• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pistoleer Perk

What I meant by that sentence is "why a SS would use pistols when he can use other weapons he also gets bonuses for?".

Handguns have the advantage of being lightweight, easy to use, usually fast to reload, and have a moderate rate of fire. Some can have an astounding raw power ( S&W .500 please), others can focus on fire rate, and so on.

Pistoleer would be exceptionally versatile, but in a different way. They would be able to keep a constant shower of bullets, and profit from ZED-time in a whole different way.

Upvote 0
I got an idea to imply the special ability of gunslinger.

Use the middle mouse button to change between firing one or two gun at the same time. If firing two, then reload interrupts firing, but if one, the after the left one is dry, the right one started firing, etc

The difficult thing is what is the animation of reloading with 1 hand while keeping the other hand somewhat steady for firing. And believable.

Upvote 0
wolfdust, wrong thread to b!tch about SS. search and you'll find two still open to discuss it there. but since you brought it up, 9mm headshots are in fact the #1 cause for the SS overpopulation. here's why:

you only need 700 headshots for level3. using the 9mm, at 100 headshots using the per map, SS can get to a level3 in 7 maps playing on long, beginner and have the clot mutator on......... at level3 a SS already has a 75% recoil reduction, 40% price discount, 30% faster reload and 30% more damage. the ability for players to quickly level their SS perk and in turn purchase tier 3 weapons early and often is the reason for the overpopulation, not in quality but quantity. notice the levels of the "m14 spamming SS" as most are sub level4. once they can get enough of a price discount, they can get the m14 and spam, but they're not getting any headshots which is keeping their level low. ;)

9mm headshots are why leveling is so easy for the SS perk and therefore the direct cause of so many players using the SS perk. :cool:

i will challenge anyone to play a map with me on suicidal, just find me on steam some time. i will show you just how effective the 9mm is as a level6 SS. thing is, the 9mm shouldn't be linked to the SS, just like SCAR or Shotgun headshots are not alloted to the SS. for that reason, there should be a perk that's specially designed for the handguns.

Upvote 0
Gunslinger:

Lvl 0:
10% more dmg w/ 9mm, HC, etc
10% faster reload w/ 9mm HC, etc
10% bloat bile res
Can't be grabbed by Clots

Lvl 1:
20% more dmg w/ 9mm, HC, etc
20% faster reload w/ 9mm HC, etc
25% bloat bile res
10% discount on 9mm, HC

Lvl 2:
30% more dmg w/ 9mm, HC, etc
30% faster reload w/ 9mm HC, etc
35% bloat bile res
20% discount on 9mm, HC
Can change between akimbo and normal pistols w/ alt-fire

Lvl 3:
40% more dmg w/ 9mm, HC, etc
40% faster reload w/ 9mm HC, etc
50% bloat bile res
5% faster movement speed
30% discount on 9mm, HC
Can change between akimbo and normal pistols/sub-machineguns w/ alt-fire

Lvl 4:
40% more dmg w/ 9mm, HC, etc
50% faster reload w/ 9mm HC, etc
65% bloat bile res
10% faster movement speed
40% discount on 9mm, HC

Lvl 5:
50% more dmg w/ 9mm, HC, etc
60% faster reload w/ 9mm HC, etc
75% bloat bile res
15% faster movement speed
50% discount on 9mm, HC
Spawns w/ akimbo 9mms

Lvl 6:
60% more dmg w/ 9mm, HC, etc
70% faster reload w/ 9mm HC, etc
80% bloat bile res
20% faster movement speed
60% discount on 9mm, HC
Spawns w/ akimbo HCs

Role: Something like the berserker, since he's pretty inaccurate, w/ dualies and can run fast (and has bloat res, haha) he should be a close quarter combatant (surprising, isn't it?)

New weapons could be the forementioned G18 the Colt Anaconda or Sub-Machineguns like Mp5k.

What ya think?:rolleyes:
faster reload, bloat resistance, more movement speed? lets call this perk sharpshooter 2.

Upvote 0
What about addin a holster option?

Stores your pistols somewhere in a pistol holder thingie and makes u run even faster than with a knife :D

EDIT

Lvl 6 Gunslinger:

60% more dmg with all pistols
50% faster reload with all pistols
15% HP/Armor capacity boost
30% more chance for decapitation
50% less recoil with all pistols
15% extra headshot damage with pistols
10% speed bonus when carrying a pistol
Up to 2 ZED- time extensions

:p
P.S The hp and armor boost= 115 hp/115 armor max

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My take on the build for bonuses and whatnot:

Stun shots: Every enemy can be stunned. The Gunslinger's pistols would (of course) do more damage, but he could also have a higher chance to stun. Say a wave of 10 clots were coming in towards you; the Gunslinger could pop off a shot at each of them and the ones that don't get killed get stopped in their tracks.

Penetrating bullets: Yes, just like Support. There are copies of abilities among all the perks (faster run speed, bloat resistance, etc.

Siren resistance: It's the only resistance that hasn't really been brought into play. Gunslingers could start off with taking reduced siren damage and eventually not even have their crosshairs shake.

