Looks like my reply was deleted.

So I will say it again:

Some unlocks would be nice, assuming they are realistic. They can be balanced out well to.

Example:

You can unlock stick mags for the PPSH.

Advantages: Quicker reloading. More ammo overall.

Disadvantages: More frequent reloading compared to drums.

Realistic, and yet it balances out pretty well.

I think similar ideas would be much better than experimental weapons or "perks" such as a boast in running speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: DraKon2k
Upvote 0
Looks like my reply was deleted.

So I will say it again:

Some unlocks would be nice, assuming they are realistic. They can be balanced out well to.

Example:

You can unlock stick mags for the PPSH.

Advantages: Quicker reloading. More ammo overall.

Disadvantages: More frequent reloading compared to drums.

Realistic, and yet it balances out pretty well.

I think similar ideas would be much better than experimental weapons or "perks" such as a boast in running speed.

They usually carried one drum mag in the gun itself, and then several sticks, it wasn't one or the other.

Upvote 0