• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Quality vs quantity: tanks edition

I would love to see a more in-depth cannon ammo system, the way they are making gun ammunition more in-depth (they're adding APCR, right?) That way we could actually have AP cannon rounds and HE rounds. I really like the way the German Soldier's mod implements it in Men of War.

Yeah that would be great! If wikipedia is to be believed there was quite a variety of ammo available for the TNSh cannon on the T-60.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AFAIK the BT-7 had a 45mm gun and never any kind of auto cannon. I could be wrong though.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the 20mm TNSh auto cannon of the T-60?

My Bad, I meant the T-60.

Something to consider, the tanks to be introduced don't have to be totally balanced to each other. The mapper can balance the tanks with numbers (either in available tanks at a time, or reinforcements).

Last edited:
Reactions: Witzig
Upvote 0
My Bad, I meant the T-60.

Something to consider, the tanks to be introduced don't have to be totally balanced to each other. The mapper can balance the tanks with numbers (either in available tanks at a time, or reinforcements).

Good idea. I suppose you could balance a map that features one KV-1 for the Russians by giving the Germans 5 Pz IIIs or something.

Upvote 0
I would like to add that I would pay for a future tank pack. Tripwire Interactive is a very small company. They are going up against very large game studios and in the end they need to make money. I do not see anything wrong with paying extra money down the road for extra vehicles/tanks. If they have modeled the tanks fairly accurate then each new tank will add/change the game play of HOS. WWII had many different vehicles/tanks. I can list plenty of tanks/vehicles I would like to see as plenty of other people have over the years. What if they charged $10 for a vehicle pack. This is not much money these days and it would give them extra income and sales to create RO3 or more content. I know the younger people are very much against paying more for extra content. However Tripwire is a company and they need to make money. The more we support them the better a chance that everyone will get in the end what they want. This is just my 2 cents... :D

Upvote 0
I would like to add that I would pay for a future tank pack. Tripwire Interactive is a very small company. They are going up against very large game studios and in the end they need to make money. I do not see anything wrong with paying extra money down the road for extra vehicles/tanks. If they have modeled the tanks fairly accurate then each new tank will add/change the game play of HOS. WWII had many different vehicles/tanks. I can list plenty of tanks/vehicles I would like to see as plenty of other people have over the years. What if they charged $10 for a vehicle pack. This is not much money these days and it would give them extra income and sales to create RO3 or more content. I know the younger people are very much against paying more for extra content. However Tripwire is a company and they need to make money. The more we support them the better a chance that everyone will get in the end what they want. This is just my 2 cents... :D

Considering that A. They're already planning on releasing these things as "free content packs" (what it sounds like) and B. having sold 500,000 copies of Red Orchestra and I don't know how many of killing floor, perhaps they aren't as small as you think.

Upvote 0
A snapshot of tank strength in Paulus' 6th Army on September 14:

210 tanks total with 14 Pz 2, 82 Pz 3 with L/60, 28 Pz 3 with short 7.5, 18 Pz 4 with L/43, 25 Pz 38, and 30 StuGs with no indication of how many long/short.

Tank strength in Southeastern Front on September 12 (after 2 days heavy fighting):

82 operational with 48 T-34, 17 T-70, and 17 T-60 out of 138 total. Numbers from Glantz's Armageddon in Stalingrad.

Basically, the Panzer 3 L/60 and the T-70 would make historical sense. The Panzer 4 should be a close match for the T-34 while the Panzer 3 would struggle against the T-34 but clobber the T-70. The only potential issue is the T-70s cripplingly small crew of 2.

Upvote 0
I think it has already been said somewhere in the thread, but...

The level of detail in the new tank system is WAY beyond anything we have done before. Actually, it is WAY beyond anything ANYONE has done before, as far as I know.

Remember - you are getting a full 3D interior to the vehicle. Including all the crew. All animated and functioning. You saw the loader in the trailer...

You are also getting all the ammo bins, all the fuel cells, the transmission, drive shaft, optics, etc etc.

The exterior models took something like 6 man-weeks of work, the interior about 3 man-months for one tank. It may be less going forward, now Rob has worked out most of the tricks - but it is still a heavy job.

I think you have as much systems functionality in Steel Beasts, but without the interior model and crew. WWII Online probably has similar mechanics, but based on much more dated research and also missing the interior modeling.

So - only 2 vehicles at launch... it is a LOT of work :p

Upvote 0
I'm totally with TWI decision. I prefer quality over quantity and I don't mind if we get 2 tanks only, but how awesome they will be. From that what Willsonam wrote, we get most detailed tank game ever.

For quantity fans: There will be more tanks soon. Same as in RO:O and Killing Floor, TWI adds new stuff with future updates.

YouTube - WWII Online: Battleground Europe- Damage Model

Here's a video of mentioned WWII Online game damage model and we get similar. IS-2 would be proud of that work.
Can't wait! :IS2:

Last edited:
Reactions: HerrPorsche
Upvote 0
I'm totally with TWI decision. I prefer quality over quantity and I don't mind if we get 2 tanks only, but how awesome they will be. From that what Willsonam wrote, we get most detailed tank game ever.

For quantity fans: There will be more tanks soon. Same as in RO:O and Killing Floor, TWI adds new stuff with future updates.

YouTube - WWII Online: Battleground Europe- Damage Model

Here's a video of mentioned WWII Online game damage model and we get similar. IS-2 would be proud of that work.
Can't wait! :IS2:
Wow I always knew WW2OL's tank dmg models were good but I had no idea they were THAT detailed. If we get something close in RO:HOS that would be insane.

Upvote 0
Wow I always knew WW2OL's tank dmg models were good but I had no idea they were THAT detailed. If we get something close in RO:HOS that would be insane.

Yeah if you're not careful you can overheat your Engine in WWIIOL, if your driving with full throttle for prolonged durations....

Might sound hilarious, but it ain't if it happening to you ^^

Upvote 0
I know tanks in RO2 will be realistic in terms of stuff like full interior animations, optics, slit views, damaging tracks, engine etc. but how exactly will be realistic armor/penetration system? Will there be stuff like partial penetrations, the armor no longer coded as a one value but actually has a value of slope and thickness and it's split into a turret, upper hull and lower hull, no more tank "health" that it goes from yellow, red to blown up and all the other details?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know tanks in RO2 will be realistic in terms of stuff like full interior animations, optics, slit views, damaging tracks, optics etc. but how exactly will be realistic armor/penetration system? Will there be stuff like partial penetrations, the armor no longer coded as a one value but actually has a value of slope and thickness and it's split into a turret, upper hull and lower hull, no more tank "health" that it goes from yellow, red to blown up and all the other details?
I guess it will be more detailed if the round can come through and kill the crewmembers inside.

Upvote 0