• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PPSh-41 Recoil

PPSh-41 Recoil

• PPSH-41 Recoil should be Lessened

Votes: 140 59.3%
  • PPSH-41 Recoil is Fine

Votes: 73 30.9%
  • PPSH-41 Recoil should be Increased

Votes: 23 9.7%

• Total voters
I lost a bunch of duels today on the new map Kreigstadt with my ppsh. Go to fire *zoing!* gun goes flying up in the sky and I die while the German kills me with his Kar, all while he simultaneously butters some bread and takes a bite out of it for some quick on the go energy. Rifles are better CQB weapons than smgs it seems. It's a hell of alot easier to just hipshoot with your rifle than it is to try and manipulate your mouse to "fight" your smg like it's some F16 fighter you are trying to manueuver. That's a big reason more people aren't attracted to RO because the smgs are crippled for their intended RL purpose. Resting they are good but that's not the crux of the issue. But yada yada

Upvote 0
:rolleyes:

Trust me, within 10 meters, if a rifle beats you, you are just failing as an SMGer.
My plan worked. I knew by making that statement somebody would say something like that. I can get kills with any weapon. I've made uncountable number of kills with the smgs either hipshooting or ironsited (not to mention rested). But the point is every encounter is AN ORDEAL with the smgs.

It's very tedious fighting the enemy while also "fighting" your own weapon. One that was suppossed (by most all accounts) to be considered an excellent weapon for close combat. Like when I'm running around with a ppsh I'm not thinking "oh boy I can't wait for some hapless rifleman to come around the corner so I can nail him" I'm thinking: "I hope I don't run into anyone because this weapon in my hands gives me no confidence in it's abilty to defend me on the move" (it's intended purpose). To a lesser extent all smgs & semi auto rifles have overdone recoil IMO. Semiauto rifles should have less recoil than normal rifles because semiautos are heavier+ they operate on a small portion of the bullets gas thus further softening recoil. *spins merry go round*

Upvote 0
My plan worked. I knew by making that statement somebody would say something like that. I can get kills with any weapon. I've made uncountable number of kills with the smgs either hipshooting or ironsited (not to mention rested). But the point is every encounter is AN ORDEAL with the smgs.

For you, maybe.

It isn't a good plan to open yourself up like that when you aren't presenting any facts or evidence - you are simply saying it is too hard for you to control with ease. PPSH control is one of the easiest things to master in this game... it requires virtually no accuracy, just the ability to hold MOUSE1 and drag your mouse down. :rolleyes:

And mat69, no, I don't see a problem with that. I'm sure that some people in the real Soviet army weren't very good with their weapons either.

Upvote 0
PPSH control is one of the easiest things to master in this game... it requires virtually no accuracy, just the ability to hold MOUSE1 and drag your mouse down. :rolleyes:
Not on my PC. Do you have some killer PC or an excellent mouse or something? My PC is nothing special merely adequate so maybe that factors in. I don't have a fancy game mouse I just have the one that initially came with my PC. I disassemble & clean it regularly. The sensitivity is set perfect for my tastes. It works 100% perfect but apparently not good enough to control the ppsh or I just don't know/understand how to pull down my mouse correctly while firing....anyway yada yada yada and on and on and on. I'm not sure there is a point (other than futile argueing) to these recoil discussion threads anymore. I fear RO is in "lockdown" mode in the weapon behavior department probably until the end of the games lifecycle.

Upvote 0
I average about 40-50 fps, and I have a Razr Copperhead mouse.

Dude, to be honest, if you are still using a ball mouse it's time to upgrade. :p

Even a cheap optical mouse is only 20 bucks.
Well I heard optical mouses aren't as accurate as ball kind so that's why I haven't bothered with one. PLus I don't want a bunch of BS software/bloatcrap and have to deal with fiddling with a bunch of menus/ "helper services" all that bull****. I like to keep things as simple as I can.

Upvote 0
[...]
And mat69, no, I don't see a problem with that. I'm sure that some people in the real Soviet army weren't very good with their weapons either.

