• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Randomly losing connection to any server (LAN or Online)

Hello,

Since 3 days or so, there seems to be a problem with the Steam master servers that leads to random disconnects with the message "Connection failed" after 1 to 2 minutes after connecting to certain servers. This happens online, but also on LAN servers as well.

It seems to affect almost every server as it seems and is a huge problem.

Please have a look at the forum thread at Steam about this where it has been determined that its a problem with the Steam master servers:

Thank you.

News on this:
The Darkest Hour: Europe 44-45 developer team announced that they have the same issue on their server (They use the same game engine) and this was the update message:

"Frequent Disconnects Issue

During the past week you might've experienced frequent disconnects with a
Connection Failed
error from both official and community servers. We're currently looking into this and contacted Valve, as we suspect this is caused by authentication issues with Steam.

In the meantime,
just reconnect if it happens and there won't be any more disconnections for the rest of the session"

Upvote 0
The team is investigating what is happening here, but it seems like a Steam change has caused this issue.

Darkest Hour dev here, we'd definitely be really appreciative if this issue can be figured out. We reached out to Steam ourselves in November, but haven't heard back from them. If there's anything we could do to help out with debugging it or something, please let me know.

Upvote 0
Darkest Hour dev here, we'd definitely be really appreciative if this issue can be figured out. We reached out to Steam ourselves in November, but haven't heard back from them. If there's anything we could do to help out with debugging it or something, please let me know.
Could you shoot us any serverlogs showing the disconnects? (KF 1 and RO1/RS)

Upvote 0
The team is investigating what is happening here, but it seems like a Steam change has caused this issue.

Hi Yoshiro, this is the same issue that was reported back in 2014, you may have a previous ticket with Steam about this for reference.

This is our interaction from 2014: https://forums.tripwireinteractive....-steamid-players-steamid-steamerror-12.95749/

Since then the issue has come and went, once every few years for about a week or two, never enough to stir up the kind of attention it received in the last month. I often am the only one noticing it, because I play the game more than everybody else ;)

As a workaround I do a steamcmd verify to replace the steamclient.so file for the older version, it prevents the server from being listed in the server browser but also prevents the issue from happening (no 'Steamauth: Accepted' appear in the log but also no 'Steamauth: Denied' and no disconnection).

Server log example of a client getting disconnected, then reconnecting and being accepted:

Upvote 0
I found this (very recent) blog post about how someone discovered the underlying cause of the problem. The tl;dr for "fixing" it is that if the player sits and waits on the main menu for a short while before joining a server, the likelihood of the error occurring drops dramatically.

Upvote 0