• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pyramid Head: A new Monster

Love the idea, but the concept is flawed though.

This is just my opinion on the matter, nothing else, don't take it as otherwise, but...

What i think that "pyramid head" should be is a boss. Much like the patriarch, but instead of spawning on wave 11, it could spawn on the end of wave 10, before the patriarch (or something like it) in conjuntion with a low to moderate ammount of regular zeds.

IMO, the specimen should not be invincible though, that would be too much. It should have a high ammount of resistances (preventing exploits, like you suggested, loved the idea), and a moderate attack damage and slow move speed.

HOWEVER, he had a rage bar. If players kept too far away from him, the bar would rise. If it reaches maximum, pyramid head would then charge at the players (faster than a fleshpound), dealing near fatal damage (fatal in higher dificulties) to one player, and the rage bar would then reset (prevents abusive kiting).

Pyramid head would be able to reflect part of the melee damage dealth to him as armor ignoring damage (In order to bring some damned balance to berserkers)

The boss would have a weak point in it's back in which he would recieve increased damage, and melee attacks to that area would not trigger damage reflection.

He should be added as an official mut, whitelisted of course, to be easily added or removed from a server.

just my view on it.
The reason why I thought it would be better if it could appear randomly is because it would add the element of surprise and excitement. After playing ~100 hours of killing floor, i felt it became predictable, and a grind to level up perks. ( But a really fun grind! :D)

I felt that the game needed a new element to keep players on their toes, and force players to invent new tactics. Not to mention I want this monster to instill FEAR in the player. I have pretty much lost all sense of fear playing killing floor. Maybe I'll panic once and a while? But no real FEAR. I want to be scared again. That's why I thought 1 hit KO's would be good, because it would make the player literally fear him.
Thats also why there is no rage bar, because of the 1 hit KO.

How about this:
-No unconditional KO Hits, but still deals a good amount of damage
-What if he was blind? He walked around the map aimlessly, not necessarily following players? But he could smell? So if you got to close he would stumble in your direction randomly swinging (his weapon, whatever it may be)?

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
Idea is interesting, but as it is defined now, it makes impossible to camp but in the same time has no effect against zerker team due to slow speed of this specimen. As I see it, in result we will get even more zerker+medic kitting teams on public servers, and I don't want this to happen.

Also I don't like uncertainty: I think it is ridiculous that one team can get Pyramid Head in early wave while another team can successfully fight though 9 waves and get this specimen in wave 10 along with 3 FPs. Imo Pyramid Head should appear only in certain waves (but then appear always or at least in 90% cases), e.g. wave 4 and wave 8 - cause they are boring, and this could make them interesting.

As I see it, it is not necessarily to kite - team can keep Pyramid Head behind welded door as well.
Maybe as an option, there should be randomly-chosen location on the map, where Pyramid Head dies by himself when walks into it. So team could not supposed to kite though an entire wave, but just lure Pyramid Head to that spot and then get back to camping.
Heres why I dont think it would be a problem on wave 10.

He has no rage bar. He is so slow its laughable. And with less than a 10% chance of appearing at all?

So let's say you get unlucky and he does appear. Then you'll be forced to move if he finds you. That's hard to do on wave 10, good thing he's so slow.

Your lost and alone and trying to find your way back to your team mates and you run into pyramid head. Well, guess your going to have to find a different way to get to your team mates, good thing you can outrun him easily.

So your camping in a spot with no exits? uh oh here he comes! Crap! What do we do? Well either you all waste your ammo on it and hope it dies, or someone sacrifices them self and everyone else escapes, or stun it with explosives and try to escape that way.

Also, I think it would be cool if he didn't break down welded doors.

Upvote 0
So your camping in a spot with no exits? uh oh here he comes! Crap! What do we do? Well either you all waste your ammo on it and hope it dies, or someone sacrifices them self and everyone else escapes, or stun it with explosives and try to escape that way.

Teams' fault if they knew he might come and they boxed themselves in a dead end. :p Take one for the team.

I do like this idea though. It would be easy to make him just wander without having "wallhax" like every other zed. That way camping will still be a viable strategy however if he happens to crash the party, it will shake things up a bit(Something that is sort of missing in wave based maps, its kind of monotonous.)

Upvote 0
Back in the summer I had a similar idea of a specimen wandering slowly around the map with very high HP, something to break up camping spots. It wouldn't have been so dangerous though, more of a pest than anything. Sadly it never came to fruition since a certain modeller I was working with wasn't interested in making it. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0