• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Petition to stop farming bots!!

TheMarshal

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2014
I know its a horse beaten to death, but botfarming has to stop. Right now or at peak hours there are over 1500 players online and most of them are only hunting bots. This makes the game die, most of the servers that are hosting custom maps and try to support the community are empty and other servers are full of bots with a hand full of players on. Pls TWI if you dont do something against this mess the game will die. At least you should reduce the amount of points for each kill (0,2 points or 0,3 not more).
Guys its boring to play against some dump headless chicken bots.

Last edited:
I know its a horse beaten to death, but botfarming has to stop. Right now or at peak hours there are over 1500 players online and most of them are only hunting bots. This makes the game die, most of the servers that are hosting custom maps and try to support the community are empty and other servers are full of bots with a hand full of players on. Pls TWI if you dont do something against this mess the game will die. At least you should reduce the amount of points for each kill (0,2 points or 0,3 not more).
Guys its boring to play against some dump headless chicken bots.

Whether this is true or not, that's what you get when you put leveling up and item unlock mechanics into an FPS. Somebody should point this out to Tripwire!!! (sarcasm). Stupid thing is, if they just played the game with human beans they'd enjoy it more and level up just as quick.:p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Simply throw the leveling and all those who can't live without leveling overboard.

The very first thing I missed in RO2 was that I couldn't de-/attach my bayonet in the field as I pleased. If you get the gun with bayonet in the selection menu it's welded to the weapon, no chance to ever get it of again.

Tripwire should simply work together with Dibbler and his boys.
They are doing an excellent job bringing back the charm of RO CA and RO Ostfront.
Make a joint venture and rebirth Classic Mode.

Upvote 0
Logic dictates that if that many players are farming bots all the time, then obviously they want to. At least they're still playing the game.

You can't control how other people play the game or their reasons for wanting to play the game..... Nor should you.

Stick to the servers you like and stick to the type of gameplay you enjoy. Let others do the same.

Would you like me to make a "petition" that attempts to force you into playing nothing but Apartments on Action Mode all the time?

Didn't think so.

It's not up to Tripwire to control how server admins run their own paid servers. Most of these admins have found that removing bots from their servers makes their servers empty out from the few players they had. One admin in these forums said he'd try it for 24 hours a while back.... the next day he put them back on because he had the worst player record on his server he ever had once they were removed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Remember the achievements in RO1. There had to be at least 12 people in the server before you were able to be rewarded with an achievement.

That would have been somewhat of a solution if you only got level up points in a match with 12 plus people.

Back to RO1 I think one of the hardest achievements was the one where you had to get in and take every capzone of a map and do it with only one life. And win the match !

Upvote 0
Remember the achievements in RO1. There had to be at least 12 people in the server before you were able to be rewarded with an achievement.

That would have been somewhat of a solution if you only got level up points in a match with 12 plus people.

Back to RO1 I think one of the hardest achievements was the one where you had to get in and take every capzone of a map and do it with only one life. And win the match !

Agree. TWI should consider this.

Upvote 0
I think people should play as they please. There are more than enough servers full at the right hours, EU in my case.

You saying it's boring is your own opinion so I don't know how that's relevant. The game is very much alive and I have fun playing with almost the same people ~ everyday. All the freeweekends and such have injected some new blood into the game. Obviously probably max ~5% of those people still play as this isnt a game that really appeals to the masses, but as long as there are servers up and people to play with I'm fine.

Upvote 0
I don't disagree with you Diavolo222 in terms of letting people enjoy as they please, however the greatest games are never like that. Great enduring games are successful not because they spoon feed players but because they challenge them to be awesome. Saying that I refer to a game that does not require a remake every second year.

Red Orchestra 1 appealed to many because of its steep learning curve. When it was released all those years ago the kids just couldn't deal with it as they needed cross hairs and rabbit hopping twitchyness. Times have changed.

I believe if RO2 was developed in the same spirit as RO1 it would have been a greater success but that is the past because the horse has bolted.

Back to player ranking. It is pretty meaningless as it really doesn't distinguish experienced players from those that bot farmed their way up. TWI could have made a lot of coin by letting people just buy their way to better equipment.

Maybe with RO3 a different approach will be made.

Upvote 0

Lowers the incentive to seed empty servers.

Bottom line is all the best shooters - Ro included - never needed levelling/unlocks - they were played cos they offered variety, challenge and .
were genuinely interesting and fun to play.

If you're going to add a crap levelling system as a artificial addictive hook, expect crap methods of overcoming it, as well as it's crap effects on the player base and behavior in game.

I imagine ppl who level against bots wish the system wasn't there in the first place, finding the whole thing a chore - but one they have to suffer to be competitive on the occasions they play.

Upvote 0
Logic dictates that if that many players are farming bots all the time, then obviously they want to. At least they're still playing the game.

You can't control how other people play the game or their reasons for wanting to play the game..... Nor should you.

Stick to the servers you like and stick to the type of gameplay you enjoy. Let others do the same.

Would you like me to make a "petition" that attempts to force you into playing nothing but Apartments on Action Mode all the time?

Didn't think so.