And some people are blind and never can play RO.
If a weapon is designed to be easy controllable it should be easy controllable imo and well it is not easy controllable on my computer, it's the hardest to controll here and I avoid it at all cost, even on CQB maps.

Upvote 0
Well I heard optical mouses aren't as accurate as ball kind so that's why I haven't bothered with one. PLus I don't want a bunch of BS software/bloatcrap and have to deal with fiddling with a bunch of menus/ "helper services" all that bull****. I like to keep things as simple as I can.
That's nonsense. Imagine a mouse that always operates as accurate as a freshly cleaned ball mouse without having to deal with cleaning it all the time and you are imagining an optical mouse.
Even my 800dpi mouse back then was a huge step forward for me from my ball mouse (and my ball mouse was a good microsoft product. I had other ball mouses before, back in the days when optical mouses weren't the norm yet).

Now I use a razor diamondback with 1600dpi and its even better obviously. This isn't some pseudo-pro-gamer speaking ala "yeah, I need 150frames per second or else I can't turn fast enough to shot someone". The difference is definately feelable. If you have every tried to hit something small with your cursor (for example in a 3d program when selecting vertices or edges without zooming in too much, or in a 2d program like paint) you would know that its a pain. With an optical mouse its a lot easier, even with a 800dpi one. However you still "jump" a pixel or two with such a mouse so you often have to readjust it an shuffle a bit until you can hit that very spot.
With my 1600dpi mouse I never ever had that problem.

What you say about software is another thing to be carefull with as far as making assumptions goes. The installation for the official driver for my diamondback is admittedly messy. At least it was the last time I tried. I made it but I never found uch use for its extra functions like on-the-fly sensivity regulation etc.
But here is the suprising part: I did the installation WITH that very mouse.:D
Because it works perfectly fine right from the start. Just plug it in and it works. Just like an old ps2 ball mouse. For specials you don't even have in your ball mouse I presume you obviously need the driver (and most of them are a lot eaier to deal with than the diamondback one) but if you don't need these or they aren't worth the hassle for you, then simply don't use them.

I highly doubt that a new mouse is going to help you control the ppsh better. As you said, your mouse sensivity is set to a value that is perfect for you. You will have to adjust it so its the same for your new mouse if you get one, but you will still play with the same speed I assume, just I would do. The added accuracy and comfort doesn't help you then, because pulling down a raging ppsh isn't about acuracy, its about the right speed.

Nevertheless: Get a good optical mouse. Do yourself a favor. It is worth it.

Upvote 0
What that video shows the most that i would like changed is the muzzle flash. thats what the in game flash should look like. Not this big long lasting fireball that you lose your target behind. It just dosnt last long enough to really even notice it. Sure at night you would notice the flash but in the day time you wouldnt see much of anything its just too fast. that fraction of a second flash is very exagerated in the game.

Upvote 0
Wow, ive been gone a long time, and it seems we're on the same page. Hmmmmm, guess its all hopeless then. As for you diamondback and copperhead fellas, i'm sorry to say, but not everyone has that kind of money.
I don't know about the copperhead and I'm too lazy to check, but the diamondback shouldn't cost you much more than 20$ nowadays.

Upvote 0
It's very tedious fighting the enemy while also "fighting" your own weapon. One that was suppossed (by most all accounts) to be considered an excellent weapon for close combat. Like when I'm running around with a ppsh I'm not thinking "oh boy I can't wait for some hapless rifleman to come around the corner so I can nail him" I'm thinking: "I hope I don't run into anyone because this weapon in my hands gives me no confidence in it's abilty to defend me on the move" (it's intended purpose).

My feelings exactly, Quietus. It just does not feel rigt.

Upvote 0
You know, i was doing what you suggested and watching the muzzle, and well, simple logic tells me that that much barrel movement at 25 yards just doesnt translate into the spasmodic constellation pattern i see ingame. Hell, ive seen a smoothbore cannon(4lb i believe) do better than our PPSh at 100 yards.

Oh and, i just honestly can't believe this thread is still alive.

(That and that there isnt a single dev comment in it)

Upvote 0