• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pistols and cone of fire

I hope there is no cone of fire and that you shoot where you aim, taking gravity and wind into account.
With a pistol you really don't have to take gravity and wind into account that much.

IMO a WW2 pistol using actual WW2 ammo should have a spread of roughly 10'' diameter at 50m. Remember, those things were neither match pistols nor was the ammo hand-load quality.

Upvote 0
My Luger would like to have a word with you :cool:
I'm not saying that they aren't accurate (my old, beat up, rusty '43 P-38, when using hand loaded ammo was one of the most accurate pistols I've ever seen), yet especially the triggers are NOT match grade in any way and usage in the field is going to give you way less accurate results than using them on the range and concentrating to exactly hit the trigger release point.

Upvote 0
They require at last 10x more pull-force than a match pistol.

But that isn't even my point, my point was that one simply can't expect WW2 pistols shooting WW2 ammo being as accurate as a match pistol with hand-loaded ammo.
A military pistol is designed with safety in mind means the trigger will be heavier to reduce accidental discharges. This really isn't as much of a concern for a target pistol meant for primarily shooting at paper. With that said, the P38 has combat accuracy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A military pistol is designed with safety in mind means the trigger will be heavier to reduce accidental discharges. This really isn't as much of a concern for a target pistol meant for primarily shooting at paper. With that said, the P38 has combat accuracy.

O rly?

I owned a P-38 myself, and have shot a couple of different P-1's as well, big deal. The thing I'm talking about is not a specific weapon, I'm talking about people confusing today's accuracy of rifles/pistols with WW2 accuracy.

I probably don't have to tell you how crap nearly all ammo produced by any major power was back then. While a Kar98k might be damn accurate with nice and clean factory ammo, or even hand-loaded match ammunition, sh*tty ammunition will cause it to have a spread of ca. 1-2m at 100m.

My original point was that people simply shouldn't confuse the accuracy of a modern pistol and modern ammo with the accuracy of a WW2 pistol firing WW2 ammo. And people certainly won't be able to replicate the ability of a competition shooter calmly using a special match pistol and hand-loaded rounds with a WW2 pistol that probably hasn't been cleaned since the last bombardment, firing sh*tty WW2 ammo all the while being in the most brutal combat environment the world has ever seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldih
Upvote 0
O rly?

I owned a P-38 myself, and have shot a couple of different P-1's as well, big deal. The thing I'm talking about is not a specific weapon, I'm talking about people confusing today's accuracy of rifles/pistols with WW2 accuracy.

I probably don't have to tell you how crap nearly all ammo produced by any major power was back then. While a Kar98k might be damn accurate with nice and clean factory ammo, or even hand-loaded match ammunition, sh*tty ammunition will cause it to have a spread of ca. 1-2m at 100m.

My original point was that people simply shouldn't confuse the accuracy of a modern pistol and modern ammo with the accuracy of a WW2 pistol firing WW2 ammo. And people certainly won't be able to replicate the ability of a competition shooter calmly using a special match pistol and hand-loaded rounds with a WW2 pistol that probably hasn't been cleaned since the last bombardment, firing sh*tty WW2 ammo all the while being in the most brutal combat environment the world has ever seen.

Hope you dont mind me off topicing this here post lemon but could you describe a bit about your p38/p1 experience? A local store has series 1 P1's in for a good deal and I am considering getting one. By series 1 I mean the models with thinner slides and no steel cross hex bolt.

Upvote 0
Hope you dont mind me off topicing this here post lemon but could you describe a bit about your p38/p1 experience? A local store has series 1 P1's in for a good deal and I am considering getting one. By series 1 I mean the models with thinner slides and no steel cross hex bolt.
S1 P-1's have the nasty habbit of rupturing the slide, so unless you don't plan to shoot it a lot I'd rather go with a P-38 or a late P-1.

Overall the rusty, old and beat up '43 P-38 (all parts matching with WaA stamps) with the half rusty barrel (last third of barrel had deep rust marks, rifling still sharp as heck though) was the most accurate pistol I've ever seen in my life. Me and a friend of mine actually bought a pistol calibration frame to test accuracy, my P-38 beat everything, ranging from a brand new P-99 to a beat up M1911. I suspect that it was a attic or cellar discovery.

Once you get past the horrible trigger it's one of the finest pistols IMO, but beware of the lh brass ejection! :D

There are a couple of nice conversation kits for the P-1 though, especially .22LR for plinking fun and getting a feel for the trigger.

Upvote 0
I hope there is no cone of fire and that you shoot where you aim, taking gravity and wind into account.

No, a little conefire (and i stress "little") is realistic, firearms are not laser accurate, the gyroscopic spin that is applied to the projectile by the rifled barrel is key to a firearms accuracy, but that spin is going to slow down as the projectile travels, and it's accuracy will degrade over time as a result, so there will allways be some random spread at range (and ofcourse, there's many other factors involved too, weight and velocity of the projectile, quality of the ammo, yadda yadda yadda).

Now that said, Conefire as coded in games is not ideal to replicate this, because it draws a direct line from the muzzle to the point of impact, or rather, it's inaccurate from the very moment it leaves the barrel, whereas in reality, it should start out great and then gradually get worse as it travels.

But coding it that way might be too much for servers/systems to handle, bullets travel quite fast, and if they constantly had to be corrected along their path of travel, well, that would be quite a lot of math to throw at the CPU in a short amount if time, every single time someone shoots, i'm not really sure if current tech would be up to the task in a war game with tons of shooting going on, let alone an MP one.

Upvote 0