• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Perk progression disabled as of update 1007

There is no such thing as perks being locked. Sure they are locked from being updated to steam servers, but serverperks worked because it completely replaces ALL of the perks with custom ones and saves progression to disk (or to a remote location).

I dont know how marco would do it but this is how I would approach such a problem; clone or subclass the base perk class, remake all the perks with my custom perk class. A hypothetical serverperks would then load a custom subsystem (disables progression and switches over, more research needed) that reads from writes to these classes and saves to disk.

Once the way the game loads is reverse engineered, then work can start

Nothing is impossible in code. Effort is merely a limiting factor. :)

Hope TWI cuts people like you and Marco some slack.

We trust in you TWI dont lets us down please !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A protected variable/fn only stops non members from accessing the data. You can still create a SRPerk class and use said protected variables.

Yes but the issue gets extended as a couple of other perk functions or vars I should say are private, some though are easy to get around but others are confusing such as ServerSelectPerk

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It wasn't random. There was a loophole in the security of the game so we closed it (along with several others). If those mutators had been loaded as mutators instead of serveractors they would have deranked servers from the start.

Security holes are important, especially in a game where stats are important. The massive player servers were also throwing off our stats collection (which is a major factor in how we make balance choices for the game). Any sort of mutator could have been loaded via that method (and we have reasons to believe some already were) to manipulate stats in anyway the creator wanted to.

If we wanted to "kill it", we could have. We didn't. Most of us find those servers fun (half the programming team was in one today).

The stats system is part of a walled garden, mods are a sandbox where anything goes. For now we are taking a similar aproach to how we treated Killing Floor 1. Mods can submit to be whitelisted (at some point) if they do not make changes to the core gameplay loop.

Thanks for your reply, when you put it like that then I guess it's reasonable. I only hope once you're done stat collecting that ranked >6 servers can be whitelisted.

I also thought health pools were increased accordingly for Zeds where there were above 6 players but then I did find it suspicious at times when Hans would be killed within 10-20 seconds and at other times a good few minutes.

Upvote 0