It's not up to Tripwire to control how server admins run their own paid servers. Most of these admins have found that removing bots from their servers makes their servers empty out from the few players they had. One admin in these forums said he'd try it for 24 hours a while back.... the next day he put them back on because he had the worst player record on his server he ever had once they were removed.
Ok. I give you the supply/demand logic. Obviously a lot of players want it.
On another note many players cheat. Does that make cheats okay? Nope. I agree it should be targeted on what most players like but I doubt anyone knows it.

Reasons against botfarming:
1. A lot of players botfarming makes it look less bad for players who wouldnt do it if it was less common. Botfarmers draw other players to farm too. Especially if it gives you an advantage. I dont steal but in a society where everyone steals why not do it yourself too? Remember the era of copying music?

2. What you wrote is right. If other servers have bots servers without bots are worse of. No one can say what would happen otherwise though. Now they have competetion what if not? What if everyone has zero bots?

3. Tripwire(!) can and does control the way the game is playerd. We should not try to control it just by our own feelings of right and wrong. Its a majority thing and Tripwires will. But as wrote above, having bots in the game DOES control how we play the game just as much as removing them would.

Upvote 0
2. What you wrote is right. If other servers have bots servers without bots are worse of. No one can say what would happen otherwise though. Now they have competetion what if not? What if everyone has zero bots?
i can already see that some servers would never fill up... atleast not quick... you'd just see in the server list "No players" and without bots... would you really like to stand on a map completely alone until there is a slight chance that people join? "Oh hey... there is a single player on... that will be fun 1 on 1... we can replay Enemy at the Gates!"... with the bots you atleast have something for target practicing and it is, i guess, more likely that more people will join if it doesn't become a 1 on 1... sure it might be funny for 2 excellent snipers to hunt each other through a big map... but if one is a excellent sniper and the other only decent... yeah funny... or you'd have to gather an amount of players which makes playing fun first so that it's more likely that other players join... and not everyone is e.g. here on the Forum...

Upvote 0
I think most people are no longer against bot but that's a different argument to bot farming.

I guess it depends on how players perceive achievements. You might come across a player that is level 95 and you might think they must be an experienced player. Not necessarily if they bot farmed the majority the way up to that level.

Upvote 0
Ok. I give you the supply/demand logic. Obviously a lot of players want it.
On another note many players cheat. Does that make cheats okay? Nope. I agree it should be targeted on what most players like but I doubt anyone knows it.

Cheats, exploits and hacks are not designed to be in the game by default and not added into the game by the developers.

Bots being on servers are designed and work as intended by the developers, therefore your above example does not match up.

Reasons against botfarming:
1. A lot of players botfarming makes it look less bad for players who wouldnt do it if it was less common. Botfarmers draw other players to farm too. Especially if it gives you an advantage. I dont steal but in a society where everyone steals why not do it yourself too? Remember the era of copying music?

The era of copying music still exists.

And sorry, but bot farming isn't stealing. I don't need to bot farm as I have pretty much everything unlocked, however I still prefer to play on low populated servers most of the time. From my personal experience, most players who join in are not specifically bot farming as they don't join my side or stack one side, they pick a team that is uneven to balance, they fight me and they fight the bots. When I pick them off, I don't hear them bickering and moaning that I'm ruining their bot farming.

I think I encountered one person who complained I ruined their bot farming, but I just laughed and kept killing them.

The reasons for people joining bot servers vary.

Upvote 0
Yes that might happen.
But do you join servers with 1-2 botfarmers?? :confused:
i dont think thats how servers fill up!?
I almost always pick the same 3-4 servers when I play, and 3 of those servers are almost always empty when I join. I play the bots for a bit, then the usual crowd shows up. By the time the map changes, there's usually at least 15 or so players on the server and most of the bots are gone.

If I see a server with just 1-2 players and a bunch of bots, I'm usually inclined to join.

Why?

Not because I want to bot farm, because as I said, I already have everything maxed out.

I join in order to help the population and eventually gain more people.

If by chance they are trying to bot farm and don't really want to play the game, then I come in and ruin their day.... win win for me. When I join these servers, I specifically pick the side that has the least amount of real players and I specifically target the human players while I kill bots in between waiting for them to spawn back.

Everybody has their own interests in playing the game. There are plenty of people joining the heavily populated servers, so they don't need me.... I join the lower populated servers to make things interesting.

Even if a server only gains a total of 5-6 real players and the rest are bots, that's still more than enough players to make the game interesting and a challenge.

Bots and Human players have their own little quirks when playing against them.

When you're playing nothing but humans, you have a certain frame of mind set for combating them. Humans will usually try not to do the same thing twice if it kills them and will often change classes to get the upper hand, but there are certain traits to human players that you can predict what they will try and do next and drop them before they can get the upperhand.

When you're playing nothing but bots, you have a different frame of mind and with their bot reflexes of head shotting you before they even turn around, you need different tactics. They can do stupid and very predictable things, but they can also drop you faster than a human could and they can melee insta-kill you before you have a chance to know what's going on.

However, when you have a server mixed with real players and bots, things get really interesting because you then have to use both the above frames of mind at the same time and that can be very difficult. You can be targeting a bunch of bots and suddenly the humans pick you off because you stayed in one spot for far too long and made too much nois. If you target the humans and find a nice spot that would typically take a human a long time to figure out, you can easily be picked off by a hipshooting bot from halfway across the map. The humans can distract you from the bots coming at you, and the bots can distract you from the humans flanking your position.

Upvote 0