• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Questions: Animations, Campaign, Vehicles, Weapon Unlocking

Skyrilla

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2012
The Shatcave
Bear with me but I just recovered from a bad migraine and can't think straight but I really wanted to get these out of the way before I forgot. These weren't mentioned in the FAQ so I figured I'd ask.

Will you guys be improving and refining animations or will you use the ones from RO2/RS? Is mocap in the budget? Also, facial animations. It's a small detail but I like it as part of immersion. It wasn't very noticeable but when you did look at it, the stiff, motionless faces of the soldiers in the previous games... yeah. No moving eyes, blinking, expressions, even when dead or getting hurt. Sort of gave it a puppety vibe. Are you addressing this?

As for no Campaign, the FAQ said there wasn't going to be one for launch but... why not? You've got the ground works covered already, you've got the experience of making it, wouldn't it be awesome to have it in to begin with? Don't get me wrong but this is giving me some baaad vibes like with RO2's launch... where a lot of stuff was left out.

Vehicles, I know there's going to be a bunch of choppers and jets you can call in, and that's cool and all BUT I'm wondering, will pilot players be able to eject/evacuate from crashing or burning aircraft, or get out and back in? I know you'll have the ability to spawn as a pilot from a distant base, but seeing as how Huey pilots had an SMG side-arm (typically an Ingram MAC or Grease Gun), wouldn't it be cool to still serve a purpose in case you lost the aircraft?

And what about ground vehicles? You guys have the experience with tanks and half-tracks, surely you'll be including the American M113 APC and Willys MB jeep in the least? Bicycles were very popular and in heavy use by the Viet Cong, was this considered and if not, why?

Lastly (I forgot to include this after posting lol...) How will the weapon tiers work? Is it map-based like previously and will you rank up in levels to access different materiel?

Anyway those are my questions really. Everything else has been answered, I know about the weapons, game modes, locales, armies, software used, I don't really care about much else because I know it's going to be covered in one way or another.

Honestly can't wait, this is the game we've been waiting for. It'll be a nice christmas present. :)

Last edited:
barking;n2269021 said:
i heard that there will be no unlocks for weapons based on levels
Indeed, it's stated on the steam page.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/418460/

NO CLASS RANKS / WEAPON UNLOCKS
Rising Storm 2: Vietnam's focus will be player skill and balance. We won't be locking content like weapon upgrades, improved player characteristics or new armaments behind a rank or experience system. We want to put the tools to succeed in the hands of every player.

However, I'm pretty sure they will let you unlock different cosmetics(historically accurate ones of course).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Iroquois pilots often took an entire M16 with them. Since you could fit a couple in the cockpit easy. Would have seen more of them with M16s than Mac-10s and grease guns. Most of them however just relied on their issued sidearm and M60s. If you crash landed all you had to do was take those M60s off their mountings and boom you got an entire light machine gun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just want to touch on jeeps. Like my favorite topic. In this war the vary early days it was the M38a1 jeep. (civil versions today trace their looks to this vehicle. But most where the, not a jeep, jeep. The Ford M151 mutt. Nothing to do with Willies overland or anything jeep. In fact they could not use vertical slats on this thing as they where protected under trademark by the jeep brand. Ford had to use horizontal slats over the radiator. :p

If anyone does an M113 with ACAV kit I will kiss you. Or hell, I might make one. Actually I have an old mesh that I could update. But this is not a hard vehicle to make at all. Like the easiest interior ever.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2269056 said:
Iroquois pilots often took an entire M16 with them. Since you could fit a couple in the cockpit easy. Would have seen more of them with M16s than Mac-10s and grease guns. Most of them however just relied on their issued sidearm and M60s. If you crash landed all you had to do was take those M60s off their mountings and boom you got an entire light machine gun.

I don't think you would want take any open bolt SMG packed in a chopper. Bad combo if bolt back on a loaded magazine. One large bump and its going to fire on its own (m3 at least). I don't think I have ever seen chopper guys with SMG's. Sure it happened however at some point. But vehicle crew should just get a pistol and they can go find a real weapon later IMO.

Upvote 0
Flashburn;n2269174 said:
I don't think you would want take any open bolt SMG packed in a chopper. Bad combo if bolt back on a loaded magazine. One large bump and its going to fire on its own (m3 at least). I don't think I have ever seen chopper guys with SMG's. Sure it happened however at some point. But vehicle crew should just get a pistol and they can go find a real weapon later IMO.

I spoke with a Vietnam pilot veteran which is what I based my knowledge on and he spoke of his M3 and how pilots had a choice.

How come the devs are unwilling or unable to comment on the rest of my questions? Or anyone else for that matter?

Upvote 0
Skyrilla;n2269353 said:
I spoke with a Vietnam pilot veteran which is what I based my knowledge on and he spoke of his M3 and how pilots had a choice.

How come the devs are unwilling or unable to comment on the rest of my questions? Or anyone else for that matter?

Developers often don't like saying yes or no when they are unsure themselves whether or not a feature will be implemented.

And yeah the M3 had a pretty good safety on it. The Dust Cover. So if you had it closed you could drop the gun as much as you liked and it wouldn't go off. Perfect for a helicopter cockpit.

Upvote 0
Skyrilla;n2269353 said:

Pretty much all your questions have already been covered elsewhere, or aren't exactly easy to answer. 'Are you addressing animations?' - well, yeah. We're working on them. Not sure what else to say.

Helicopters don't have eject mechanisms, but you can leave a helicopter that lands or crashes. Yes, you have an M3. We didn't give pilots other weapons because we don't want people using the Huey as a personal transport. I'm aware real Huey pilots often carried other guns, but right now you only have the M3 available to the class on spawn. Generally though we'd like to encourage pilots to stay in their chopper and focus on playing their specific part rather than running around on foot.

Campaign for RS2 will need to be re-tooled substantially. The 'reversing' way it worked in RO2/RS just wouldn't work here, plus we have more than one large-scale game mode. We've said we'll look at it after release.

Upvote 0
Jackett;n2269357 said:
Pretty much all your questions have already been covered elsewhere, or aren't exactly easy to answer. 'Are you addressing animations?' - well, yeah. We're working on them. Not sure what else to say.

Helicopters don't have eject mechanisms, but you can leave a helicopter that lands or crashes. Yes, you have an M3. We didn't give pilots other weapons because we don't want people using the Huey as a personal transport. I'm aware real Huey pilots often carried other guns, but right now you only have the M3 available to the class on spawn. Generally though we'd like to encourage pilots to stay in their chopper and focus on playing their specific part rather than running around on foot.

Campaign for RS2 will need to be re-tooled substantially. The 'reversing' way it worked in RO2/RS just wouldn't work here, plus we have more than one large-scale game mode. We've said we'll look at it after release.

No no, that's perfect tho. Thanks for the answers. What I meant with animations is will you improve the facial animations? Make them blink etc? At least have moving mouths when shouting things? Y'know, just that extra quality?

No eject system is perfect. I just wanted to know if you could get out of them when grounded. It's totally fine tho I'm really okay with pilots having the M3, that was a very common choice for them, but I'm secretly hopeful you'll also be adding the Ingram MAC-10 as an alternate option! I wouldn't worry about them being used as personal transports, it wouldn't be practical in a game like this.

Thanks for that. Campaign further down the line post-launch is fine, whatever it takes to have it polished.

I understand tanks are a no-go for now, even if the Vietnamese have substantial anti-tank capabilities what with the RPGs and mines, but have you considered the American M113 APC, jeeps or Vietnamese GAZ trucks?

Upvote 0