Whatever TW comes up with will be good, I'm sure. I'd really love to see this perk so I can John Woo some Zeds! :p

Upvote 0
handcannons can penetrate already but the siren resistance is a good idea. the holser idea is also pretty good. i for one actually prefer 1 handcannon/9mm to dual wielded simply because you are more accurate using the sights with one gun at a time. i only use dual handcannons for close support to pump in a lot of lead if you're getting overrun. i'd rather holster one or two handguns and use them individually until they're out of ammo.

still a good idea for a perk. takes something away from SS that they shouldn't have and gives handguns the respect that they deserve.

Upvote 0
About fast pistol reload: YouTube - Fast reloading

Btw, theres my suggestion for the perk abilities:
1. Movements speed isnt affected while using pistols (as in, he moves as fast w pistols as he would with knife out)
2. No screenshake on Siren screams (Maybe a slight damage reduction too on later levels)
3. Each bullet fired from pistols have a chance of making the specimen bleed over time (eg. 0% chance from start, but increases with 5% each level). Of course wouldnt work on Patriarch, like the flamer used to..

The siren thingy was from Ihmhi, and I support the idea.

Of course discounts and increase on damage and reload speed too should be added. Maybe even spawn with a handcannon on lvl 4, dual handcannons on lvl 5 and a magnum on lvl 6 (if they were about to add such a weapon). Wouldnt spawn with an armor?

I just want some unique skills, rather than ripoffs from the other perks.

Upvote 0
well, as a SS using your 100+ rounds of 9mm ammo to headshot (and instakill) clots, gorefasts, crawlers and stalkers tends to work out pretty well. who needs a "proper" rifle against 80% of the zeds when you've got a 9mm? any competent sharpshooter knows the power of the 9mm ;)

handguns in KF are outstanding. the problem is that right now, the only perk benefitting from them are sharpshooters and they already have a low tier and a high tier rifle as well as a crossbow. the headshot power applied to the 9mm really isn't a major issue as headshots are the specialty of the SS, but the ability to level using it is a major problem. every perk has a 9mm yet it's only worth something to one perk.

if a pistoleer was added, then handguns would have their rightful place in the game.

Upvote 0
My question would have been, "What could you realistically do with knives that you couldn't do much better with proper rifles?"

Your answers imply the guy with the knife is even realistically able to damage a zed with a knife. How tough do you think it really would be to cut a zed's head off in 1 clean stroke?

The point is this game is far from realistic. It has some accurate elements, but there is no way in hell you're going to argue against pistols being supported because it wouldn't be "realistic." Ammo and reloading have nothing to do with it.

If you're going to ask that question you might as well do so with every other weapon in the game already.

Upvote 0
My question would have been, "What could you realistically do with knives that you couldn't do much better with proper rifles?"

Your answers imply the guy with the knife is even realistically able to damage a zed with a knife. How tough do you think it really would be to cut a zed's head off in 1 clean stroke?

As I said, melee weapons can cause more grievous wounds without using ammo. That's what they do better. An axe to the chest? Chainsaw to the gut?

The point is this game is far from realistic.

I find everything in the game except for the Zeds quite realistic, especially the weapons.

It has some accurate elements, but there is no way in hell you're going to argue against pistols being supported because it wouldn't be "realistic." Ammo and reloading have nothing to do with it.

If you're going to ask that question you might as well do so with every other weapon in the game already.

Not really, every other weapon in the game is already implemented. The question remains: What could a pistoleer perk realistically bring to the table? Will it just be a Commando/Support hybrid that uses pistols as a primary weapon?

Upvote 0
What could you realistically do with pistols that you couldn't do much better with proper rifles?

Dual wielding.
High damage, low ammo, zero accuracy (unless you know where the center of the screen is), (potentially) rapid fire stuff with not as much spread as shotguns.

Single pistol.
High damage, low ammo, precise, piercing (cept for 9mm) shots.

What the perk could do that no other perk can, I have said already:

Gunslinger/Pistoleer/whatever:

lv6:
(usual stuff)
30% more dmg w/ 9mm, HC, etc
50% faster reload w/ 9mm HC, etc
50% more ammo w/ 9mm HC, etc (not to be confused with 'increased clip size' cause that would break into the commandos domain too much)
40% less recoil w/ 9mm HC, etc
50% better penetration w/HC, etc
Spawns with dual handcannons

(what makes him special)
Has autofire with dualies (so they're good for something)
Higher chance to trigger ZED time when killing something with pistols (cause dualies are meant to be fired in slow motion. Not to be confused with 'zed time extentions')
+50% damage with pistols during ZED time (Because guns fired in slow motion are 50% more awesome!)

Role: Having a ZED time more often which can then be extended by berserkers/commandos at the cost of not being able to aim at all with dualies (unless you know where the center of the screen is).
Also finally giving dualies a good reason to exist and being able to take out trash zeds as well as higher level zeds with well placed piercing shots but having somewhat limited ammo (150 shots with handcannon, less with whatever tier 3 pistol).

He would basically be the guy who lines zeds up to take multiple of them down with 1 single shot which is, unlike shotguns, precise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0