• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Poll: Inverted Mouse

Poll: Inverted Mouse

• Inverted

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • Non-inverted

Votes: 153 82.7%

• Total voters
My first computer was a C64 and the first shooter game I can remember playing on it was Operation Wolf, where the joystick was always inverted.

So thats most likely the reason why I still do it this way in todays games.

When I got my first Windows PC*, I started with fps like Wolfenstein and then Doom later on. In these games a mouse was optional and shooting vertical was automated (Doom). I started using the mouse in Quake II and from then got used to it while following shooters had mouse aim as default.

Any devs around? Whats your favorite style?

486 sx25
2mb ram
40mb hard drive
14" CRC Monitor max res.: 800x600
no Mouse included
no CD-Rom Drive included
no Soundcard included

Upvote 0
Used inverted mouse back in 96 when quake 1 came out, and have done ever since. Pretty sure it was the default as well.

I used inverted when I first started FPS's, back when the people I knew all played with just the keyboard (doom, quake 1 and duke nukem 3d keyboard turning :D). I switched to normal sometime in early 2000, just because it feels a bit more intuitive and similar to desktop mousing.

Upvote 0
Like that? Thats an image I saw recently
gKS68.png

Depends how you think about it. If i'm controlling a camera I sometimes want it inverted. I think you might get used to the mouse movements better without switching between them though, so you get used to the movements when just mousing on the desktop

Upvote 0
Forgetting joysticks and flightsims for a bit,
If you hold your mouse with a locked arm and then look up and down using your body at the waist (as your character generally does in an fps) ,by letting that movement lead your arm you have reverse mouse.

I'm not arguing that makes it the right way but it might explain why it's a bit more intuitive than some may think.

I personally don't make the association with moving a mouse pointer on a screen because that doesn't represent a 1st person movement.

Reactions: Shadrach
Upvote 0
I agree that might be the case, but I doubt for the same reasons as yours - as you appear to be implying there's a disadvantage suffered by inverting your mouse.
I guess I'm missing something because i can't see a reason why that would be.

Unless you want it to be true simply because that's what you do, and you want to associate your choice with that of the best players around.
In which case, if you learnt that most actually play inverted, would you change?
I don't know what is better than the other, if any. I can only speculate. Same as I can only guess that pro gamers use less inverted. I would most likely not switch. Too much trouble for too little gain, if there would be any. I made my mind up about that loooong ago.

It feels 100% natural to me to have it non-inverted as that is how my mouse behaves everywhere (like in windows for instance). So I believe it is more likely that non-inverted is overall better than inverted, than the other way around. I don't think people think about how they want it, so there is really no reasoning by anyone but "it feels better".

Just to point out. Let's say it is better to have it non-inverted. That does not for sure make it a good idea to switch from inverted to non if you want to perform at your max.

Upvote 0
Well i can't see it making a big difference like say your sensitivity settings (which i might, if i can be bothered, learn to increase for quick turning)
The only possible thing might be if for argument's sake you were inherently more accurate when moving a mouse up than down (due i guess to how the arm works and your ability to control that motion)

In that case, a reverse player would be slightly more accurate making downward shots than upward, and vice-versa.
But this is really clutching at straws.

The only Pro player really know of (cos he's blatantly the most famous) i understand uses reverse mouse, and apparently a lot of older players did.
I imagine far less competitive players if any do nowadays simply for the same reasons as everyoine else.
They started later and as newer players without the influences of old, why would they flip the mouse the first time the play an fps?

Upvote 0
I often saw the invert functions in some games and thought how
crazy the devs are, that they add such a invert function.
Mouse forward + moving crosshair up, for my part thats the only
people uses their mouse, that not beeing witches ;)

Everyone should do it his own way, but seriously, i think using the
Y axis inverted is a reason why some guys out there sucks so much
at games like RO.

Does inverters hits more then 2 Targets per round, are there any
good players with inverted mouse controlls???
I cant believe that :D

Upvote 0
I don't know what is better than the other, if any. I can only speculate. Same as I can only guess that pro gamers use less inverted. I would most likely not switch. Too much trouble for too little gain, if there would be any. I made my mind up about that loooong ago.

It feels 100% natural to me to have it non-inverted as that is how my mouse behaves everywhere (like in windows for instance). So I believe it is more likely that non-inverted is overall better than inverted, than the other way around. I don't think people think about how they want it, so there is really no reasoning by anyone but "it feels better".

Just to point out. Let's say it is better to have it non-inverted. That does not for sure make it a good idea to switch from inverted to non if you want to perform at your max.

It makes no difference at all, it is simply a personal preference.

Why do people these days feel the need to convince themselves that one method must be better than another? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It makes no difference at all, it is simply a personal preference. ...
Source of the scientific survey or whatever proving this?

...Why do people these days feel the need to convince themselves that one method must be better than another? :rolleyes:
Why do people these days feel the need to convince themselves that other people feel the need to convince themselves that one method must be better than another? :rolleyes:

Sorry to break it to you buddy, but it's just called "people interested in the truth", no matter what it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0