• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Question about the move from RO to RO2

Well, I will disagree with the statement that the game is a mess, and that it's a disaster to ROOST fans. I'm a ROOST fan, and I really enjoy the new game.
Right now I can name only 2 things which bother me:
1. Maps - which are great, but lack some open-ground variations, they're close-combat oriented, and we have other games that cover that kind of map design. I liked ROOST and DH maps for being large and open, and I hope we'll get that kind of maps in RO2.
2. Too few bolt action rifles - we need less auto/semi weapons and more bolt action rifles.

And before you start throwing rocks at me, I'm a huge fan of ROOST, it's, no doubt, my favorite game.
Still, I really enjoy 90% of the new features, I enjoy the new game speed and less inertia. I enjoy the super fluent mantling and cover system. I enjoy the new weapon systems, such as "zoom", MG deployment, controlled breathing, single round bolt action "refill", checking your ammo, crouching with an MG... I enjoy the squad system (though it needs more features for steam friends). I even enjoy the progression system.
Strip the game of all those features, and you've got the same old RO. And why do you need another old RO if you already have one?
I'm glad they've made the game the way it's made.

Upvote 0
6-7 people could be found dug into a foxhole taking shots at you and there was no point to try to dodge the bullets with any twitchy movements because it didn’t exist.
In reality you can and will do a lot of twitchy movements once a bullet hits somewhere near you.
You couldnt in RO1 which made it feel unrealistic.

In RO you had a nade landing near you and your avatar got up like "hmmm ok lets get up" *boom*
In reality you can run very fast when you have to so thats ok too in RO2.

The spawning on the SL is a lot less extreme than in other games, because in BC2 you can spawn on any squad mate all the time without a problem.
In RO2 you will never see enemies appear out of nowhere because of the line-of-sight rule.

And forget about the unlocks you can completely ignore them when youre good and still get the kills easily.

When youre on a server with good players you get punished very quickly for doing stupid things.
The zoom even adds to that so the fear of dying like im in a real battle is there for me on some maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I will disagree with the statement that the game is a mess, and that it's a disaster to ROOST fans. I'm a ROOST fan, and I really enjoy the new game.
Right now I can name only 2 things which bother me:
1. Maps - which are great, but lack some open-ground variations, they're close-combat oriented, and we have other games that cover that kind of map design. I liked ROOST and DH maps for being large and open, and I hope we'll get that kind of maps in RO2.
2. Too few bolt action rifles - we need less auto/semi weapons and more bolt action rifles.

And before you start throwing rocks at me, I'm a huge fan of ROOST, it's, no doubt, my favorite game.
Still, I really enjoy 90% of the new features, I enjoy the new game speed and less inertia. I enjoy the super fluent mantling and cover system. I enjoy the new weapon systems, such as "zoom", MG deployment, controlled breathing, single round bolt action "refill", checking your ammo, crouching with an MG... I enjoy the squad system (though it needs more features for steam friends). I even enjoy the progression system.
Strip the game of all those features, and you've got the same old RO. And why do you need another old RO if you already have one?
I'm glad they've made the game the way it's made.

Who's/which statement said the game is a mess..?

The game is not a disaster to roosters, I believe. It's simply just a minor one. The game is in it's deep core Red Orchestra and nothing else. Only a few features and gamemechanics makes it to something else. Even if you enjoy the more arcade and dumbed down gameplay that doesn't mean the formula is the same. The formula is changed since RO ost.

Strip those features away and you got the same old ro? Not really. You got a less accessible game. Remember that the whole point of this direction is to make the game more accessible. Problem with this is that TWI didn't weren't completely telling the truth. Second problem is that RO2 isn't more accesible than before. It's less accessible than RO ost. I pushes away the mainstream, the arma community, the flashpoint community, and the old RO community. Left is a completely new audience.
They said the game was about to become more accessible but they didn't utter a word that that it would affect everyone. Because right now there are no proper harcore mode. Hardcore mode is basicly like arcade but with no HUD. TWI never told anyone about this.

Upvote 0
U guys need to stop compare RO with RO2 . We have 2 different backgrounds . And in Ro2 its Stalingrad . Stalingrad was a nightmare for the soldiers . There is one famous phrase says, German conquered poland in 28 days , France in 38 days , and in stalingrad after 28 days they conquered few buildings . my point is we have a total different warfare and thats why i like every ro2 map . There are not very open but dense and heavy urban with bunch of cover . I would also like to see more maps like Red October , one of my fav maps so far . And i agree with devil , there is no reason to make a remake of game . and even twi would have made a polished version form Ro1 ppl would still complain , bcs they would find it boring bcs of same gameplay or lack of ideas. Ro2 is a one step forward and not backwards like u guys want to point out at least for me it is . ANd why u cry so much Cyber about stats system . I find this system very nice . It keeps ppl playing and for me loosing is less frustrating at least u get some points on ur gun :D ALso lockdowns is nice feature that prevend ppl from ragequitting :D When our team get owned im rly happy that lockdown finish the round :D Less frustrating mate :D
ANd why u guys say this game has not tactical gameplay ? Have u ever played with a team that has no idea about tactics and holding tactical positions ? Or playing their class properly ? U guys say that this new game mechanics encourage run and gunners but believe me playing in a team with run and gunners , its just chaos and dam frustrating .

Regards Billy

Upvote 0
I'm not an Ro:OST player, but I have noticed the most recent patch has addressed some of these issues. I'll admit that I've gotten quite annoyed when dieing to semi auto/full auto players in close quarters while I have only my bolt rifle, so I can relate. With some of these things being fixed, is it a sign that TWI is listening and trying to meet the concerns of a veteran community?

