• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Tuning] Quiet Sounds; Found Possible Solution

falcon0365

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 18, 2011
For those of us having problems with quiet sound effects (weak-sounding guns, bullets, etc), give this a shot:

1. Go to the Control Panel and open your Sound settings (make sure you're under the Playback tab).
2. Open the Properties for your output device.
3. Click on the Enhancements tab.
4. Disable "Bass Boost and Frequency Protection."
5. Disable "Loudness Equalization."
6. Enable "Virtual Surround" (doing this should disable "Room Correction." If it doesn't for some reason, disable that too).

Try these settings first. If there is no difference, try experimenting with different combinations.

In my case, no enhancements at all made everything sound very weak. With different combinations of enhancements, things almost always sounded outrageously quiet (particularly guns and grenades).

However, with only Virtual Surround enabled I'm hearing louder guns, louder explosions, and a lot of sound effects I haven't even heard before like different death sounds (I had never heard the gurgling before) and artillery whooshing overhead.

So to those of us complaining about quiet sounds, I would recommend trying this. I don't have much experience messing with sound settings and I don't even know if these same options are available to people with different sound cards, so leave some feedback and let me know if anybody finds something that works better. After combing the forums and tinkering with the ROengine.ini to no avail this is the only thing that has even made a difference for me.

Hope this helps!

This happen to my RO2 over the weekend, I was using the console often for connecting to servers. Also using alt-tab to minimize the game to get IPs. I gotta few crashes as a result. But now my sound is very very very low. I gotta jack up in-game and speaker volume to hear anything.

Any ideas? I never had this problem prior to the weekend, even going back to the beta it was fine.

FYI, I'm on W7 64-bit with on-board Realtek sound. I was already on the latest drivers(Sept. 2nd release) that was posted earlier.

Upvote 0