• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Please, dont save **** in "Documents and Settings"

Take it up with Microsoft and their crappy localization?

Localization is certainly a problem, but not everything is because of it.

And while those problems exist, its much easier to avoid bull****, by just having a save folder within the game directory, as it had always been.

Besides, I'm hardly the only person in the world with a localized Windows, I think that more people use a localized version than not.

Is it Microsoft's fault? yes, but some insignificant rant to Microsoft is certainly not gonna solve our problems, as its not gonna make it remove that folder from their OS, and wont make all devs to store their **** in different folders within Documents and settings either.

This is not a matter of "taking it up" with anyone, this is just preventing a problem. Asking TWI to keep their stuff organized in the game directory is much more plausible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, but in linux they are consistent about it.

Yeah, and that is exactly the problem, if all games saved to the same place, or rather, subfolders of the same master folder, and used consistant naming schemes for thouse subfolders, this would be no big problem (i would still prefer to have my saves in the game dir, but this i could deal with), or better still, just bloody well asked me where i want it to go or for what user when i install, there would be no real problem.

But they don't, they throw them around seemingly at random on Windows, and i never even know what user profile they end up under, let alone where they go or what i should search for to find the bloody thing (this is made especially impossible when they just call the subfolder a random string of numbers!), it's a giant mess, there is no organization in any of it, no clear rules for where things go or what they will be called, and it's just plain in a stupid place, that requires way to many clicks to get there (if you must keep stuff in some kind of central hub, then make the bloody hub easy to get to!).

It's a terrible system, because there is none, it's just a huge cluster****, and it shoulden't even be needed on most systems, because most users out there do not run multiple profiles on their PC, unless they are in the unfortunate position of sharing a PC between several people (and even then, they are just as likely to just share one profile).

And don't even get me started on games that require Mods to be installed there, like UT3 did, that was just retarded.. most of us keep our games on a sepperate and large drive, because games have allways been big, and have only gotten bigger, and now we need to dump half of them to the C: drive too?

Upvote 0
and case-in-point, from the first page:

But at least they could use some consistency.
Like putting all games related stuff to "MyGames".
But what you get is: "game1-folder/mygames/My games/publisher1/publisher_1"...
In short, an epic mess.

and from my starcraft 2 replays...

:IS2:

Attachments

• long file directories.jpg
    long file directories.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
So it's down to:

Cons:
- It fills my PC with crap
- I don't like it
- Too many folders

Pros:
- Easier to backup
- Easier to find (at least for some of us)
- Benefits multi-user systems
- Generally the current trend (so certain file locations are predictable)

I can't really say much more here. Within 3 clicks I can be viewing a game's .ini file or screenshots folder. Not only would having to trudge through a game's root directory be much more tedious, it would mean having none of the pros above.

Upvote 0
So it's down to:

Cons:
- It fills my PC with crap
- I don't like it
- Too many folders

Pros:
- Easier to backup
- Easier to find (at least for some of us)
- Benefits multi-user systems
- Generally the current trend (so certain file locations are predictable)

I can't really say much more here. Within 3 clicks I can be viewing a game's .ini file or screenshots folder. Not only would having to trudge through a game's root directory be much more tedious, it would mean having none of the pros above.

All your pros except the third one are in direct contradiction with the cons.

EDIT: I just went to all the hassle of taking screenshots and putting together an example of what this BS directory looks like. (And this is just a tiny fraction of all the **** I've got there)

Spoiler!

Now, tell me how is that easy to find, backup or organize. Just **** all over the place.

EDIT 2: Crap, forgot to take samples from "All users"

Last edited:
Upvote 0