I hope they see the effort TWI is putting out and will return too RO2 soon. :)

Upvote 0
In reality you can and will do a lot of twitchy movements once a bullet hits somewhere near you.
You couldnt in RO1 which made it feel unrealistic.

In RO you had a nade landing near you and your avatar got up like "hmmm ok lets get up" *boom*
In reality you can run very fast when you have to so thats ok too in RO2.

The spawning on the SL is a lot less extreme than in other games, because in BC2 you can spawn on any squad mate all the time without a problem.
In RO2 you will never see enemies appear out of nowhere because of the line-of-sight rule.

And forget about the unlocks you can completely ignore them when youre good and still get the kills easily.

When youre on a server with good players you get punished very quickly for doing stupid things.
The zoom even adds to that so the fear of dying like im in a real battle is there for me on some maps.

If the twitchy movements that are portrayed in RO2 is realistic why don't you consider to give an email to Bohemia Interactive about this?

They develop military simulators and combat simulators. Their first game was released 2001. They've never portrayed the twitchy movements found in RO2 in all those years despite that their games are the most realistic ones to date. It's weird, because they develop videogames which are used as a training tool for the military. They must have missed out something. Tell them about the realistic movements in RO2 and see what they say. Ask the community aswell.

Battlefield is a full-blown arcade game. It's a completely different genre than RO2. Just because you can't spawn close to all teammates in RO2 doesn't mean the ability to spawn at the teamleader is justified in terms of realism.

The unlocks are still not realistic and they're way out of line from RO OSTs formula no matter if you like them or not, no matter if you use them or not.

The fact that you're punished very quickly for doing stupid things doesn't mean that the gameplay is as unforgiving as in RO ost. It's actually the opposite. The gameplay in RO2 is more forgiving (but not enough) to appeal to the mainstream. RO2 contains a lot more arcade features than the orginal RO.

Upvote 0
Long story short: They failed in making game more accessible and enough interesting for RO:O players. From unique and award winning RO:O it turned into "another" fps game like Homefront.
CoD players left few days or weeks after release to play BC3/MW3 and not going to come back. RO:O players still are around and have hope that TWI can fix gameplay so they can return back to game that they like. Here it's worth mentioning that Yoshiro posted about possible gameplay changes in future. Ie. reduced number of SMGs in new patch. Sound promising, but it is only small step forward.

If you're listening TWI, this man has perfectly described your current predicament.

What's that old saying, If you chase 2 rabbits, you will lose them both? Well you've already lost the mainstream rabbit, but you still seem to be chasing 2 rabbits. If you want anyone to buy RO3 you need to start chasing the right rabbit.

Nothing has been changed to make the game MORE like what RO:OST players want, its only been changed to be more what other players would want.

While you should be grovelling like hell to retain the core RO:OST crowd after all the mainstream gamers you went after bailed, I've only seen a couple of concessions and no real concilliation. Only vague hat tips of "yeah the launch was rocky but we're patching it and everything you're not happy with can be fixed with the SDK so quit complaining".

Sorry TWI, that's not good enough. If you want people to stop complaining you actually have to LISTEN to their complaints and make those who are complaining feel like you really understand and are trying to solve their problems.

"If you don't like it you can mod it" is not what people paid

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It didn't change much, people just stopped playing RO1 so long ago that they remember it as a rosier picture than it actually was. The gameplay of the two games is very similar.

Yes, like unlocks, being able to see where the enemy is, spawning with enemy weapons, leveling up, being called a hero instead of being a hero, maps with no context, combat having no effect on aim, arbitrary artillery caliber, cluttered HUD, no compass, limited avatar vocals, vocals in english (but with an accent? wtf?), static machine gun positions...

Yep, exactly the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not true actually. I see people pop into existence in front of me all the time. Usually happens when the SL is hiding in a building close to the enemy. His troops then spawn between the building and the enemy, in the open, often facing the wrong way.

Upvote 0
As an SL I frequently see team mates spawning near me with their a$$es to the wind, and it makes me cringe - every - single - time. I do feel partly responsible for their inevitable immediate demise (usually shot in the back as the propensity to spawn facing the wrong direction seems to be far higher than mere chance) because they trusted me to find a decent hidey hole for them to safely spawn into, but no matter how ‘safe’ I make that hole there is nothing I can do about where they actually appear. These days I very rarely hear calls for spawn (if given enough warning I fall back to a ‘safe’ spot) because people are increasingly refusing to use the function due to its currently borked condition. I wouldn’t use the function if the SL was at the front (and an SL who isn’t at the front isn’t doing his job properly).

Spawn on Squad Leader – great idea, rubbish implementation.

Accepting that the function is here to stay I humbly suggest the following tweaks:-
- SL being able to see a Waiting To Spawn list for their squad, and the timer so that SLs can at least do their job without cajoling players to announce when they want to try to spawn on SL.
- When selecting to Spawn on SL players have the option to sit in a ‘holding pattern’ that spawns on SL the moment the option is possible rather than immediately failing to spawn on SL and dropping them on a static spawn.
- Spawn on SL performs an enemy line of sight check for nearest safe drop point, much like the mechanic that is already in place to determine if the SL is in enemy sight.
-OR-
- Temporary spawn protection for spawns on SL granting the team mate the ability to quickly find cover. Importantly, spawnee should not be able to attack during this brief period.

PS. Oh, and give SLs a bolt rifle option for heaven’s sake!

Upvote 0
I never spwan on squadldaer bcs of that reason . U can still watch where he is and form ur ingame experience if he is in safe zone or not . But honestly the distance to the action isnt that fast like in Ro1 so i prefer to walk :) But what TWI can do is to be able to see as squadleader the arty strikes u point on the map so u can better help ur commander with arty strikes coordinates.

Upvote 0