• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Playing without music really changes to tone of the game

Deathgrip22

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2015
Playing without music really changes to tone of the game

Yeah I know that should be obvious, playing with no music would be different, but I was surprised how much of an atmospheric change I felt it created

The little sounds zeds make, scurrying crawlers, gorefasts clanking their blades on the ground, the squeaking of the siren's suit, the "wah!" sounds all the Clots make as they approach

The dialogue, feels a bit less overly cheery or cheeky, and more like they're trying to break a tension of dread

The FP/SC howls feel a lot less out of place, like a part of ambient background noise

Game feels just a lot more serious somehow, which is weird, cause it's killing floor

What do u think?

I turn music off in everything I play.

reason for this is because music playing isn't natural unless you are the one playing it. (mp3 player, walkman, pipboy)

for some reason when music plays out of no where I feel it's like some kind of musical(high school musical, Hairspray, Grease)

in a game like KF2 no music sets a darker tone than even death metal playing. at least in my mind it does..

Upvote 0
I turn music off in everything I play.

reason for this is because music playing isn't natural unless you are the one playing it. (mp3 player, walkman, pipboy)

for some reason when music plays out of no where I feel it's like some kind of musical(high school musical, Hairspray, Grease)

in a game like KF2 no music sets a darker tone than even death metal playing. at least in my mind it does..

If the music is good it can add to the tone. Killing floor isn't meant to be a horror game, while the story is presented like that, you're not supposed to feel like you're playing a horror game while playing it.

Upvote 0
If the music is good it can add to the tone. Killing floor isn't meant to be a horror game, while the story is presented like that, you're not supposed to feel like you're playing a horror game while playing it.

The KFMod music is really great though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSYHDRD0NIo&list=PL3WxEVUYB3kqnZVQOtomti-ApVxqucmlA&index=11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4TAmQJrLGQ&list=PL3WxEVUYB3kqnZVQOtomti-ApVxqucmlA&index=12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SKlTMBaTU4&list=PL3WxEVUYB3kqnZVQOtomti-ApVxqucmlA&index=14

One of the songs wasn't included on youtube, so here it is on puush: http://puu.sh/koKIs/135a2a75ae.ogg

I'm probably going to do a music replacement in the future.

Upvote 0
Without music it's especially noticeable how Tripwire recycled the Gorefast's sounds for the Crawler and just racked the pitch up :D

Is not possible! Why would our hard working developers decide to do something as ridiculous as that? I mean, come on. If you've seen the videos on youtube, you'd know that they are COMPLETELY different ;)

I love how you are the only guy that commented on "Insect". Let me give you a hand.

People don't usually comment on ost's, they rather listen. Unless if it's something famous like g..g..that ****ing dude in street fighter with that blonde hair and american tatoos and ****. His theme or whatever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
People don't usually comment on ost's, they rather listen. Unless if it's something famous like g..g..that ****ing dude in street fighter with that blonde hair and american tatoos and ****. His theme or whatever.

Guille's theme? And yeah, most people do not comment on any kind of soundtrack unless it's either purely nostalgic or just too damn good.

Also, apologies for not adding english subtitles to the video you may have watched. It was mostly directed to my friends.

Upvote 0
Totally agree with OP. While I haven't touched KF2 in this manner, I played Half-Life 1 back in the day on a friend's computer (I'm guessing it was a pirated copy since it didn't have any music at all).

I remember feeling immersed the entire time through as if I was playing a "serious" game. The feeling never left me.

Then I decided to revisit it many years later when I got my own PC and Steam and was FLOORED by how different of an aesthetic the game had. It felt so weird and I couldn't stop raising my eyebrow at it.

I eventually got used to it but man, they essentially felt like two different games.

In the end, music is absolutely a great thing but I always emphasize that silence is just as important (regardless of the medium you're working on).

Addendum: While I don't have references, I remember hearing talks about the value of silence to the human mind. I'm paraphrasing but it was something along the lines of allowing things to be "put in its place instead" as well as another article about allowing the brain to better remember events that transpired.

The latter article I think was referencing Battlefield vs Call of Duty and how CoD didn't do as good of a job in the audio department of allowing the player to "absorb what just happened" and instead barraged them with non-stop action (again, I'm paraphrasing heavily here).

Perhaps the Trader waves in KF1/2 serve a much grander purpose than simply allowing the player to restock their munitions?

Upvote 0
This game has one of the worst soundtracks.
Does anyone have a modded file that would just replace all tracks with music from KF1 ? Or actual good classic stuff we can all enjoy instead of something this one guy from Tripwire (and nobody else) likes?

I'd also love an option to turn off hans voice permanently. But hey, we still dont have a proper kick vote, raw mouse input or option to have same sensitivity for ADS, or option to disable auto weapon pickup, or option to actually assign all tools and weapons to individual buttons :mad:

or even an option to assign weapon toggle key like Q in counter strike (and this was asked back in pre-release stress test by many). I honestly don't see Tripwire giving a damn about community feedback, these things are so simple to implement, all it takes is Tripwire giving a f**k which they don't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I finally got around to playing The Last of Us, and that game was all about listening to the environment. A silent corridor in that game is creepier than the actual combat with zombies. The anticipation of horror is just as important as the horror, which is why I think the fp and scrake roars ruin the surprise. I'm interested to try it without music now, especially since it's mostly christian buttrock and kiddie deathcore with whiny clean vocals.

Upvote 0